[1.0.3] Editor Extensions v2.12 - 23 June

MachXXV

In one of the earlier posts, the author said the hotkeys were disabled while typing - but in the latest version, it seems they're now enabled again.

Easily reproducible by clicking on the rocket name, then typing for a while in the description box that appears.

Thanks for this mod. I really needed the 5 way symmetry for something and the vertical snap is also very useful.

There are a couple of other features that would come in handy (for me, at least). First, a display of the angles the selected part is at (and also possibly a part which is mouse-overed). Second, some way of changing the amount that the wasdqe keys rotate the item by (possibly only the shift-keys that currently do 5 degrees). I would like to be able to accurately set angles down to 0.1 degrees, possibly better, so cycling through 5, 1 and 0.1 (and maybe 0.01) degrees for it would be ideal.

I don't know if either of these is possible through KSP's editor interface. I am a programmer but have done very little C# and nothing with Unity. I've taken a look at the source for this plugin (and some others) and it looks pretty simple as long as we have access to the part angles and angle increment properties. If anyone knows the minimal setup I need to be able to build the source for this plugin and can point me at any appropriate documentation of the editor then I'd be happy to add the features myself (and maybe address some of the other issues/requests that have come up).

Pad.

What would that be?

I think he might mean when you have attached a part using symmetry it would then let you remove just one of the set.

I would also find it useful if there were various alignment features for aligning multiple parts on a parent part similar to the alignment options you get in vector graphics and 3d model editors. So you could select several parts (that are attached radially) and it would allow you to select different options for vertical and radial position. Vertical would allow to either align them by top, middle and bottom or distribute them equally in the space they occupy (top, middle, bottom, gaps). Radially would allow you to either align them all at the same radial angle or distribute them symmetrically around the parent part. This would allow you to throw parts onto your craft roughly and then ensure they are exactly lined up later. However, this would require you to be able to select multiple parts in the editor and this may not be possible (or be so difficult it is effectively impossible) without changes in the core editor code. Maybe it could use the tweakable window being open as the part being selected.

Does anyone know if there is any useful documentation on the core editor interface? I have experience of writing vector graphics editors (among other things) so have quite a good understanding of the various traps and pitfalls to avoid when writing this sort of code.

Another thing that really bugs me about the VAB is that you can only attach a sub-assembly to your craft by the root part of the sub-assembly. This is most unhelpful and I don't see why the sub-assembly shouldn't allow you to attach it by any of its (unconnected) nodes. It may need to re-root the sub-assembly part tree before attaching it to the main tree but there are several plugins around that can do this so it shouldn't be very hard to do it in the core editor code.

Basically, you place a part using symmetry, but then if you want to modify only one of the set it's impossible. My idea is that somehow you can remove the symmetry but keep the parts, or as I mentioned before, "break" the symmetry

Ah, ok. :)

If you are using vertical snap you can place them one after the other - but taking it back afterwards ... you would have to detach one, put it back without symmetry and then copy it with alt+mouseclick - would need vertical snap though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Could rotation degrees specification be possible. In normal ksp you can only rotate things in increments of 90 degrees but could you add a feature where say a structural beam could be at a 45 degree angle off a fuel tank? If this is already feasible please excuse me.

Could rotation degrees specification be possible. In normal ksp you can only rotate things in increments of 90 degrees but could you add a feature where say a structural beam could be at a 45 degree angle off a fuel tank? If this is already feasible please excuse me.

That's already a feature, simply hold down shift while rotating a part.

But that's still 5 degrees. I'd love 1-degree (or 2.5 degree) snaps.

AFAIK it's hard-coded in KSP... there's not even a chance to modify some variable (even if it's a private one) to change that...

Well, it should certainly be possible to keep track of the selected part rotation and detect when it is rotated (and in which direction) and then change the rotation but this is an awful lot of hassle (and may be less than perfectly reliable) when the core editor code could very easily expose a couple of variables to control the rotation increments. If it took longer than 10 minutes for one of the core developers to add this "feature" to the core game code I would be shocked...

I posted this in the suggestions and development forum a week or two ago...

In stock 0.23.5, it seems that when angle snap is on, radially attached parts also snap to the middle of the root part - is this new, or have I just been spoiled from using this mod for so long? :)

Re: CoM, I've had that before, and I think I narrowed it down to the existence the B9 SABRE engines on the craft, of all things.

And while I'm here, I want to again voice my desire for a way to vertical-snap radial parts at an arbitrary height on the root part in addition to the middle.

Actually, it happens sometime after I place those smaller lateral jet engines from B9. Maybe there's a specific module that's killing the CoM in the B9 pack...more investigation now. Thanks.