What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today I did some high speed VTOLing at Tylo, my first time at that place. Check the numbers

paWujdA.jpg

Gotta love Tylos 0.8g and lack of atmosphere.

It´s also my first fully refined Cupcake tribute craft, approved by the man himself  :cool:

Daf

4 hours ago, KerBlam said:

well before I could bolt a heap of staged SRB's together on radial decouplers and it would get me to orbit, now if I try that (or similar, it's been a year) it becomes uncontrollable usually before disintegrating. Tall and skinny got me there.

Particularly, you actually want a low center of drag.  The problem with a wide rocket is that the center of drag will all be up toward the middle.  Making the rocket narrow will shrink that center of drag and mean that you require fewer fins at the rear to bring it down lower.  

I had three pending Low Kerbin Orbit rescue contracts (a way to bulk up my roster and get paid for it.)  I decided rather than do them one by one in spaceplane flights, I decided instead to send one rescue rocket up to get all three of them.  It required a few dips into the upper atmosphere to "catch up" to a few of them, but nothing I could not handle with a little careful thrusting.  Managed to get all three, mistook one continent for another and was on my way to overshooting the Space Center.  So I spend the last of my delta-v trying to make my descent angle sharper, still overshooting but on course for a splashdown with the island airfield still on the horizon, so close enough.  That aggressive landing though was a little hair-raising as it gave me a very narrow window for breaking on final approach.  I was down to a few kilometers off the deck and still moving too fast for my chutes to safely deploy, and no propellant left to make a suicide burn.  They managed to cross the safe deploy threshold for the parachutes with only a few hundred meters left before impact, followed by a very sudden deceleration.  

Those three Kerbals I rescued will need to be treated for severe whiplash before returning to service... 

1 minute ago, Fearless Son said:

Those three Kerbals I rescued will need to be treated for severe whiplash before returning to service... 

Kerbal spines are made of 30% struts. They'll be fine.

I spent a couple hours trying to put a remote-tech communications array in place, and quit in frustration again. No pics, it didn't happen.

I should probably just look at the tutorial.

I gleefully sent 6 kerbals to their doom!

Well... no, they're somewhat stranded in Dres orbit since I didn't quite realize how much dV would be needed to go into orbit.

YgvfSNL.png

The fuel problem "may" be from the 20 ton lander that was attached as payload to my interplanetary liner... It sort of messed up my available dV.

On the other hand, my three stooges have plenty of time to explore the planet whilst they wait patiently for an asteroid miner to be sent over to Dres. (Did I mention I LOVE dresteroids?)

3k8YmCG.png

Edited by Snarfster

Decided to begin to make good on my new years resolution by designing a Tylo lander/ascent craft. Theoretically has plenty of dv and TWR, however, I can't land. As I was about to smash into the ground at 200+ m/s, I hit F9 in a panic thinking it would revert back to orbit. Apparently you need to F5 first. Who knew? ok I did but I forgot So next thing I know, I'm back at the Mun lander headed for the south pole - again (wait, what happened to Tylo... and my lander?). Do you know how many Kerbalnauts have their little green guts splattered around the south pole? :0.0: And now my flag - proof of Jeb's successful flight - no longer exists. Neither does Jeb's crippled ship that was waiting for a rescue. Should have exited out and asked how to fix my mess. Instead, I thought, l'll just use Hyper-Edit to set the lander down and plant the flag. I've already done it legitimately so why not. The why not is that a H-E landing at the pole resulted in the mother of all Krakens. Not only did my ship disappear, the screen went black. All the gauges went straight line. ESC'd back to the space center to find nothing but milky way. The entire solar system seems to have been obliterated by my attempt to cut a corner. Help?  :blush:

Edited by Red Shirt

16 minutes ago, Red Shirt said:

The why not is that a H-E landing at the pole resulted in the mother of all Krakens. Not only did my ship disappear, the screen went black. All the gauges went straight line. ESC'd back to the space center to find nothing but milky way. The entire solar system seems to have been obliterated by my attempt to cut a corner. Help?  :blush:

No one escapes.... the Space Kraken!  

space_kraken_by_xicidal-d513nel.png

1 hour ago, Red Shirt said:

Not only did my ship disappear, the screen went black. All the gauges went straight line. ESC'd back to the space center to find nothing but milky way. The entire solar system seems to have been obliterated by my attempt to cut a corner. Help?  :blush:

Just re-load, that has happened to me several times (~20% chance) when I select and "fly" something on an interplanetary trajectory. Each time my game has returned at the point I left, with no losses.

Didn't get around to posting it, but yesterday I had some adventures. Bob Kerman was piloting a rather unwieldy craft for a focused observation contract (this is on hard mode btw). He managed to get on a suborbital trajectory as well as do the crew report (after flipping the ship more than a few times). Once he was in space he went on EVA to observe the materials bay and reset it. After he had gathered the data, he went back inside and waited (probably less than a minute) for the ship to get below 70km, then he went and did another observation. Since the materials bay was below the recovery pod, Bob had to get outside the ship and remove the data from it in order to get the SCIENCE!!! This was a little tricky, and he hadn't exactly had much training with the jetpack. The air was starting to thicken and he just wasn't quite able to grab the pod door handle in time. Soon the air was too thick and he was pushed far away from his ship, which would lose all the SCIENCE!!! data except the materials study he had just done on EVA. He went through the whole reentry experience and fell towards the ocean. Apparently Kerbals are very un-aerodynamic and Bob was only falling at about 30 m/s when he hit the water, which was enough to survive. Bob now has the best party story out of all the Kerbals in this save.

Pics:

Started on a Delta IV Heavy setup. I still need to make the upper portion (nose cones, fairings, second stage, etc.. the screenshot is using SpaceY stuff for that), but at least the booster cores exist and have engines, though some details are still needed.

KSP%202016-01-05%2021-15-38-27.jpg

Edited by NecroBones

1 hour ago, icedown said:

My rocket was just a little to happy about being launched.

7327d691e0f42f15d1b2280163e04863.gif

I refer you to the Kerbal Engineering mantra: if something moves in flight and shouldn't, it needs space tape. If it doesn't move, and should, it needs MOAR BOOSTARS!

So tonight I was working on some adjustments to my base module design.  I could never get them quite into orbit, let alone to another planet, as effectively as I would like.  I built a new version of them that are less mechanically complicated and have fewer overall parts, which should protect my expensive bases from rogue space kraken attacks.  I might post a picture of the modules later after I get some test ones assembled.  But in the meantime, I have two utility vehicles for base construction:  

The first one is a Cupcake tribute, as many of you will undoubtedly recognize as a variant of the Bulldog.  What can I say, it was an elegant design, and while my previous (original) dropship design was similar, I liked the kind of endurance you can get from those twin poodle engines.  They can thrust continuously at full power for more four minutes, which should make it ideal for transporting base modules down to the surface of non-atmospheric planets and back, and I might even be able to do something like Tylo if I swapped them with aerospikes and added supplemental fuel.  

The second vehicle is a surface rover designed to put the base together.  I call it the Mule.  The main body is built almost entirely out of reaction wheels, which gives this thing great flipping torque.  Obviously they stay disabled when driving it most of the time, but I can turn them on to help right modules that might become twisted around, or to "bounce" the edge of the rover a little to make sure the docking ports line up on an uneven surface.  It also has some deployable landing gear to adjust the height of one side, the other, or both, as need be.  The idea is that two of these will work in tandem to move base modules (which cannot roll themselves.)  Both will attach, then one will raise its gear and be a "trailer", while the other will keep its powered wheels on the ground and be a "tractor", and together they will move the base modules around.  

Having fun with GAP contracts:

Strap-On Airbus test-flight indicates that right-wing tourists doesn't enjoy this silliness.

NtXuHUO.png

I also found out that if I manage to splash down a kopter into water upside down... it becomes a propeller boat. Science!

snffNiG.png

Edited by Evanitis

Yesterday our only pilot, Val, flew two long range survey contracts, crossing the north pole between them, and running out of fuel before making back to KSC, having to land in the desert, where recovery cost us 20% of the cost of her plane. She demanded we hire more pilots, but as personnel explained, the current roster of trainees consists almost entirely of a scientists, with a single engineer being the exception.

A proposed mission to take one VIP into orbit, rescue five stranded kerbals (several of whom are pilots), and simultaneously de-orbit all their craft was deemed too ambitious with current technology. Val's getting tired, and would rather not spend the next week flying a mission to the mun while R&D works on developing RCS and implementing advanced action groups for spacecraft. She says she's willing to go to Minmus, but we haven't located a source of funding for that yet.