What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

My 2 Elcano ground based prototypes keep on falling apart the moment I say go! I know the general rule is "when in doubt, Strut about", but adding more struts seems to make no difference! They keep failing spectacularly... maybe it's time to finally go back to the drawing board? I always thought with KSP in general, I had to go big or go home, but now... maybe a smaller lighter vehicle might do a better job?

But then I want to take everyone along on this world cruise and sightseeing tour!

The Great polar Adventure has begun. An Argosy freighter has been kitted out as a flying lab plus accommodation, stores and KAS equipment (just in case). Very close to maximum take off weight, not helped by having to carry oxidiser for the fuel cells (I could do with Overlander's loco generator as a mod!).

Seen here having just done the mid-flight fuel re-balance. I have put the autopilot back on and a modest amount of timewarp so Camvis & Mitby can relax up for a while:

"Twist... ...Twist... ...Twist... ...Bust!"

OYu9J1hl.png

Landed around 500m from the pole, avoiding the creases in the terrain (so as not to enrage the Kraken).

They have opened the sunroof but won't deploy the solar panels until the scientists arrive. Camvis unloads the Snowrover.

It's a tight fit so Mitby is giving guidance:

"Right hand down a bit..."

1e85P0kl.png

The next day Val flew the scientists out in the Biz Jet with Bill, who is going to be second engineer. Camvis will go back to base so he can fly out the test plane later:

"Welcome to your home for the next two weeks. Please do not walk on the grass..."

PgmY62Cl.png

I started a new career (yesterday). Today I sent a survey probe to Mun, then sent a lander down to scout for nice flat bits to set up base.

Unfortunately Bill didn't find anywhere suitable where he was able to get to, will either bribe Val to move the lander or wait till Jeb finishes packing his snacks and delivers the rover.

screenshot7_zpsvyhx9jpn.png

Bill just realized he has to walk the 3.5km home....

Not much accomplished last night. Launched a space station core to Kerbin orbit for a contract; the core will ultimately be sent to Minmus to set up research efforts out there. Melfort snuck aboard while I wasn't looking, so at this point I have no available KSC ground staff whatsoever. Hasn't happened in quite some time.

Tried landing a Ballista 7 cargo plane I'd launched a while back. Crap got hot and exploded, and then the whole plane disintegrated. I still have yet to retrieve one of those intact.

Tried launching another Ballista, this one to fulfill a Mun probe contract. That one got hot and exploded on launch, first time that's happened. That plane designed flew a lot better before I stuck canards up front - I'ma thinking those are going to go before I try to fly one again.

Meantime, I've got a lot of stuff in transit, a fair amount of it (no fewer that three flights) headed to Minmus.

attempt #2 at Eve trip was a success. I used the Eve atmosphere to slow myself down, which was scary, even at 66 km...

I also lifted my Mars station, to land it on Ike. That was quite a challenge, since the station doesnt have much thrust, and i had to jettison half its ore to get in orbit, and use that ore to make some fuel once in orbit to reach ike...

As Step 2 of my "Explore the Mun" contract (Achieve Orbitâ€â€having already recovered data from space during a previous flyby, and not yet having landed or recovered surface data), I threw Bob Kerman out there. Might have overengineered the ship just a tad, with the result that I had more fuel than I knew what to do with. So after getting into a basic orbit, I reoriented into a 55-58km polar orbit and just went wild on EVA reports. Got near-space EVA reports for all 15 biomes, then sent Bob home. (Had enough fuel to add a Minmus flyby, easily, but I'm holding out on that until I get an "Explore Minmus" contract, because I'm greedy with my contracts like that.) Naturally managed to land at Kerbin during night-time, because that seems to be the only time I ever manage to land anything.

Total Science collection from the flight of Werecat II: Approximately 600. Good job, Bob!

Have a couple of contracts to address before the next munar flight: Need to get a satellite up around Kerbin, do some land surveys, and do a rendezvous-rescue. By the time that's done, hopefully we'll be able to step onto the Mun!

After making an unmanned miner and pumping some ore from Minmus and the Mün for contracts, I took a contract to put a space station in solar orbit. Realised I had a few km/s to spare and that I was in a Jool transfer window, so I thought I might as well swing it that way. The first trysimulation of the miner crashed into Minmus because I was too busy calculating a suicide burn :P

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Finally got my rover down to Mun so Bill doesn't have to walk everywhere...

screenshot13_zpsgtq00nvs.png

And shortly after found a nice flat bit for me to start building my Mun colony so the flag is stuck down as a marker, now just time to start building the colony...

screenshot14_zpsbnd3pub1.png

Today, I forgot (again) to stage my chutes before take off . . .

fGi3w2a.png

I hope I'm not the first to do that :)

O, claimed the Northpole for us Dutchies aswel :P

WgnCGc0.png

Edited by Triop

Today, I forgot (again) to stage my chutes before take off . . .

*snip*

I hope I'm not the first to do that :)

Nope certainly not the first, wont be the last either.

At least you didn't do what I usually do on my spaceplanes. When coming in for a landing if I am off course I will turn on my jet engines but rather than use the action group I tend to think I have to stage... and then there goes my chute....

A hoax Munar mission never intended to go to the Mun actually went to the Mun. Naturally there are huge problems. No thrusters for guidance. Not enough fuel to escape the Mun's gravity. Our unlikely heroine, a first-time space pilot, decides to use the falling descent module as a springboard to achieve Munar orbit using suit thrusters.

And uses said suit thrusters to align orbital planes with and intercept a micro-shuttle diverted to make one and only one pass near her, from its initial 800km flyby mission with barely enough fuel to make the necessary plane changes and then to burn out of Munar SOI.

Full disclosure here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/126010-My-Space-Program-is-in-utter-disarray

tD8oySL.jpg

HXbGeec.jpg

Back to spaceplanes again. Small ones... and today i built my most successful small SSTO so far in 1.0.3. Still not the performance of that i had back in .90, but getting better. This little dude made it to a solid circular 110 km orbit with 300 dV in vacuum and even more in atmosphere to spare. Reentry went quite nice, it only experienced a little jitter when flying mostly empty in low altitudes below 2000 m. I managed a clean touchdown on the runway, but somehow got off and broke a wing - good to have drogue chutes to slow down... but hey... i went to space today.

Jeb flooring the pedals during ascend

qKwrlxB.png

110 km orbit established

X8lootG.png

Clean powered approach to the runway

1r0VLpE.png

Lost a wing, but Jeb is home safely.

Q56Cjjd.png

Time to continue tweaking this design. I dont like the clipped capsule, a smaller inline cockpit would really suit it more appropriate... lets see...

Edited by Frank_G

Played around a lot last night. Made a plane that had a stable altitude of around 13.5 km and ose not need a lot of course correction to keep it there going at a decent 175 m/s with a small payload:

926A6D636C261913152C7FD24A80BDB1E099E72A

Lands very nice too on Kerbin. Not sure about Lythe:

435054A70D54CE3D5AA94F8D641D0757E723C6C2

As you can see. The whole point was to deliever a rover to Kerbin's Desert to test out the first surface ore detector. Before trying it out on Mün and Minmus.

Today I've been chipping away at a "mega mission" which involves a number of contracts on Eve, Gilly, Duna, Ike and Bop. Thanks to the ISRU converter I'm able to do it all with one ship! All the contracts are set to net my space program about 9 million cash, in addition to science and reputation :)

Used my BLOCK fOUR b "SWAN" to put up my second Jool Nuclear Tug (Bot ship), T-130 days until launchwindow

jiaoSY8.png

Then rendezvous with previously lifted Fuel pod, witch will later be used as stationcore around Laythe, or maybe Jool.

ynfb4Zj.png

While putting up the last module of my Jool mission... uhhh

jE6LpEZ.png

uuuhhh... and now i know why this happened: look at the navball heading, the Swan was guided from the wrong unit (inside the fairing, attached backwards)... should have seen it... uhhhh.

Good thing no Kerbals inside, would have being dissapointed of me :D...

Edited by Mikki