Opinions on 0.20

tstehler1

I haven't installed it yet, but my opinion of the patch notes is:

Did we really need more probe cores? Will we ever see any of the more useful KSPX parts like the Atlas engine?

The probe cores are the circular ones from the KSPX pack with a different model so they are quite usefull, alsoi the Atlas has been added, but it's called the Skipper now

well I finally got an existing craft loaded up ok and set off for Mun. On landing and going EVA I notice that kerbals walk differently. They kinda slide over the surface a bit (especially when walking sideways) and you can't make them walk towards you anymore. S makes them walk backwards rather than turn and face you, so unless you make a point of it, you don't really ever see their darling little faces, and you can never see their faces while actually walking (kills some of the cinematic potential). Also I get really bad lag when walking, fps goes back up when I stop or jet pack off the ground.

I played for a few hours and I think it's a great update. I especially like the new jumbo docking port -- that really opens up many possibilities in my space station designs! The Knowledge Base info in-game is a fantastic addition to an already great game! I haven't had a chance to get a rover with a seat yet, but that will come in due time.

Not happy with the initial tests... you can delete your 'node' (your first part), which pretty much stops you dead in your tracks, you can't add a new one, and you can't doing anything with the rest of the ship.

You can add a new first part, just click one in the pod menu. What you cant do is use an existing part of your ship as your new root node, it has to come from the menu. I used it when rebuilding my station, from un-maned for tests to maned for use, without issues aside from rearranging some parts.

Aside from the laser system mod not functioning yet and my rockets crashing into floating launch stability enhancers its not to bad. Graphics are good and the flag system is interesting. I will place a white flag on Mun in honor of all the dead kerbins who gave their lives as soon as this bug is fixed?

Absolutely fantastic! Smooth as butter. Love the changes to the VAB editor. The new visuals are stunning! The in-flight info buttons are a nice touch. Excellent job, Squad! I can see a lot of hours spent planet hopping this weekend. :cool:

My own take from the first 2 hours of playing it...

* The start-up loading screen is hilarious now with those SimCity 2000-esque messages

* Load times do indeed seem to be better, for the most part, but some things definitely seem to chug now that didn't before

* Clamp-o-Tron Sr.! ^_^

* Love the humor inherent in all of the IVA scenes for the new cockpits; can't seem to activate the crew cabin IVA, however...

* The Kerbal seats are brilliant, though I can tell I'm going to have to rethink some safety precautions before my "4 Kerbals on an RCS Tank" escape system will work properly

* The new huge probe bodies, oddly, are something I have already found a lot of use for; surprised the heck out of me too!

* Flags are fun to plant and use as landmarks, especially once you figure out that you have to put them in the Squad\Flags directory; should probably have a folder outside that for flags at some point to avoid confusion, though...

Overall, I give it 10/10. Awesome fun!

For reference, I have 2GB of single-channel RAM. That means I only have one 2GB stick in my PC. Before 0.20, the game took ages to load, especially since I had to have Steam open as well. 0.20 fixed that and now the game runs about 5 times better than it did before. I told you guys optimizations would have fixed problems on older systems! :P

All the new parts are sexy and wonderful and OMG STOCK INLINE PROBES FINALLY. My only problem is I have no idea how to stick a manned Kerbal seat onto an SRB. Actually I have no idea how to use the seats at all, I thought they could just be added to the rocket like a normal command pod but apparently not. Also, the Hitchhiker module doesn't have an internal space. But other than that, fantastic stuff! This is already feeling like a finished product. If you just added Career mode and announced the game as finished right then and there, I would be all like "Cool!" and play the game forever and ever.

TENOUTTATEN.

* The new huge probe bodies, oddly, are something I have already found a lot of use for; surprised the heck out of me too!

I was about to ask - how are they useful? At first glance they seem to be just electricity hogging versions of the older ones.

So all of y'all are running fine but me.

I cant make orbits due to random launch stabilizers just appearing out of no where and my laser system not working.

Can anyone tell my why this is happening?

Try the game without mods ... mods are always a game of chance with major updates ... some of them might work fine (as the Kerbal Engineer redux) others might do not so well (forcing you to wait till the mod has updated for the new version, before you can use it again)

I was about to ask - how are they useful? At first glance they seem to be just electricity hogging versions of the older ones.

they're stylish :)

I'm disappointed they don't have a higher rotPower compared to the small ones - they have the same 0.5 value.

oh well, time for .cfg editing :)

Sounds like a lot of mods are currently broken, so you might just want to play stock for a few days until people can update their mods.

I only got in an hour of play but I'm loving it. It runs much smoother and looks much better. The added humor is great, the ability to double click things on the map view and get information the right side is awesome (and funny).

I have one complaint, and it is minor, but how do I make it so I can see debris in map mode (I know I can see it in tracking station mode)? Also, for those that haven't figured it out, right clicking the icons in the tracking station menu turns on the button and leaves it on... this seems counter-intuitive to me.

-Lego

Try the game without mods ... mods are always a game of chance with major updates ... some of them might work fine (as the Kerbal Engineer redux) others might do not so well (forcing you to wait till the mod has updated for the new version, before you can use it again)

So my options are delete the majority of my ships including my new space station that I have spent hours building or wait for all my mods to get updated?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.