[0.22] Ion Hybrid Electric Pack 30.08.13 --- Soon FKSP!!! See Development Monitor

EPD

What do you want us to do next? Propositions for next release or Part Packs  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want us to do next? Propositions for next release or Part Packs

• More parts in Ion Hybrid Elec Pack. (solar panels,more engines,new technologies)
    • Standard parts (fuselage,tanks,luq enignes,chassis) in future design as Ion and Hybrid engines
    • Base/station parts, PODs, and other "structural" parts.

Yay, it does work. I modified the xenon tanks to have a more realistic mass and volume (6 tons full, 2.5 tons dry). I'm now working on a small (well, 200 tons is small compared to my 1.5k ton NTR ships) nuclear reactor powered ion ship with a delta V of 30 km/s. It has 28 of the corrected xenon tanks, so it's carrying 98 tons of xenon fuel. It will be a great intermediate ship design for rotating crews and small pieces of equipment back and forth from distant solar system locations :) The only problem is the 8 cm/s^2 acceleration, so I'm gonna have to use time compression + a lot of afk. Hmm... maybe I should add another nuclear reactor and more ion engines?...

Well folks, I found out why I couldn't download the update from Spaceport... it's because I can't download ANYTHING from Spaceport! Oh, and I tried registering, yeah, it just locks up Internet Explorer when I hit the 'Submit' button. I have to totally quit IE and restart it to clear the problem. I don't know what's going on right now, but at least I know it's not this particular mod that's causing the problem.

Feel free to change configs for yourself purpose :)

I was just doing that, or rather, was looking in the config to get the name of the part so I could add the modifications to my ModuleManager config file, when I noticed to my horror that the "name" parameter (not "title", the human-readable string) has spaces in it. Alas, this breaks compatibility with ModuleManager and apparently other mods. The internal object names aren't meant to be human-readable, and should really follow Unity object naming conventions. Alas, fixing that would break existing flights and craft files, so, gah... well, just letting you know.

Edited by Gaius

I was just doing that, or rather, was looking in the config to get the name of the part so I could add the modifications to my ModuleManager config file, when I noticed to my horror that the "name" parameter (not "title", the human-readable string) has spaces in it. Alas, this breaks compatibility with ModuleManager and apparently other mods. The internal object names aren't meant to be human-readable, and should really follow Unity object naming conventions. Alas, fixing that would break existing flights and craft files, so, gah... well, just letting you know.

Yeah, I just discovered this, I fixed mine (by replacing spaces with underscores) so they'd work with modular fuels.

That's the plan. I started on my own design already, and my partner in crime is working on his own designs for me to implement.

Edit: Hope you guys like solar panels with protective casings.

Edited by Yorik

I started on my own design already, and my partner in crime is working on his own designs for me to implement.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot :D Should I know about something Yorik? :D

But yeah, right now Im working on VTOL hybrid engines, and something else. Also I'm developing other pack of structural parts for space stations, and planetary bases.

And something I was dreaming of for a long time... But you must wait for it... ^^

0zd7.jpg

Have you thought about hexagonal panels?

Yes we have..

Yeah, I just discovered this, I fixed mine (by replacing spaces with underscores) so they'd work with modular fuels.

I will look closer to ModuleManager, i must admit I never used it. If it will make it more compatibile, then yes, names will be changed in next release

Edited by EPD

I've been playing around with the hybrid engines, and I believe that this:

PROPELLANT
{
name = LiquidFuel
ratio = 0.9
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = Oxidizer
ratio = 1.1
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = ElectricCharge
ratio = 10.0
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = XenonGas
ratio = 0.2
}

should be changed to this:

PROPELLANT
{
name = LiquidFuel
ratio = 0.9
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = Oxidizer
ratio = 1.1
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = ElectricCharge
ratio = 10.0
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = XenonGas
ratio = 0.5
}

Because as it is currently, the hybrid engines use almost no xenon - two small radial tanks are enough for pretty much any trip.

The whole point of ion engines is that they use a dense fuel extremely efficiently. You use them in circumstances where you want to go a long way on a very small fuel tank. Considering the currently balanced versions of the hybrids have an ISP barely better than a nuclear rocket, they're probably consuming too much Xenon...

• 2 weeks later...
Any updates on the solar panels?

In day or two I will report how are things, add some pics, video of some animations and etc. Don't worry, we are working ^^

I tried now 10 times to DL it

(with sign in, without, with Modmanager, without...)

It cancels ever around 13 - 14.5 gb

Try to use different web browser. I tried Opera, Firefox and IE, all worked.

It has been a while since I've said anything about next release, our progress or anything. Fact is that we both (Yorik and I) are kind of busy men :D Yorik was again gone for some time, and I have other stuff to do, but now I've managed to get some free time for new parts.

As Poll is going on, we see that you want also structural parts in Ion Hybrid "style", and that kind of parts you will get :)

To gather all up, engines, electric parts, structural and utility there will be major change in next release.

The mod will change its name to Future Kerbal Space Program so you may call it FKSP, or Future KSP :)

And from now this name is reserved till next release! ^^'

Snjo was so kindly and give us permission to use Firespitter.dll plugin, with it we can create awesome stuff:

Here have a look at new Hybrid VTOL engine, which is almost finished.

Also you can see there flashing "beacons" which i want to release however there is one particular problem with them.

If you wish to help - head to http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/50690-Looking-for-plugin-or-someone-who-can-make-a-plugin-(controling-loop-animations)

In next release hybrid engine mechanics will change - probably they will not use xenon any more.

From now there are simpler parts to continue work on, solar panels, structural parts etc.

EDIT: Ah, and new release under new name, and parts organization will not break your saves and crafts!

Edited by EPD

It has been a while since I've said anything about next release, our progress or anything. Fact is that we both (Yorik and I) are kind of busy men :D Yorik was again gone for some time, and I have other stuff to do, but now I've managed to get some free time for new parts.

As Poll is going on, we see that you want also structural parts in Ion Hybrid "style", and that kind of parts you will get :)

To gather all up, engines, electric parts, structural and utility there will be major change in next release.

The mod will change its name to Future Kerbal Space Program so you may call it FKSP, or Future KSP :)

And from now this name is reserved till next release! ^^'

Snjo was so kindly and give us permission to use Firespitter.dll plugin, with it we can create awesome stuff:

Here have a look at new Hybrid VTOL engine, which is almost finished.

Also you can see there flashing "beacons" which i want to release however there is one particular problem with them.

If you wish to help - head to http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/50690-Looking-for-plugin-or-someone-who-can-make-a-plugin-(controling-loop-animations)

In next release hybrid engine mechanics will change - probably they will not use xenon any more.

From now there are simpler parts to continue work on, solar panels, structural parts etc.

EDIT: Ah, and new release under new name, and parts organization will not break your saves and crafts!

Wow, I really like the VTOL engines with built in landing legs! I see you were inspired by 'Prometheus'. :) Which is cool, because the only thing I liked about that movie was the ship itself, lol. The only change I'd suggest is to have the legs extend just a little farther, so that the engine is slightly higher off the ground when landed, but that's just an aesthetics thing on my part. :)

I will DEFINITELY use these when released, whether or not my above suggestion is followed. I use your existing engines whenever I can in my current designs already, so the VTOLs will fit right in. :) Plus, obviously, I'm looking forward to any other parts you're working on as well. ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.