What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

jlOONhi.jpg

I have successfully brought my flag mining ship/base back into Munar orbit. After long refueling operation and minor tasks it is time to go for Minmus and after refueling there I hope to bring that whale to other planet.

The last few days I sent manned missions in polar orbits to Kerbin, the Mun, and Minmus to get low orbit readings on all biomes. With the parts I unlocked I built a 2-man science jet and collected every bit of science I could except for the poles.

My next step it to make manned landings on one of the two moons.

Went for a little late night test drive of the new explorer vehicle in preparation for my Kerbin Circumnavigation Challenge attempt.

VPyBTQQ.png

All the signs are pointing to me needing bigger engines for this to work...

At least, it floats!

Today I ... gave up.

I've been trying to build and fly super-heavy SSTO MkIII spaceplanes (220 to 250 tons on runway) into orbit for the past several weeks and it just will. not. work. The bloody things just flip perpendicular to the air stream at high altitude every. single. damn. time.

So I'm just abandoning the whole plan and going back to rockets. It's not often I give up on a challenge, but this one has beaten me.

Well played KSP.

Valentina flew on a 4km EVA from her ship through low Kerbin orbit to get close enough to poor stranded Strovan (spl?) to switch control and enable his own EVA, after which they both jet-packed another 4km back to the mothership for a successful rescue.

It wasn't too extreme, but it was unusual for my missions and it definitely felt like Valentina was earning her BadS flag. Constantly switching back and forth to coax the simultaneous final approach was challenging and very satisfying.

Isn't it funny how we credit our little Kerbals with successes we ourselves perform? It's like a comic, Kerbal-ish form of modesty

I am rescuing a kerbal on the Mun. His name is Johnmin Kerman and he is one of at least four kerbals who have been waiting... stranded… at four different locations on the Mun... for 43 years. I sent him a rover and I intend to drive west around the Mun to pick up the others, until I reach the last kerbal and drop the rest off there, at which time I will sent an ascent vehicle to bring them home. They're all retired by now.

I created a useless compendium of my line of Pointless Planes in early career game. I have not even breached the sound barrier with anything taking off horizontally and I'm fine with it. Stock jet performance in 1.02 does resemble early jet aircraft. Subsonic, fuel-guzzling and wonderfully ear-splittingly loud.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Sent up the final (for now) module for my servicing station. Once my Kerbal crew is aboard, I'll shoot it off to an equatorial Minmus orbit where it will service my fleet and even serve as a shipyard for future vessels (once I figure out how to work Extraplanetary Launchpads properly...).

Well did a neat little contract mission on Mün. Starting with it in the dark one:

1C170A084F5D1ADF88A4435288345664BACC3855

Reason for the first one was to show you I did it at night and backwards with plane wheels and not rover wheels:

A4FADF14611E3034E37A37C96EBA85BDE3B54E67

Yup. It was a retraive part contract from surface. Not planning on doing any more of those was able to lift off Mün's surface and return to Kerbin. Could have done it with less chutes. But, was safer to make sure it landed safely:

10A9D3233ED8CD7AD7560149C7767B942ADD91C3

32457717A8C100D670EFB0C1481F4804651A1A2D

18571363309_20474c6d55_z.jpg

I made an Apollo-type thing, all stock except the 5m Space-Y lower stage, powered by fuel cells, with a rover. It flew perfectly, got the lander on Mun just fine, and got home, the only glitch being the rover sank into the ground and wouldn't move. Not bad for a 1st test flight. But on return, I undershot my attempt to land at KSC and crashed the capsule into the Reentry Mountains, killing all aboard.

My science lab on the Mun led by Bob was a success although at the time of landing, it turned out it only had about 200 dV left after Bob got carried away exploring some biomes. Anyway, It's been up there for quite a while now so I decided to send Jeb up in a lander to transmit some leftover space data, land and get the Pilot & Engineer back to Kerbin, while leaving the two scientists to complete the research in the lab.

Here's a group photo of the science mission team while Jeb is waiting in the lander, keeping the meter running:

yQKfGV1.png

screenshot73.png

Tweaked my fighter jet a little more, as of now it'll go half way around the world sustaining supersonic flight. It's incredibly agile and stable. Anything I try to mod on it aside from adding another fuel pod just makes it worse. So far I have yet to build anything more enjoyable to fly around be it for a fake bombing run or seeing how close I can fly to buildings.

I designed a new mun base meant to be landed in one go.

I crashed it, redesigned it, crashed it again, redesigned, crashed, redesigned the landing stage, crashed one more time and redesigned one final time before it landed.

Not the best view of it, somewhere under all those com arrays is a science lab.

screenshot0_zpslr6nzccm.png

Lander module still didn't work properly, came down a little too hard and the rig had a bit of spring in it, knocked one of the engines off, it had a empty capsule on it which was meant to pick up a stranded kerbal before returning but with the missing engine I just got it off the base and let it crash (that bright white bit you see on the terrain not far from the base is what remained.

Started redesinging Space Station Freedom from ETS. Its the last of my redesigns and flight tests and some handy tricks (as well as an array of edited parts) I've learned have necessitated me redesigning the station. One, it will cut down on part count, and two, it'll look better and be more accurate to the canon art.

This is the Challenger module (the core of the station) being used in testing for the robotic arm component. Here, I've found that while my initial arm was able to get the first half of the cargo out of the AARDV, it can't reach the other half, which will necessitate some extension, and possibly the addition of a telescopic arm, which will be likely as not all cargo will be at the same distances. It will also be useful if I end up needing a little extra oomph for orbital construction.

GCrjMPP.jpg

You also may notice that the main volume of the Challenger is also way too small. >.<

As can be noticed by this picture of what is supposed to be the relative sizes:

FreedomFirstDocking_zps7aaaa42e.png

Edited by G'th