What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

10 hours ago, Trann said:

Took on yet another rescue to pad out my astronaut roster, someone stranded just outside of Minmus Mun, but as I burned to reach him, the capsule's predicted path suddenly changed -- to an impact on Minmus Mun.

It looks to be too far outside of Minmus SOI yet I'm looking at this path and I'm not sure what to do...

uh-oh_zpsc7ratsun.png

If you can force a close pass, enough to get control of him, without stranding your rescue crew, you just might be able to jetpack him to a stable orbit. Depends on how far ahead of the impact you can manage it.

12 minutes ago, SSgt Baloo said:

It's the Super Chicken, powered by a single Juno engine. It's a bit deliberate in roll, but otherwise it flies rather well. and has a very low take-off speed.

I stole heavily borrowed your Super Chicken (he's everywhere, he's everywhere) and made the Screaming Hawk. It has 2 Whiplash engines. I got it up to 1300+ m/s during first flight. It is so grossly overpowered (very Kerbal). It is fairly easy to fly - at half throttle - except for the roll that I can't fix. I did move the ailerons way out on the wings and that helps some. It also has a tendency to turn slightly to the right in flight. Can't figure that out either. It was all built with symmetry on. Is it just me or do MK1 parts refuse to allow square and level wing attachment? I always have to rotate them.

Thanks for the inspiration. 

Today, I landed a supersonic jet on a 30o incline and then collected temperature stats as I constantly had to brake as I "gently" rolled down a 45o slope towards a river, and then I destroyed my engines. I had quicksaved when I had gotten the last temperature scan, so I reloaded and then continued to roll down into the valley. Luckily, once I completed the contract, I was able to use the afterburning engines to get out of the valley 10 feet above the surface of the river. That was the maiden voyage of that plane. #Ballin

12 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Unless you can really expedite the rendezvous, I think your rescuee is doomed. 

That's what I thought, too.  I tried reducing the orbit of the rescue vessel and dropping in a maneuver node to find a better (and sooner) intercept but the timing and delta-v weren't working out.  This vessel was not going to make it.

So I rolled another rescue vessel out to the pad and went with a fast-launch approach: point a little ahead of the target, burn hard to come up undernearth, circularize, and try to catch up.

2-fast-launch_zpsg153qgar.jpg

The first intercept had about 6 km of separation.

3-intercept_zpsrve8uyyl.jpg

Some finesse and I got it well within EVA range.

4-intersect-100m_zpsodyunugh.jpg

Although there's a lot of actual time to get this done, that's a pretty hard deadline ahead.

5-hard-deadline_zpskx2fxlm6.jpg

EVA was quick.  No one admired the view.

6-EVA_zpsia6nzo9h.jpg

Burn for separation to avoid uncontrolled descent into terrain of Mun.

7-separation_zpsjrjrpado.jpg

Separation made! Extra life added!

8-two-paths_zpsvipxrahc.jpg

Time to witness our mortality with capsule contact in 2...

9-contact-in-2_zpssoonivpe.jpg

10-contact-in-1_zpscz7gs9c6.jpg

Contact.

11-contact_zpskz3fia5k.jpg

Let's circularize and get away from Mun SOI...

12-circularization_zpsrjnzi3e2.jpg

Burn Pe down to set up aerobraking and leave enough delta-v to deorbit...

13-aerobraking_zpsjg9hbxyx.jpg

After a dozen or so orbits, the last of the fuel is spent to set up this atmospheric re-entry...

14-splash-down_zpsprw1vs2a.jpg

If you have a song you want to hum, now's the time...

re-entry_zpsd1ixegqu.png

Chutes deployed...

chutes-deployed_zpsbkijruk0.png

...and we have splash down.

15-home_zpswf9w2ujy.png

I can breathe again!  That was the fastest real-time rescue I've ever had to perform.  Wow.

I love this game.

Edited by Trann
Worrds.

today i fulfill my own personal wish that i always had in mind,escaping eve...after 3 failed attempts finally managed to build a good full throttle vessel to go with my space plane,and did more changes on my space plane so it can fully manage eve hostile atmosphere.

docking mission before going to eveo8vv5j.png

28brw3m.png2vttunq.pngwqshoz.png6zriqb.png3324hkw.png

going for high orbit

122kl4y.png25rgy8m.png2vxj68j.png211p09j.png

adjusting my self in the orbit of eve 

2vjtyeo.jpg

refueled my bird,and ready to go

2a0cdty.pngdw2wox.pngmv29ls.png20kx3iv.png2juvpv.png2yo5r9e.png

waited for the right altitude and went full throttle with 4 engines

j5ectz.png

escaping the purple jailhouse :confused: barely got fuel after,but i went to orbit.

5makva.png16bj98i.png

The delivery crew handed over the Munlab to the freshly minted 3 star crew fresh from their excursion outside Kerbins SOI (thank you field experience mod).

Obligatory group photo.

screenshot73_zps7d4zaipw.png

Meanwhile the engineer from the miner supporting operations refuelled the runabout to take the outgoing crew back home for tea, crumpet and medals whilst grumbling about never getting any credit........

screenshot74_zpsqnmivqpa.png

Once back home the returnees were mildly perturbed that instead of a press conference, wild party and quality time with pneumatic actresses they found themselves stuffed into a contraption referred to as "Orbcam 2" and fired off back into space. Rumours that the mission orders were signed by a disgruntled engineer are completely unfounded.

screenshot77_zpsaqnqazej.png

Once in orbit separation did not go as cleanly as planned and required a little rock and roll to clear the cargo frame. The transcript of the conversation with KSP about exactly what all those engineers do all day was unfortunately lost due to someone sabotaging the tape deck. screenshot84_zpsbr1chngc.png

screenshot85_zpszcdckxdr.png

However the facility is now functioning (after an 8 hour tussle with the lens cap) and sending back amazing pictures of somebodies thumb.

2 hours ago, Red Shirt said:

I stole heavily borrowed your Super Chicken (he's everywhere, he's everywhere) and made the Screaming Hawk. It has 2 Whiplash engines. I got it up to 1300+ m/s during first flight. It is so grossly overpowered (very Kerbal). It is fairly easy to fly - at half throttle - except for the roll that I can't fix. I did move the ailerons way out on the wings and that helps some. It also has a tendency to turn slightly to the right in flight. Can't figure that out either. It was all built with symmetry on. Is it just me or do MK1 parts refuse to allow square and level wing attachment? I always have to rotate them.

Thanks for the inspiration. 

Here are more images of the superchicken. The wing wasn't flat, but has compound dihedral. That way, if you turn with the rudder, it will tend to bank in the correct direction, and if you don't mess with the ailerons at all, you can still fly pretty well. Sometimes I have problems with aileron function if they are too far from the centerline of a long-winged plane. They also create drag, sometimes with unpredictable results.

SuperChicken%205.jpg_zpsgnm34dxs.png

More pics of the plane here: http://s28.photobucket.com/user/SSgtBaloo/library/Superchicken?sort=3&page=1

ETA: You're thinking of Chicken Man, my second-favorite poultry-themed superhero. This Super Chicken is a different guy: https://youtu.be/FKss2pBYQ6Y

Edited by SSgt Baloo

23 hours ago, Proteus said:

got spaceplane to eve,not sure for now if i need a rescue mission for it ^_^

got this "lifter" to the orbit

a9trfq.jpg11t78t5.jpg

going to kerbin orbit

160s8ro.jpgdocking with the lifter919b46.jpg2djt56f.jpg1zzj03n.png33cm0av.pnggoing slowly to kerbin high orbit in order to use the warp drive2mx0rd0.pngreally horrendous slow burn in eve orbit,the vessel wasnt steady and i could not go full throttle with it because i would lose control :sealed:acv5nn.png1zch478.pngafter 20+ min burn,hello eve!281zf5d.pngbfeyz9.pngtomorrow i will see how this bird deals with eve atmosphere2q9kgzk.png

Reminds me of the "How We Will Live In Space" articles I used to read as a child. :cool:

Decided to take a bit of a departure from my usual designs when launching my first lander to Minimus in this game.

I usually go for a Mk2 lander can with single set of experiments on board and put a station in orbit with a load of crew that I can train by swapping crew each time the lander refuels.  However this time I decided to go with 2 crew in separate cans so they can bring back 2 sets of experiments from each landing.  The design wouldn't have worked to well on the top of a launch stage either so I ended up with one of my strangest looking launches to date

Launched with 2 Skippers and 2 Mainsails

screenshot4a.jpg

Dropped the skippers

screenshot6a.png

In Kerbin orbit ready to head to Minimus, front section is the orbiting refueling station while the rear is the lander, Not done the maths to see how using a Nuke compares to a conventional engine but I'm hoping the extra weight I'm lugging on each landing will be offset by needing haul less fuel out to Minimus.

screenshot12a.png

Nice wide undercarriage makes it ideal for a landing on Minimus slopes.

screenshot18a.png

Edited by RizzoTheRat

Decided to take a three hour tour

A7DPZSA.png

3yGdi9m.png

Except it was more like a 20 minute tour, as the gas was gone 8.6 km from shore. Naturally the only thing to do was lose some weight.

05aXhyS.png

After explaining that it was too late for that, our intrepid captain was eventually let back on board.

Made a FireFox , flown by Derry('Clint E') Kerban ,that made 3000m/s at altitude.

Then saw that it can be balanced on a VTOL engine. Has two cargo bays, may be good in space also.

FIREFOX-VT.jpg

Edited by algwat

6 hours ago, Momocody said:

Where's the liquid fuel supply? I only see a circular intake, Mk.1 inline cockpit, and an engine. (Are there Mk.0 tanks below the water?)

Actually, you're mistaken. You see a nosecone fuel tank flipped around, instead of an engine. The engine is a Juno.

Also, I honestly doubt I could get up to 63.6 if I had anything below the water. To be honest, I had to strip the Sea Missile down to the bare essentials just to get it going that fast.

I got the brilliant idea to plant flags on mountains, to use as navigational aids. I had one success, but reverted to the hangar when I realized I couldn't get Jeb back in the cockpit. I wanted this to be an "out-and-back" mission.

On the final mission of the day, it occurred to me that the large debris field on that particular peak was flag enough, though I finally did make a touch-and-go landing on the last pass, but I forgot to chop the throttles before I ran out of mountain and had to start flying again. *Shrug*

Some times, you eat the bear, other times, the bear eats you.

Edited by SSgt Baloo

13 hours ago, algwat said:

Made a FireFox , flown by Derry('Clint E') Kerban ,that made 3000m/s at altitude.

Then saw that it can be balanced on a VTOL engine. Has two cargo bays, may be good in space also.

FIREFOX-VT.jpg

I watched that movie many times as a kid, still one of my favorite fictional fighter aircraft. You need to set up a submarine refueling base for it. :)

15 hours ago, Grenartia said:

Actually, you're mistaken. You see a nosecone fuel tank flipped around, instead of an engine. The engine is a Juno.

Also, I honestly doubt I could get up to 63.6 if I had anything below the water. To be honest, I had to strip the Sea Missile down to the bare essentials just to get it going that fast.

That's why there are hydrofoils!

4 hours ago, Stewcumber said:

I made a spinning top

2016-01-03_00015%20%28Custom%29.jpg

Which I then naturally tried to take into space.

Pointless%20Pointy%20Spinny%20Thing.gif

My main plan today is to download Mechjeb or another info mod and get to the Mun and back as my current design lacks the Dv to get back :(

All you have are airbreathing engines. You're not even getting to orbit with that thing, much less the Mun. And you'd be lucky to even break 70km. There's nothing MJ can do to help with that.

Today I made a tongue-in-the-cheek craft resembling Santos-Dumont's 14-Bis...

"Jeb managed to convince the higher-ups and got his hands on a historical craft...

Created by Santos-Dukermont, the 14-Kerbis was one of the first fixed wing airplanes in Kerbal history."

And it flies pretty well! :D

2 hours ago, Thiagobs said:

Today I made a tongue-in-the-cheek craft resembling Santos-Dumont's 14-Bis...

"Jeb managed to convince the higher-ups and got his hands on a historical craft...

Created by Santos-Dukermont, the 14-Kerbis was one of the first fixed wing airplanes in Kerbal history."

And it flies pretty well! :D

I love these sort of planes. Thumb's up! What are you using for propulsion, there?

Today I am attempting to do a polar circumnavigation of Kerbin, using a 2.5 meter command pod and a couple of the "Wheezy" engines, It's airliner fast, but not Concorde fast. In the distance, you can see Mount Jebidiah, marked by the wreckage of his many attempts to plant a flag there, before he got disgusted and quit. ;)

Mount%20Doom_zpst0di7trx.jpg

Edited by SSgt Baloo

41 minutes ago, SSgt Baloo said:

I love these sort of planes. Thumb's up! What are you using for propulsion, there?

Thanks!! :)

I'm using Karbonite's Aft Mounted Propfan (one that uses LFO instead of Karbonite), it was the only rear mounted propeller engine I had at the moment and didn't want to go fishing for mods... Looks weird, too "futuristic", but since it wasn't supposed to be a serious craft, I didn't worry too much about it :D