[1.0.3] Editor Extensions v2.12 - 23 June

MachXXV

So, things I still miss even with the new awesome gizmos:

-An easy toggle between clip/noclip. It helps to hide the extra nodes sometimes, sometimes you want to use them.

-Surface attach toggle. I can't believe how dependant I was on that!

-Angle lock. Being able to force 90º attachment made me able to place parts in places that are otherwise impossible. Great to get correctly aligned builds.

-Vertical lock. Crucial to measure, it makes balancing stuff much easier, when you can attach thing to the exact middle of a part.

-Extra symmetry. Probably the most often mentioned one. It's not so crucial, though.

Rune. Yeah, this mod could be very much relevant still.

Im really REALLY supprised that the functionality of this mod is not STOCK game functionality by now......

Anyone with 1/2 a brain can see at first glance EdExt is a far superior set of building tools than what comes with the game.....

There is really no reason why Squad shouldnt make this stock.

MachXXV, please don't let this mod die. I don't want to live in a world without vertical snap ;.;

No joke - let me just echo what the others are saying - PLELEEEEEELELELELEEEAASE don't let this die. The stock editor, even with the gizmos and whatnot, really feels crippled without Editor Extensions.

So, things I still miss even with the new awesome gizmos:

-An easy toggle between clip/noclip. It helps to hide the extra nodes sometimes, sometimes you want to use them.

-Surface attach toggle. I can't believe how dependant I was on that!

-Angle lock. Being able to force 90º attachment made me able to place parts in places that are otherwise impossible. Great to get correctly aligned builds.

-Vertical lock. Crucial to measure, it makes balancing stuff much easier, when you can attach thing to the exact middle of a part.

-Extra symmetry. Probably the most often mentioned one. It's not so crucial, though.

Yup, those are still pretty handy and needed. I use the surface attach toggle so often, it's nice to have a quick hotkey for noclipping and the various angles for angle snap is so useful for building planes. The vertical lock function would be so nice to have back, it's a shame Squad removed that ability.

I can tell you from my own private hacking: though the flag is still there, vertical snap as such is now gone from the game, though playing with the offset tool looks promising so far.

I can confirm that setting VAB_ANGLE_SNAP_INCLUDE_VERTICAL = True in settings.cfg has no effect. Still workes in .25 though. SQUAD, why did you remove this...all you had to do is keep this feature in!

Presumably because the part attachment code in the editor now works in a considerably different way though, I agree, it was a very useful feature and it would be nice to see it (or an even better snapping system) return as soon as possible...

Vertical snap can be done with the offset gizmo by leaving angle snap on and making sure to use the absolute reference frame (toggled with the F key).

Yeah, I think eventually I could get used to doing this instead of using the vertical snap like I used to.

What I have been noticing myself missing BY FAR more than anything is the ability to set the angle snap to various different angles. I haven't used the stock angle snap in well over a year. I constantly used different angles for the snap.

Also, does Alt-X not reset symmetry to single in stock KSP?

I like what Squad did, and I am sure once I get used to it, I will love it, but right now I would rather be using the .25 VAB with this mod than the .90 VAB

For me this one is the most important, it was the primary reason I used E.E. in the first place. In 0.90 you can now vertical snap in increments, but you can't have a consistent starting point, which... is bad. You can snap onto a random position then move in consistent increments up or down, but the starting position has an infinite level of variation.

I get it if the mod will be retired (though I do hope it won't). So if this is the end I just wanted to thank you for all the help this mod has given me over the year. Truly it was one of my go-to, must-have mods for the game.

EDIT:

@ Supernovy

So... by setting it to absolute reference frame, you can force the part to snap along some... overall height range? As opposed to one set when you set the part down in the first place? Because when the height levels are set like the later, they're just not going to be consistent from one part to the next.

EDIT2:

Oh my... I think I got it to work... Thank you novy! This is a glorious day indeed.

Edited by PTNLemay

I don't want to live in a world without EditorExtensions!

EE is the mod I install first on every single one of my KSP installs (Kerbal Joint Reinforcement is installed second). I am constantly fumbling with the controls in KSP 0.90 now and while the editor has been greatly improved I still find it lacking. My workflow has suffered immensely so I pray for a quick and speedy update/revision of Editor Extensions.

I'm left wondering what I've been missing all this time, having never used vertical snap and not knowing what it's good for.

For me the most important issue is where it comes up is when docking land vehicles together. You need a consistent height in order for the docks to connect with one another.

It also helps whenever I want to create complex asymmetrical space stations. If you can keep the docks at a consistent height along a given piece, then you can connect lots of those pieces to make the station feel consistent. If not... then it quickly ends up looking like an awkward mish-mash of sticks and discs. It also REALLY helps with multi-point docking. If you have 2 docks on this component that are exactly this distance in height apart, you need the other component to have 2 docks exactly the same distance apart, otherwise they won't snap together.

For me the most important issue is where it comes up is when docking land vehicles together. You need a consistent height in order for the docks to connect with one another.

It also helps whenever I want to create complex asymmetrical space stations. If you can keep the docks at a consistent height along a given piece, then you can connect lots of those pieces to make the station feel consistent. If not... then it quickly ends up looking like an awkward mish-mash of sticks and discs. It also REALLY helps with multi-point docking. If you have 2 docks on this component that are exactly this distance in height apart, you need the other component to have 2 docks exactly the same distance apart, otherwise they won't snap together.

It also really helped with building an asparagus rocket. I would put on my boosters in pairs of 2 with vertical snap and the angle snap set to 30 degrees. This gave me an easy, perfect 6 outer booster asparagus stage.

Also, I loved how I could use it to attach sepratrons to KW's SRBs. I remember that a pair of the black KW ullage rockets placed on a SRB with verticle snap would be perfectly balanced for decoupling. I believe that this worked for all of KW's SRBs.

But the most important thing for me, BY FAR, was the ability to make things look pretty and neat and orderly.

Also, I loved how I could use it to attach sepratrons to KW's SRBs.

Indeed that's another issue that used to be only remedied by E.E., but that is now covered in the stock editor. You can tell him to perform symmetry around a single part (like a booster) or around the whole rocket like usual. This makes little additions like sepatrons a much simpler task.

And that's a perfect example where even the slightest imperfection in alignment (due to placing it manually) could have drastic consequences. Because the sepatrons could impart an uncontrolled spin on the booster as it separated.

Hi, i wan't to thank you and strongly encourage you to keep on making the editor the best thing we could have. I realy like the additional angle options and the vertical center snap.

One example for a new feature i would like is to be able to select angle snap by placement mode. (for example snap at the angles in placement mode but automatically switch to free mode in translation mode)

Greetings

Ben

I, too, just came to realise how much I depend on this wonderful mod. KSP might be wobbly asymmetrical rockets to some, but it isn't to me. This mod brings elegance to the game. Pretty please continue maintaining it!

I registered with this forum just to tell you that this tool is ESSENTIAL to building in KSP. Without vertical snap I feel like KSP is useless, also, more than 8x radial symmetry is important. I don't understand how these are not features of KSP itself, I was astonished a vertical snap feature didn't make it into the editor update. Until it does, please continue development of this tool. Thanks!

I registered with this forum just to tell you that this tool is ESSENTIAL to building in KSP. Without vertical snap I feel like KSP is useless, also, more than 8x radial symmetry is important. I don't understand how these are not features of KSP itself, I was astonished a vertical snap feature didn't make it into the editor update. Until it does, please continue development of this tool. Thanks!