What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

You are so good at that! I wanted to make part mods, but they are too hard for me to Model things and make animations for them. :(

Not particularly exciting, but bearing in mind I have only been playing for about 6 weeks (solidly 5 or 6 hours a night!!) but managed to build a Rocket (in Career mode) and take 3 tourists on a sub-orbital flight of Kerbin, Orbital of Kerbin, Fly by Mun, Orbit of Mun, Fly by Minmus and land on Minmus!! Managed to do all 3 tourists in the same mission. The proudest moment was when I realised I forgot to build on some landing struts, so managed to literally touch the Surface of Minmus on the Engine before getting back into orbit and then flew it home!!

Scott Manley is a legend - and having watched all 24 episodes of his "KSP for beginners guide" several times I would not have been able to get anything done without watching and learning from his youtube videos. I have even managed a docking which was no small task either!!

last night i attempted to build something to get to Eve orbit... I built something i felt that could get there and tried. I wasn't into any worthwhile window (i actually nearly did the whole turn around the sun to reach it), but i manage to reach it.

2015-06-18-2.jpg_zpsdfcftqbv.jpg

Once i did, i figured "hey, lets try and see how suborbital i need to do for the tourist contrat... No matter how close i got, i still couldnt get a complete... which also helped me realize that you can't get very close to Eve without being dragged down....

2015-06-18.jpg_zpsokylupud.jpg

So i landed. Still no suborbital mission complete??? then i realized.... i forgot the tourist! It's okay tho, it was only in "simulator"...

Today I didn't do anything in KSP, because I was flying home from Maryland, where I had taken a tour of the Goddard Space Center. I got to walk around the floor, look at some of they're vacuum chambers, some satellite control rooms, and even got to take a peak at the James Webb Space Telescope under construction! One thing they don't tell you about space travel: everything they build is big.

Last night I did some more science farming around KSC with Bob's Wacky Sciencemobile 7. I realized that I had unlocked the Barometer since the last time I'd updated the design of the vehicle, and its addition gave me just enough science points to get KIS connector ports unlocked. And also big orange tanks. Same node, see.

Anyways, I designed and launched a fuel module for the New Horizons space station orbiting Kerbin, and got it rendezvoused and docked up. I was then able to refuel the Raven 7 spaceplane also docked to the station at the time and then pull most of the remaining fuel out of the booster core still attached to the station, which was then jettisoned and sent plummeting back down to Kerbin. I hadn't put chutes on the thing and when I went to switch between the station and the Raven (which I'd undocked by then) the game put me in control of the damn booster, which at that point was in atmo - the game wouldn't let me switch back. So I got to ride the thing all the way down like Slim Pickens. Some of the parts actually survived the crash at 130 m/s and I did get a recovery...

Anyway, after refueling the Raven, I looked at the station's compliment of visitors to see where their itineraries would take them. I had four of them whose destinations included Mun, so I went and ahead and loaded them into the Raven and had Jeb set a course. They'll head to Mun Port 7; there's a Mun Buggy 7 lander already docked to Mun Port, so the ones that are headed to the surface should be able to just head straight down once they're docked up. I'm debating as to whether or not I should have Jeb wait to take them back towards Kerbin or if I should have him head on; I'm leaning towards waiting, as I don't have a lot of other tourists heading towards Mun at the moment.

And with the connector port finally unlocked, I designed a rescue craft for Valentina and her batch of tourists currently stranded on Minmus. I didn't have any available pilots left, so Bill's in a Mk2 Lander Can with an OKTO core piloting the thing, with (hopefully) the necessary parts to get the tourists into the rescue ship stowed in KIS containers. The plan is to attach a winch to the rescue lander once it arrives on Minmus, connect a docking port and antenna to Val's crashed craft (to fulfill a contract to put an orbital outpost on Minmus, knock on wood), then attach a connector port to the crashed ship and plug in the winch cable. If the plan works, the game will consider the two craft docked - and will allow a transfer between modules to take place. I've heard KIS folks talk about using pipes to "liquefy their Kerbals" and move them around places...this I think would be akin to "beaming" them. And if that plan fails, I've brought extra connector ports...

Edited by capi3101

Finally brought home my first Minmus/Kerbol training mission.

Burned at periapps down to an orbit below 80x80, Realized that i was orbiting retrograde but with 1km/d delta-v left I figured I could slow down enough that the extra speed would not be an issue.

Was off in my landing and hit the mountains, slid for a bit and stopped.

But when I recovered the vessel, I only got 3 pilots, no engineers or scientists.

I checked and no dead Kerbals, but apparently some debris and another Minmus training ship landed on Kerbin.

Went to look at it and it was the pair of hitchhiker containers that were in the Mk3 cargo bay, and they started rolling down the mountain.

Fortunately the goo canister on the side provided enough of a bump to give me a moment to recover the vessel after a couple of revolutions.

So now I have my 5 level 3 scientists and 1 level 3 engineer for my Duna/Ike mission(with a lab for a station mission and ISRU refueling on Ike).

Fortunately I have the community science tree installed(with lots and lots of empty nodes, many of the quite expensive), or else I would have nothing to spend all that research on that I will be getting from the lab.

(Still not sure if topping off the fuel and ore canister on Minmus on the way out will give me more or less of a safety buffer, but as my current launching system will probably leave me about 500m/s short of LKO, I am guessing more, I might even go back to the smaller launcher which was even shorter of LKO as I could empty half my fuel tanks and still make Minmus with a huge reserve, with 4 drills and a level 3 engineer I should be able to produce >1K LF/hour if I can find a 5% concentration (the converter could handle roughly 3 times that, so it is not a bottleneck))

I started building a replica of Skoda Kauba SK. P.14.01 :D

Here are some pics:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Note: The landing gears are just for testing the final version will include a tricycle undercarriage ;)

Some info about the real aircraft: http://www.luft46.com/misc/skp14.html

- - - Updated - - -

I continued to wait for 1.0.3 patch.

I too haha :P

I learned that the docking indicator bug is still not fixed in 1.0.2 stock for docking port unaligned with the CoG (such as the inline ones).

It's hard to believe nobody at SQUAD found the time to fix this in the lead up to 1.0: This is a pretty well known bug (countless reports here), it's trivial to reproduce, and I'm fairly sure it would take less than half a day to fix. First time rant at SQUAD, but seriously! Like if docking space plane (which have huge moment of inertia) wasn't finicky enough...

sASILpw.png

I know these are two incompatible docking ports. It's the same with compatible ones, but this allowed me to litterally stick the two docking ports onto one another to better demonstrate the issue.

In b4 "you could just install the docking aids mod instead of waiting for SQUAD to fix it".

Is it as unfloppy as it looks?

No it was floppy in the atmosphere. If there is a way to connect a part on two nodes at once I haven t found it. So I think 2 fuel tanks on extremities are only connected on one side. And I didn t bother with struts because it is too large for VAB and painful to work on. Anyway with joint reinforcement and without gravity turn I was able to launch it and now without atmosphere it's unfloppy even under acceleration.

Edited by Nookos

So today I started my new mission report series. I've always wanted to write missions reports, but real life seems to always get in the way. That and lack of consistent will. Sigh. Well, I decided to finally give it a proper go, and I thought what better handrail than a forum challenge to guide me! My Apollo Applications Project is going to be spun up in a separate thread below. No schedule, no overarching format beyond the initial challenge; just letting the missions guide the writing and seeing where it goes! And thanks Gregoxmun for the inspiration to do this!

Contact Light - Apollo and Beyond

Sent a mission to Minnmus... Got there just fine, rendezvous went great, docking went great, landing was flawless.

It was only once the Kerbals got involved that things went downhill. FIRST THING Bob touches simply explodes. SO I go to bust out the tools from KIS...

Nope. No spares of this part. Anywhere. I feel like an idiot.

So, I scramble back to the VAB and slap together a seriously overpowered probe with the spare on it, and launch it. Do a high-energy burn to make it to Minmus in only six hours, which is about 7 times faster than the far more efficient Hohmann transfer I prefer... but I nailed it. No need for a midcourse correction, just straight into Minmus's SoI and to a fairly low orbit, and with plenty of fuel to spare. So, now it's time to run this little cargo probe down to the crew with the new part.

Victory has been snatched from the jaws of defeat this day!

EDIT: Delivery made! The crew now have a rather spacious habitat to call home now while they explore the Lesser Flats of Minmus!

Edited by MaverickSawyer