SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

The arkbird is progressing nicely, although it is proving to be quite a challenge. (It is a quasi ssto, but I'm not sure about the final layout just yet.). (Also, the jets are being quite under powered.).

sApCKOq.jpg

An earlier iteration:

R2cqras.jpg

Finally~ I have created an SSTO aircraft capable of carrying a probe in it’s belly, then leaving it in orbit, and then flying the aircraft back to the runway!!

As you can see in the last screenshot the probe was 5.55 tons.

This aircraft took so long to build (゜-゜)

Any chance you want to share the .craft for that masterpiece?! Amazing craft!

I wasn't going to share it because it wasn't perfect xD

It has two ram air intakes on either side which gave me a bit of troubles on the way up, I need to remove them and make some other tweaks.. I might post it in this thread in the next few days when I get a chance to do the tweaks.

The arkbird is progressing nicely, although it is proving to be quite a challenge. (It is a quasi ssto, but I'm not sure about the final layout just yet.). (Also, the jets are being quite under powered.).

sApCKOq.jpg

An earlier iteration:

R2cqras.jpg

For an SSTO, Solid Fuel Boosters that you discard are a big No No.. I know you said quasi ssto.. but still.. try doing it with no Solid Booster Rockets.

You are going to need to get your aircraft very high using air, so you will need lots of air intakes to catch that air..

For an aircraft of that size you are going to need at least 6 to 8 Jet Engines... lots of air intakes to keep running those engines at high altitude.

Basically what you need to do is build a craft that can fly at around thirty thousand on air that can go to speeds of around 1500m/s to 2000m/s on air.. once your going that speed at 30 thousand, close air intakes to lessen drag, turn off Jet Engines and use Rocket Engines to punch yourself out of atmosphere.

I don't know if it's frowned upon to show planes that are already on this forum at another location, so if it is, I'll erase the post, but I've put two nice planes together. I'll just put up two pictures and >> a link to the thread << where you can download them if you like.

These are both SSTO. Even though the first one has drop tanks, you can chose not to drop the tanks and it will still get to orbit.

The tanks were made optional because:

They look really cool when let go and and come off and fall behind the plane.

It offers those that would like a little more orbit altitude or more usable fuel on board the plane.

The second plane is SSTO also, but looks just really cool.

CB2F7BD9B42D38BF65A5420DABEE869BF6DCCAA1

329B9DD1D2FFCC20227A6EDB93A2302EEDFE2665

I'm just trying to test out its flight characteristics first (It's not supposed to be its final configuration, but I at least need some flight data) ... and the plane has 8 turbojet engines, since the other four are under the wing (these aren't enough to actually fly the plane in the atmosphere without the rocket engines). The COL-COM balance is proving to be quite a challenge right now, and any improvements and/or suggestions are welcome. I'm not sure why I'm trying to make an ssto of this size... especially since I've never actually made a ssto before. :):0.0:

Should I post the craft file?

Edited by andrew123

I don't know if it's frowned upon to show planes that are already on this forum at another location, so if it is, I'll erase the post

This thread is meant to be a collection of SSTO aircraft for people to share SSTO aircraft... It doesn't matter if it was posted elsewhere.

I'm just trying to test out its flight characteristics first (It's not supposed to be its final configuration, but I at least need some flight data) ... and the plane has 8 turbojet engines, since the other four are under the wing (these aren't enough to actually fly the plane in the atmosphere without the rocket engines). The COL-COM balance is proving to be quite a challenge right now, and any improvements and/or suggestions are welcome. I'm not sure why I'm trying to make an ssto of this size... especially since I've never actually made a ssto before. :):0.0:

Should I post the craft file?

It needs moer powah captain.

Try making a small or medium sized one first... Just so you get your head around what you need to do to get into orbit.

Edited by KissSh0t

Project Genesis’s first successful SSTO (Single Stage To Orbit). The Ruach (Hebrew word for Spirit) was piloted by Jedediah Kerman during its first flight and made it to a stable orbit of 70,000 meters. After completing one full orbit, Jedediah returned to Kerbin and made a safe landing in the open plains. This historic flight proved that Project Genesis was truly becoming a company worth of recognition as a space fairing corporation.

532408_10200470255294248_1048825537_n.jpg

Gliding in to land

1012874_10200470264254472_1403811249_n.jpg

A good ending to a successful first flight

547372_10200470270374625_1624624193_n.jpg

Download here:http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/project-genesis-ruach-ssto-a-all-stock-4/

* rate and comment if you enjoyed this and also let me know if you have any request that you want me to try to make.

*read instructions on how to fly. Instructions give detailed directions on how to fly it

The Ruach was my first SSTO, not just my fictional Space Company. This is a huge milestone for me

sApCKOq.jpg

An earlier iteration:

R2cqras.jpg

I guess you could say "puts sunglasses on" the Journey Begins. YAAAAA!!!!!!!

Ace Combat fans will get this reference

A couple of not-too-big crafts, but I'm sure they have some function.

PCS2-2 Damselfly

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The Damselfly is a compact craft that carries 3 kerbals into Low Kerbin Orbit. Use the jets to pick up as much speed as you can as the 909s are somewhat tight on delta V. Several practice launches is advisable. Nowhere near as stable or maneuverable as the Mayfly and attempts to do acrobatic loops voids warranty.

Download

PCS2-2r2 Damselfly Mk2

Javascript is disabled. View full album

50% less jet fuel, 25% more rocket fuel, ???% more fuel left once you reach orbit. The Mk2 is an improvement for those who do not want to spend a whole day carefully flying a craft through the upper atmosphere just to gain speed. Weighs just a teensy bit more and still carries 3 kerbals. Docking port not pictured but is provided in the production crafts.

Download

Hey Bothersome! I missed replying in your thread in rocket builders, but that KT-130 is sick. Definitely not your usual SSTO, good job!

Thank you very much. I worked on it a couple of days just tweeking it here and there till I got it satisfactory to my liking. I have noticed a slight buggyboo in the game with it sometimes though. Sometime when I take it out for a flight, I notice SAS flies it straight and sometimes not. Sometimes it will fly straight without SAS on and sometimes not. Yet this is without changing anything to the craft. Anyone else noticed anything like that with large planes? One time I could fly it straight as an arrow without using SAS (just trim only) and when I turned SAS on, it would slowly start banking to the right. Every time for that flight only. Restart flight, without changing anything, SAS would fly straight. F3 screen showed no damage like broken strut or anything.

I noticed since this new update.... flying aircraft is kinda weird... it's like it slips around all the time and never locks in the position you lock it in..

Idk y u think that. To me it seams flying is so much smoother

Idk y u think that. To me it seams flying is so much smoother

Flying at low altitude craft with high TWR that is so.

However for high pitch maneuvers with lower TWR you start feeling that it takes a while to lock into position. From 0.21.1 it does really lock into position after a bit but you need to give it about 5-10* extra vs where you want it to stop (aka if you want to pitch up 20* climb it initially to 30*)

Flying at low altitude craft with high TWR that is so.

However for high pitch maneuvers with lower TWR you start feeling that it takes a while to lock into position. From 0.21.1 it does really lock into position after a bit but you need to give it about 5-10* extra vs where you want it to stop (aka if you want to pitch up 20* climb it initially to 30*)

I've noticed a greater tendency to roll when pitching, and it happens on all vehicles traveling laterally through atmo. Drives me crazy sometimes.

Well I finally Did it...

ScreenShot2013-08-01at81934PM_zps08506059.png

So, it makes it in to space with something like 999dv. More than enough to putter around and find a fuel station and keep on trucking or simply come back down where ever the hell it pleases. WITH NO fuel balancing, it's idjet resistant.

But then beer and rum happened and I made this...

ScreenShot2013-08-01at72918PM_zps83b7bc26.png

I called it "Buck Rodgers Special", it seemed to fit, although doesn't really look anything like anything from Buck Rodgers.

It's the best easiest to fly and build, it's cheap, has crazy low parts. Lands on mun fine and, well, I have a 6000DV model getting final tweaks as of right now... Yep, 6000 bloody DV from standing on the Kerbin to being in space, and it's an SSTO still. Also it has enough SAS additions that a burnout at it's cruising alt of 32 km ish doesn't flip it in to a death spiral, it simply makes it pull hard and you sweat a bit, but it's totally recoverable. If you totally botched the flight and are diving to much to pull the nose up, simple trick is to put two engines to the ground and one to the sky, then; turn off the engine to the sky for a second while the nose pulls up and re ignite the engine. It seems sketchy but the nose is so heavy nothing happens fast enough for you to mess it up.

To any adventurers that want to know, 14-16 intakes per engine and space is a mechjeb click away. Also, as someone posted before 1.5 TWR is enough and nearly to much for a plane SSTO, but as for vertical takeoff, hover around 2.5 thrust. I was successful in getting 2.25 thrust in to space but it ate to much in to the rocket fuel. 2.5 thrust on the pad should just eat your jet fuel and you should be on to rockets by then or you messed up somewhere.

My take on SSTO's as being a good one is, I should be buzzed, alt-tabbed and watching TV and still have a successful flight. This was a good one.

The 6000DV one is a bit ornery atm and I dont' want to show it, so far I managed only 5800DV and it was a wild ride.

http://www./view/jv20bukakq5wjdg/Buck_Rodgers_Special.craft

Hope the Craft file worked, YOU NEED MECHJEB, simply because I'm just that lazy to not take it off, other than that it should be stock .21.

OOOOK, so I may have botched the craft file and you might have something that doesn't work, just delete the extra engines and fuel tanks that may be on it to match the BRS, in the photo and you'll be good to go. You may have the stepping stone to the 6000dv model which didn't work. Sry.

Edited by Azuratte

I am very happy to finally share the Type 24 Raven R2, The previous version posted earlier tumbled on re-entry... although as you can see here, this revision handles re-entry perfectly... BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.... my poor choice in landing area resulted in ripping off the rear of the craft xD

Craft File » http://www./download/bo2wmn7ccoaaqdx/SSTO_Type_24_Raven_R2.craft

Action Group 1 - Toggle Air Intakes / Jet Engines.

Action Group 2 - Toggle Rocket Engines.

Action Group 3 - Toggle Nuclear Engine.

Action Group 4 - Eject Lower Bay Cover, allowing you to decouple the probe in the belly.

This aircraft will fly on jet engines up to thirty thousand.

Bill Survived!!! Most of my Kerbals Die =___=

animated_ejection_by_kisssh0t-d6ftucs.gif

tumblr_mqwbotQGqH1r2k180o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mqwbotQGqH1r2k180o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mqwbotQGqH1r2k180o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mqwbotQGqH1r2k180o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mqwbotQGqH1r2k180o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_mqwbotQGqH1r2k180o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_mqwbotQGqH1r2k180o7_1280.jpg

tumblr_mqwbotQGqH1r2k180o8_1280.jpg

tumblr_mqwbotQGqH1r2k180o9_1280.jpg

tumblr_mqwbotQGqH1r2k180o10_1280.jpg

I am very happy to finally share the Type 24 Raven R2, The previous version posted earlier tumbled on re-entry... although as you can see here, this revision handles re-entry perfectly... BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.... my poor choice in landing area resulted in ripping off the rear of the craft xD

Nice plane KissSh0t, I see you've outdone yourself.