What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Almost there. First order of the day, Hiyori brings up the en-route hab and science modules...

Xa6od4p.png

Meg EVA's out to reposition an ore scanner...

AncVuBl.png

And now the ship finally has a brain. Delta-v numbers look good, probably have too many fuel tanks actually.

6fwrQ6v.png

After many long weeks, finally time for an engine test! A short burn raises the orbit to 250x199km. She's extremely wobbly when turning but the "space-train" configuration straightens out as soon as enough power is applied.

Wc4bXjV.png

Followed by two of the most accurate Hiyori landings ever...

s0zkYjT.png

P53nPQe.png

Summer Kerman spent some time driving around KCS for just a bit more science...

Lmv9bnK.png

And finally, need a holding tank for FuelOx once on Duna. Just needed an empty tank so played around with a stage-and-a-half setup ala Atlas.

MTBsB78.png

Yup, just a tank... and legs... and parachutes...

PWTvtKW.png

Numbers were spot on... ran out of fuel with only 5m/s left in the circularization burn. Plenty of monoprop to complete the rendezvous & docking.

z7Stb5B.png

Which have no record. Apparently KSP glitched out and didn't record any screenshots of that, or of the long-awaited final module. :mad:

Everyone else is like "So, today I got the last 8000 tonnes of my mining mission into Jool orbit, now just waiting on 300 crew members."

I'm like "Hey, got something into orbit without shaking itself to bits." :)

44AE778ED57F398086B59F9EE13F55EAC5E95F4E

I've stranded Valentina on the Kerbin orbit ...

52CBC59AF1C700CA17E48826AE6BF10660292596

Jeb is also up there but on the sub-orbital flight with a drop of fuel left so i probably will be able to brake and land back on the planet .. and then i have to mount a rescue OP which is gonna be nigh-immposible for me since its my first "real" Career mode play ( up to this point i dabbled with Sandbox a little ).. Poor Valentina.

Everyone else is like "So, today I got the last 8000 tonnes of my mining mission into Jool orbit, now just waiting on 300 crew members."

I'm like "Hey, got something into orbit without shaking itself to bits."

Same here. People are making SSTO, trips around Kerbal Solar System in one rocket and im struggling to put anything in orbit of Kerbal :(

Edited by Trajan

What did I do today? I rescued a Kerbal from his derelict ship! And it was fantastic!

It wasn't easy though. After trying the Docking Training mission about 50 times, I had had it. I hate that training mission. When I try to make adjustments after doing what Gene says, the "Next" button turns from lit to grey, thereby halting progression. Or, I would blow all my fuel getting the two red arrows to line up, which sucked. I HATE that mission. Like I said, I tried and tried and finally just said screw it, I'll do it myself.

So, I loaded up my campaign which had 3 Kerbals needing rescue. Two were in a low orbit (80K) and other was a lot further out. So, I said, well this will be easy, all I have to do is go into a miniscule orbit and get this guy. Well, I get up there, picked a guy to rescue, then find out that I can't get to him, his orbit is very symmetrical and so is mine, plus we are both very close to falling out of orbit, so I can't retrograde much. In the training mission, this part was easier because the rescuee is further out. Well, I played with the maneuver node for about 10 minutes and finally figured out what to do. I had to place my orbit so that it crossed the other guy's orbit altitude-wise. Then I could intersect him with a maneuver. I'm constantly learning something with this game.

So, anyway, I haven't even gotten to the best part. I had never put RCS on my ships before, so this was all new. I finally get to within a kilometer of him and then had to play with the thrust to get closer. We passed each other a few times, but finally I get really close. I had never messed with the RCS controls, or even knew they existed. The only thing I knew was H for forward.

The other day, when trying the docking training for the 34th time, I had gotten close to the ship, but could not for the life of me stop spinning around the other ship. I was going crazy, only to find out later that there are other controls besides H. LOL No wonder! You idiot!

So, I start messing with the RCS controls tonight and they are really quite responsive. =) You can actually move behind the other ship and stop spinning all over the place! LOL

So, I get to within 5 meters of the other ship. I can't believe it. This is great! I've never been so close!

Originally, I thought I'd have to dock, but then just realized I needed to EVA the guy.

So, I switch ships and EVA the guy. I'd never used the EVA controls before either. They really make you go fast.

I had put 3 ladders on my pod, but discovered he cannot reach the entry hatch unless he is using the ladder right under it. So, I made him grab that one and brought him inside. I couldn't believe I had actually done it!

A few minutes later we landed in the water. Mission complete!

I did this without reverting except when I had to reload after taking Gene's advice to retrograde at 60K. That was a mistake. I reloaded and just used my best judgement about when to slow down.

This is probably my greatest accomplishment so far in this game, next to figuring out how to get 2 attached hitchhiker pods back to Kerbin safely without one smacking the ground too hard and blowing up.

Lot's of fun! Thanks, Squad.

Edited by lost_in_space
corrected mistakes

After a usual share of desperate housewifery to get a rogue habitation module into docking position by hand, and various other zero-gravity sheninigans like chasing after suitcases floating away on their own accord after detaching from the resupply ship, orbital station POS-1 is now operational and ready for its self-deployment transit to the Mun.

fHxilPM.jpg

On its way, the crew transfer vehicle (now stripped of its solar panels and other useful systems) will be jettisoned after its Poodle engine is expended during the planned transmunar injection sequence.

Or I could just leave it floating around as an analogue to the early Soviet Salyut/Almaz type DOS stations. In terms of features the station is quite a POS and intended as a docking platform / crew rest station for a munar lander campaign, anyway.

hvnUDtB.jpg

Yesterday I finallyâ€â€for the first time since 0.22 (the last time I played in any meaningful capacity)â€â€landed a kerbal on the Mun.

I actually had a contract to rescue another kerbal stranded in equatorial orbit around the Mun, but having not yet unlocked the advanced Command Modules, and since the stranded kerbal was an Engineer, I couldn't figure out a safe and efficient way to both rescue Podrey Kerman and land a Scientist on the Mun in the same flight (unsafe and inefficient ways? Sure!). Since the duration of the rescue mission was ten years, I assumed Podrey had plenty of life support kicking around and just threw Bob directly at the Mun, waving to Podrey as he went flying past.

And Bob was just super-stoked about it.

2015-06-21_00001.jpg

Fortunately, Bob had more than enough fuel to get home, although reentry was a little rough.

2015-06-21_00002.jpg

I didn't design the portion of the ship that would be reentering very well, it seems, as it kept wanting to flip around and dive in nose-first. Fortunately, I had slapped a HECS core in the service bay (since Bob doesn't know how to pilot) and was able to tell it to just follow the retrograde marker. That proved exhausting enough to drain the entire electrical supply, but it kept the module pointed nose-up long enough to make it through the atmospheric furnace, allowing a safe and wholly intact landing. Bob is now a legend among kerbal-kind.

I decided to do something stupid ; do 3 mission at the same time ;

1 around jool

1 landing on Duna

1 landing a base on Eve

All 3 were a success (even if about half the manoeuvre i had to do were 1-10 days from each other... for all 3... every, freaking, time.

At first i wanted to investigate Bop, but i was affraid i'd run out of fuel, so i decided against it. Going to Jool still was pretty cool.

On Duna, i had a plan to leave a no-name on the ground to plan a flag... but forgot to bring anyone. And when i wanted to send research, i realized that the only antenna i had burnt during entry...

Eve was another success. The base was pretty simple, but landing on Eve is always stressful (to me at least).

Had a pretty busy weekend overall. After installing FAR Froude, I went ahead and removed the forward canards from the Ballista 7 and launched the plane to orbit. It got plenty hot but nothing broke (for once), and I was ultimately able to deploy its payload successfully. I went ahead and cold-soaked the plane before attempting to land and that helped matters when it came to the de-orbit; I was able to fly the plane to the KSC Runway, quicksaving at 12 klicks out. I then proceeded to crash the plane a dozen times; the final time, the plane bounced twice before I ripped the v-tail off - but nothing else broke and I was annoyed, so I declared victory and moved on. Still managed to recover 2/3 the cost of the whole plane, even with the damage.

Meanwhile, I sent the Ballista probe onto the Mun for a contract; that all went well. I also topped off the Raven 7 that Jeb had used to bring up some tourists to the New Horizons station and then sent Jeb and a batch of tourists from there on to Munport 7, and from there I sent down Jeb and a batch of tourists to the Northwest Crater. Jeb did a crew report, an EVA report and collected a surface sample, and then headed back to Munport. Job done, Jeb and the tourists headed back to Kerbin, re-rendezvousing with New Horizons as several of the tourists also had Minmus on their travel itineraries. At this point, New Horizons needs some more fuel brought up from Kerbin to refuel the Raven; I began working on a fuel plane late in the evening on Sunday. Didn't finish up that effort and I'm not hopeful as to my chances of success with it given that I don't have Mk3 parts just yet, and I'm guesstimating a 120 tonne plane will be required for the amount of fuel I want to haul. On the plus side, I've got a contract to test Aerospikes at this point.

And while all this has been going on, Val and her tourists remain languishing on Minmus, Bill's en route, so is Berris with another batch of tourists and Minmusport 7 is also on its way. 4 days...

A double-probe mission, finished rescuing Jebford, and designed and launched a Mystery Mission.

Ks77mb.png

yOSS6R.png

This little probe is so massively overkill for doing a pair of satellite contracts... I was already part of the way out to the higher one (further out than Mun) by the time the final circularisation stage ran out. And even then, there's a lot of delta-v in what remained.

DDoDZa.png

5jvgRU.png

cJcWvk.png

Trying to cram in a landing on top of everything else is what messed up Jebford's previous rescue and left him in LMO, or perhaps it was not judging the delta-v budget correctly. So, this one just picked him up from orbit and went home. A safe return netted me a bunch of science, too. I could get some of the cheaper nodes, but I'm not sure what I want. I'm short a little of Field Science, which is probably what I want to go for.

QTyI6d.png

Fx17it.png

What is this mysterious egg? It contains Jebadiah Kerman and masses 10t from the Terrier up. It's overkill for its mission profile, too, and was lifted on a slightly overkill lifter. But, well, the space program has a large cash reserve, so it's fine.