[0.22] Extraplanetary Launchpads Legacy Thread

skykooler

Ah, good. Well, the fix will be in my next update to EL.

Howdy kind sir!

Could you possible confirm whether this is the latest version to download? There seems to be a fractioning of the threads or something for this project, and i'm having a hard time figuring out what is most recent.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/35217-0-21-1-Extraplanetary-Launchpads-v3-New-Launchpad-Ore-Scanners/page107?p=595226&viewfull=1#post595226

It seems to be version 3.1. But as some others, I have a strange bug that the 2 non hexagonal ore bins textures don't load up proper. In any case, i just want to make sure I'm using the most recent version for my new campaign game i'm starting!

Thanks!

Do the recycling bin parts require a transform to operate? I want to make a boom one for shuttles...the bins are only really usable for rovers...and dont have much to recycle planetside. Gonna make one thats kinda like refueling boom on modern aircraft.

Could you possible confirm whether this is the latest version to download? There seems to be a fractioning of the threads or something for this project, and i'm having a hard time figuring out what is most recent.

It seems to be version 3.1. But as some others, I have a strange bug that the 2 non hexagonal ore bins textures don't load up proper. In any case, i just want to make sure I'm using the most recent version for my new campaign game i'm starting!

This one the latest. Changes from 3.1 to 3.2 can be found here

The non-hex ore bins are buggy. I haven't touched them as they're skykooler's and I don't have the "source" for them.

Do the recycling bin parts require a transform to operate? I want to make a boom one for shuttles...the bins are only really usable for rovers...and dont have much to recycle planetside. Gonna make one thats kinda like refueling boom on modern aircraft.

They use a trigger collider. The blend files are available in the github repository (or skykoolers). Just in case, my blender exporter.

I've just finished an EL Mun base with the new KAS and I must say, the workshop and smelter have horrible, awful nodes and meshes. I know you inherited them when you took this on but trying to build them into base units is nasty. Surface mounts sink in, they're awkward lengths and have weird node placement.

I ended up throwing the workshop behind something big so it wouldn't spoil the view and putting a pipe into it. Smelters were a bit too big to hide, I slapped connectors on them and towed them into the 'slum' corner of the base ;)

Im actually working on a supplemental pack for this and kethane. 1.25 and 2.5 inline tanks for parts/metal/ore...large 4x4x8 dropboxes for massive resource storage, a new combo workshop (gonna be 3.75m), and the recycler....if i can get it workin lol

I was working on a multi scan satellite...but the solar panels kinda pissed me off so I stoped work on it lmao.

Im actually working on a supplemental pack for this and kethane. 1.25 and 2.5 inline tanks for parts/metal/ore...large 4x4x8 dropboxes for massive resource storage, a new combo workshop (gonna be 3.75m), and the recycler....if i can get it workin lol

I was working on a multi scan satellite...but the solar panels kinda pissed me off so I stoped work on it lmao.

Hell, just having a multi-scan part would help alot, or a more reasonable ore scanner?

The idea was it would be a base part that looks like sat dish (and would house solar panels) and to that base little 'data drives' would attach...the data drives being the actual scanner. That way it could be set to scan for multiple resources, or many scanners for single resource...all in a modular package.

This one the latest. Changes from 3.1 to 3.2 can be found here

The non-hex ore bins are buggy. I haven't touched them as they're skykooler's and I don't have the "source" for them.

They use a trigger collider. The blend files are available in the github repository (or skykoolers). Just in case, my blender exporter.

Woo! Awesome thanks! My OCD has been on fire for 2 days straight this mod is awesome!

This mod really needs an artist

Love this mod and KSP. So many ideas. One day it is going to drive me into installing Blender and Unity3D or whatever it is I need to start learning how to make mods and parts.

The idea was it would be a base part that looks like sat dish (and would house solar panels) and to that base little 'data drives' would attach...the data drives being the actual scanner. That way it could be set to scan for multiple resources, or many scanners for single resource...all in a modular package.

I'd say leave out the solar panels, but the data drive (I see it as a Weapons Replaceable Assembly and yes, that's a military term. Even included a link for the definition.) sounds like an awesome idea.

This mod really needs an artist

Would love to make parts for this mod...but honestly I dont have the skill to make parts that are as cool as this mod is...esp in the texturing department. Hahaha there is a reason I have been making part for a few months and have released nothing =P

They should get a skilled texturer/model maker (no offence to the devs of the mod, but some of the textures and models are a bit.....odd) to create a detailed, stock alike reskin for the parts of this mod. Also, maybe take hexcans out and make some of your own tanks (if people want hexcans, they can get the hexcans mod).

They should get a skilled texturer/model maker (no offence to the devs of the mod, but some of the textures and models are a bit.....odd) to create a detailed, stock alike reskin for the parts of this mod. Also, maybe take hexcans out and make some of your own tanks (if people want hexcans, they can get the hexcans mod).

I tried to make tanks, but they kind of failed. I may revisit them later this fall.

In most respects I am actually glad this mod does not have detailed textures.

I am constantly being forced to uninstall good mods because I am pushing on the KSP memory/stability limit. My BobCat folder contains about 200 Mb, Laztek about 150 Mb, EL takes up only about 12 Mb. For the big mods I have already picked out all the parts I have no interest in using. Even when you consider that it pretty much requires the 100 Mb of Kethane to play you have to conclude that EL+Kethane provides excellent play activity for RAM value. To some mod designers I want to say, if you can't make efficient use and re-use of textures and bumpmaps then please don't do it at all. By the way, I use the spherical tanks (by Tal?), extreme lack of texturing, massive re-use of precious graphical memory rescources, lots of different sizes for all game rescources. Easy to edit part.cfg's. Wonderful! Squad (Parts folder ~400 Mb) could take note and very likely do a bit better.

Good texturing does not require large size textures......its much more about the process and ones skill for it than the size texture pallet your using.

And tanks are easy to make, I have already made a few for EPLP resources...but basic cylidrical tanks just dont fit the mod imo. I have the large drop boxes(though i need to fix the colliders) but not sure on quantitys...and not something you can hook to a rocket...other than that i use a set of 1.25m tanks, that i hate lol

Edited by KhaosCorp

where is the best tutorial for using this mod? I have skimmed through the posts, but have not found one. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

It's fairly straight-forward, if you've used Kethane before then this isn't much different except that the manufacturing line is a bit longer.

To bullet-point things:

• Use either of the sensors (big one in high orbit or geomagnetic chipboard for low orbit) to locate Ore deposits
  • Make something with an auger and an Ore container, able to reach a nearby deposit
  • Use auger to mine Ore
  • Deliver Ore to something containing a Smelter and Metal containers
  • Use rocket workshop to convert Metal from Smelter into Rocket Parts
  • Use either Launchpad or Runway (stationary on the ground only) to create pre-designed craft wherever you want them. (Personally, I recommend Mun first, due to its zero atmosphere and low gravity)

Actually Minmus is a better first spot for industrial missions. Takes so little Dv to hop of Minmus and make stable orbit, I usually dont start mining the Mun till Minmus is almost dry, due to the added effecince.

Looking forward to EPLP update...you gonna do techtree compatability with this update?

Very basic compat for now (just one very high level node), but I have plans to give it better integration, especially with sample returns. The release will take a little longer as I'm feeling a little under the weather.