SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The Longtail

6 Kerbals to 100x100 orbit, plenty of gas left if you decide on a lower parking orbit. No intake spamming, just high TWR with the jets (1.3) to bruteforce its way as high and fast as possible in the atmosphere, relying only on the NERVAs' efficiency to do the rest. Some piloting skills required, as this thing's operational ceiling while on jets is somewhat on the low side (25k if you still want to be able to pitch up before the rocket switch), but the good thing is that you only need 1500m/s before the switch. After activating rockets, immediately pull up to a 45 degree angle and just stay there until you reach your desired apoapsis. 100x100 is the most I'd recommend but if you put more intakes on it it should be able to go higher.

Oh btw, if you put it to a spin, don't open the chutes and expect it to save your kerbals. Those are for landing assists, not emergency. It WILL break the ship if it's spinning.

OK... so I might be going overboard on the small SSTO thing. They are just so dumb, useless, and fun. I am cracking up half the time I am flying these things.

Things started pretty normally with this guy:

o5YEhnq.jpg

It's a single Jet, single Poodle, "magic clippy-job". Orbit with no problems.

vKCAYyJ.png

Then , hey, lets switch that adapter around and go for a.. well, whatever this is:

dDvQrns.png

I think it is Mickey Mouse's Ride.

ATsDvp5.png

But you know what? That heavy cockpit part is really holding us back, man. Let's ditch it:

O8nvrCq.png

Go directly to... Ludicrous Speed!

fbErZ93.png

Have to pop those solar panels to keep that computer charged. The ship is pretty surprised by the whole thing.

wBjuFGQ.png

The thing is everyone likes a manned space program. It's just that I didn't feel like I really embraced the magic (cheating) of parts clipping. So lets go with this:

rVF79R9.png

Yes, really. Thats the whole thing:

iImYAVy.png

Yes, it is a fully functional SSTO. No, you should not fly it without the awesome new ASAS. Ever.

suNpG0T.png

I will be releasing all of these as an overly-tiny SSTO (OTSSTO?) Pack after I have tinkered with them a little more.

Has this been done yet? I feel like I might have had an original thought.

I'm confused, what is special about it? Unless theres something i dont see its a radio controlled air plane with a docking port at the front.

Using the pod like that in a plane. Or a two person plane set up like this in general.
I been experimenting with some pretty weird stuff at some point.

screenshot154.png

screenshot162.png

...pretty weird stuff, yeah.

screenshot169.png

(I share the pilots' thoughts on this wholeheartedly)

Edited by Sean Mirrsen

Hey Exo, you want to join Shuttlecraft Systems Inc? We'd love to have some of your creations in our general catalog.

Sure, why not! Your design goals are pretty interesting. I already have a design in mind that should meet all the criteria. Now I just need a few hours to play KSP to actually assemble it. :)

@ pa1983: That plane is full of surprises! I just watched the video without reading your build post. "Oh hay! Vertical rockets! Man, that front end is wobbly on landing, I wonder why...oh wow."

Edited by Exothermos

Sure, why not! Your design goals are pretty interesting. I already have a design in mind that should meet all the criteria. Now I just need a few hours to play KSP to actually assemble it. :)

@ pa1983: That plane is full of surprises! I just watched the video without reading your build post. "Oh hay! Vertical rockets! Man, that front end is wobbly on landing, I wonder why...oh wow.

Awesome man. I and others are looking forward to seeing what you post.

Couple of small(ish) SSTO/VTOL craft i have made recently

[table=width: 1000]

[tr]

[td]0LtVjPO.jpg?1[/td]

[td]ZUGAGQw.jpg?1[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Grendel[/td]

[td]The Midge[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Click on the picture for more information[/td]

[td]Click on the picture for more information[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

okay, I am struggling to build a line of cargo shuttles. (I may base one off of yours Kisssh0t). I would like at least one that can deliver a probe to orbit, one that can go interplanetary, and one that can carry one of my normal fuel tankers (weighs ~40 tons, ambitious). These don't need to be SSTO (I will slap huge a** boosters on them and launch vertically) but that would be nice on some of them. Can I get some pointers? I do use B9 and I have successfully created a crew shuttle using the pack and it is SSTO (yay me, that was hard, many kerbals died to bring it to you).

Feel free to share images of your creations~

If you mean my Type 24 Raven R2... that idea originated from Exothermos's AJAX SSTO.. found here >> http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/37352-Exo-s-Rubberband-and-Duct-Tape-Emporium-SSTOS-Weird-Space-Ships-and-more!

Tips.. mmm.. Lets see..

Have the fuel as close to the center of mass as possible, so as it drains the weight doesn't shift backwards or forwards.

If you have fuel tanks coming out sideways from the craft, make sure each side is draining evenly, you don't want it draining one side first, then the other last.. I've had this problem a few times until I started to understand how fuel lines worked xD

Make sure all parts of the wing are connected with struts, it helps make a sturdy wing~ You can connect wing parts internally with struts, this way you don't see the struts.. If you look inside the wings of the Type 24 Raven.. You will see internal wing struts.. Very good for craft that have large wing surfaces.

Have the fuel as close to the center of mass as possible, so as it drains the weight doesn't shift backwards or forwards.

I have found a solution to this issue, check out my tutorial in the tutorial section.