What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Update on my Mun mission:

It was a close. freaking. shave. But I made it! Look at that fuel... 3.28 units left.

KSP2014-09-1100-41-18-19.jpg~original

*cue up "Bad to the Bone" for the fireworks as we barrel through the atmosphere at 2+km/s*

KSP2014-09-1100-43-05-39.jpg~original

In an effort to not take up so much room on here I'm going the way of Imgur... I present to you: My first space station of this career.

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="//imgur.com/a/ryEg5/embed"></iframe>

Edited by Duke23

Today I finally went successful at getting the two first parts of Kassandra - Minmus Science Base to orbit Minmus. The idea is to complete that science base in orbit, and then deorbit it into some flat lands. There's already a rover over there, which is now sniffing around, looking for the perfect place to land it.

Additionally, the guys at KSS reported that one experiment I left running there has been successfully completed. And then I learnt that,

, in order to correctly use the Spectrometron, we gotta dock the experiment at the Spectrometron itself. That means undocking it first, in case you had docked it somewhere else in the same station. I guess I'm wrong. Perhaps you'll need to undock and redock the same experiment at the station in order to have it recognized by the Spectrometron. Well, derp. Looks like the Spectrometron is only suitable to analyze soil samples. They are of no use with any of the experiments. My bad, d'oh. :huh:

But as the experiment and the Spectrometron docking ports don't match, I had to deorbit the experiment and do an epic landing relying only on the RCS ports. I've reached the surface at 40m/s, and the probe core sacrificed itself in order to let the experiment survive and be recovered safely.

R.I.P. Probe Core. Sorry, no pictures for that one.

BUT PICS FOR EVERYTHING ELSE!

<iframe class="imgur-album" src="//imgur.com/a/TP4q9/embed" frameborder="0" height="550" width="100%"></iframe>

Edited by Kowgan

Didn't have time for much last night. Realized the 'Tater Catcher I had up for my next rock catching expedition wasn't going to cut it - the AN was 104 degrees after launch, so I launched another 'Tater Catcher into a polar orbit. Still 44 degrees off, but I was able to correct that easily enough. Three days until the rock hits Kerbin's SOI; it's set for a collision course, so I imagine that means it'll be going pretty slow when it finally does enter the SOI and I have a fair shot at grabbing it while it's still out there towards Minmus.

I realized that my first Duna window is coming up. Probably means I need to get my crap together if I'm going to go.

After playing Dwarf Fortress for some days, I returned to KSP. Put my communication relays for Moho in a parking orbit around Kerbin, not without loosing some rockets due to a lack of struts...

The I continued my fine print rover mission on the Mün. To save on funds, I decided to drive the whole way from my munar base, what might still take a few hours to get there, and of course Dondas Kerman, the brave rover driver, will have to return to the base afterwards, again taking several hours of driving... Maybe I'll give the latest bugfix release of df another try, before I continue...

I had a NERVA in orbit to test, and used a Mk1-2 pod as there was a kern stuck in orbit I could also rescue. Did that. I had a guy orbiting the Mun who was going to run out of life support, so I figured I'd send the nuke… long story short, the burn was sorta long, and I got distracted and walked away from the computer for a couple minutes. When I had returned the ship had used all the propellant, and was in an orbit with an apoapsis halfway to Jool.

Those 2 guys are going to die, sadly. One doesn't seem bummed as he's particularly stupid, the other is resigned to his fate.

Today I came to the realization that the current cocktail of mods I'm using (mostly Snacks, RemoteTech, and a severe cutting of science gains) means that I'm going to be sending a lot of snacks to Duna, when I instead had intended to send a probe.

I just simply can't get enough Kerbin SOI science to unlock dishes good enough to control a probe as far away as Duna.

And today I came to the realization that to get enough snacks for the trip on the same ship, I'll need so much more in the realm of engines and support structures that it's actually CHEAPER - science wise - to go for the larger dish.

Which is a problem because I'd already ruled out the dish as possible due to the severely limited science I get from the Kerbin system.

So I guess I gotta tweak my "Superhard mode" rules a little :)

Edited by 5thHorseman

And today I came to the realization that to get enough snacks for the trip on the same ship, I'll need so much more in the realm of engines and support structures that it's actually CHEAPER - science wise - to go for the larger dish.

Which is a problem because I'd already ruled out the dish as possible due to the severely limited science I get from the Kerbin system.

So I guess I gotta tweak my "Superhard mode" rules a little :)

Or you could reward yourself for realizing that it was cheaper science wise to get the bigger dish, think of it as a research grant in the form of science points LOL.

I finally got B9 running on my rig. I finished my XB-70 design.

SpYu6Uw.jpg

ZvYzuN7.png

Unfortunately it almost seemed my engines did not spool up to 100 percent for some reason. They were even making noses which are usually created at two thirds power, so reluctantly I ditched the whole package for now. Lots of promise in it, but a few tweaks still are needed.

On a side note I would like to personally thank the individual who was doing all the tweakscale shots and providing some inspiration. I updated my infernal robotics which requires it and put it to use. I see lots of shenanigans potential as well as air hogging taken to new extremes, oversized 48-7 engines and nukes. Landing gears scaled to make a plane look correct as well as larger intakes so they are not spammed as much on the fuselage.

Cadzillas high stance, high speed, high weight and good behavior are chosen as a baseline for some jacked up plane additions.

O9wpayg.jpg

JMQlN8r.jpg

JyyrZj0.png

R9TDfyK.jpg

Of course that reentry bit with oversize parts does have a tendency to rip stuff off.

kGtc45V.jpg

Edited by sumrex

What do you think about the engine as it is? Again, it's supposed to be a stackable 0.625m monoprop equivalent of the Rockomax 48-7s.

lowest poly ever, but it somehow fits in with the goal as some sort of super edgy engine that all the teens are raving about. Edgier than Zuko from ATLA. Edgier than Ryuuko Matoi from Kill la Kill. Edgier than Knuckles the hedgehog.

9ba.jpg

lowest poly ever, but it somehow fits in with the goal as some sort of super edgy engine that all the teens are raving about. Edgier than Zuko from ATLA. Edgier than Ryuuko Matoi from Kill la Kill. Edgier than Knuckles the hedgehog.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/666/360/9ba.jpg

Is... is Ed flipping me off? :P

I didn't use a lot of Polys because, according to the KSP Wiki, the standard number of sides for 0.625m parts is 18, and I didn't want it to stand up from the crowd because it's supposed to be a stock-a-like part. :)

I am in the process of attempting the Jool 5 challenge and I broke my personal record for largest single payload into orbit.

E4yBgZj.png

d28x0Na.png

It weighs in at just over 400 tons after circularization. Now I just have to finish refueling it and attaching the bits with the kerbals.

Edited by KevinW42

I down loaded version 24.2 32 bit version (Been working/playing with the 64 bit version of 24.2). For some reason some mods do not do so well with the 64 bit version. So I am checking by using the newly down loaded version. Loaded it up with:

Firespitter

Goodspeed

KASA

KAX

MechJeb2 (at times I get tired of manual launch to test other functions - ships, etc.)

PixelSpace Micro Probes V1.5

SpaceplanePlus

ModuleManager.2.2.0dll

So Far no freezing up of the system (especially when quitting the program) and I now have a nice ship waiting in orbit (115k) to play with :-)

jSCQUv2.png

I will have to work through the career and science modes again - But that is part of the fun.

"What? It's perfectly reusable! A bit of duct tape and superglue and she'll be fine!"

Well you get most of the money back if you recover, however the crew safety issue is important, an crash during normal plane landing tend to kill the crew because of the landing speed is more than 45 m/s and the cockpit is in front.

Next test went better, I was even able to land on water and return to runway, this is useful during the planned Laythe landing.

It had been a few months since the last time I'd built a proper spaceplane, so I figured I'd try one. Fired up the Sandbox and built a contraption that promptly wheelbarrowed and killed Jeb. The abort stage didn't work because the Sepratrons I used to kick the cockpit clear of the fuselage were buried into the initial design's intakes (damn parts clipping), so instead of cutting Jeb up and free he stayed glued to the rest of the craft as it careened into the ground at 50 m/s. SPH was buggy when I tried to correct the problem (it wouldn't let me re-attach the Sepratrons in a new spot nor would it let me attach a brand new set of Sepratrons to that same spot) and ultimately I just threw up my hands. Don't know if I'll try yet again or not.

Discovered that my Duna window is, contrary to my original assessment, still a good ways off. Still plenty of time to grind out the rest of the tech tree before I even leave Kerbin's SOI. I guess I'm still not used to the whole six-hour day as yet.