[WIP] KerbTown v0.13 Beta - Place static buildings, cities, launch sites & more!

Razchek

Your manual page is broken. I would just like to have a second launchpad that looks exactly like the first one, and nearby.

It's hosted by Google. So probably your end - I haven't changed the manual since 0.11.x.

What exactly is the "first one" reference you are making in your post. The floating launch ground, the stock launch pad, or something you've made yourself?

At this point you cannot reuse KSP Stock "Static" Objects.

@rasheed: I cannot replicate the errors you are getting in the log you provided.

Try re-downloading and then re-installing the plugin and temporarily remove all your static content.

Edited by Razchek

I was wondering if some one could make me like a company building for my company? I want something like the building below but with Fitzpatrick Corp on the front, like a billboard thingy. I have absolutely no modelling skills and would be grateful if some one could do this.

]

Front: (Rover body also one I made)

screenshot41_zpsc4367083.png

Back:

screenshot43_zps6d2fcc7d.png

So what we really need is a rover test drive area on Kerbin kind of like the one NASA made for the Apollo moon buggy. It would be a good place to test whether or not your design can do things like turn without breaking and brake without turning. Has anybody thought of doing something like that? I can model and texture, I might take a crack at it if it hasn't been done. The only problem is the last part I made was for like 1.12 or whatever it was a year ago so I'll probably need a lot of help getting anything in game.

Thanks for the cool video. :) It's fascinating how that rover has a kethane scanner on it. :P

No thanks necessary. I get to do this kinda thing every summer (used to be a camper, hopefully now I'm a councilor, well at least they hired me. . . ) Lest I can do is give it back. Pass the video around though. It is too cool not to see a Curiosity here on earth with *almost* everything of the one on mars. It even has the $180,000 set of wheels.

This is one of my favorite threads. I haven't downloaded KerbTown, and I probably won't until there are some user-created cities, etc, to place around Kerbin (I am having enough fun with launching rockets and trying to rescue my first Mun mission right now to go mucking about with changing the placement of objects in the world just yet). But I love to see how modders are taking this great game ever further, and this is one of the strongest threads of that right now.

OK, I've got a few questions. I threw something together today, it's not that pretty, but it should work as proof of concept to see if I can actually get this in game.

Right now everything is a bunch of separate objects, do I need to merge them all into a single mesh?

Can it use the same non convex mesh as a collision mesh or do I need to figure out some kind of workaround?

Here's a picture: kVWBteB.png

The base hill is a single object, but everything on it is not. Total polycount is 1444

Nah I use 3dsmax. I know how to do it, just not sure if it needs to be done.

You don't need to merge them. Just ensure you place all your meshes as descendants of the empty game object with the KSP Part Tools component attached. You also do not need to use the convex option in your mesh collider properties. You can, but you don't have to for these objects. :)

Each mesh can have their own colliders.

This is one of my favorite threads. I haven't downloaded KerbTown, and I probably won't until there are some user-created cities, etc, to place around Kerbin (I am having enough fun with launching rockets and trying to rescue my first Mun mission right now to go mucking about with changing the placement of objects in the world just yet). But I love to see how modders are taking this great game ever further, and this is one of the strongest threads of that right now.

Good to have followers! :)

How do u make a normal sketch up creation into a placeable static object?

You'll need to know how to at least make a part - if you can get that far then take a look at the manual provided in the first post. The creation of a static object is essentially the same a part. :)

Edited by Razchek

Could someone help me with the launch site stuff? I am trying to get a wharf working as a launch site. I have placed the static on the shore and marked it as launch site. The launch site shows up in the VAB/SPH, but when i launch from there the game always puts the vessels underwater on an altitude so that they "rest" on the underwater terrain (Z=-20m) instead of at the Z-Level where the spawn-point is located (z=0, ocean surface).

Q52y7oA.png

Could someone help me with the launch site stuff? I am trying to get a wharf working as a launch site. I have placed the static on the shore and marked it as launch site. The launch site shows up in the VAB/SPH, but when i launch from there the game always puts the vessels underwater on an altitude so that they "rest" on the underwater terrain (Z=-20m) instead of at the Z-Level where the spawn-point is located (z=0, ocean surface).

Q52y7oA.png

That's just how it works with launch sites, before KSP can enable physics it has to "PutShipToGround". This is intended to prevent ships clipping into terrain and exploding, or being way high up and exploding, and in /most/ situations it makes a lot of sense and works well. It just so happens that over tha last month a lot of situations where it doesn't make sense have been found.

Statis are considered "ground", so if you put stuff under the launch site but shallow enough that buoyancy won't throw your ships into the air too much, this should overcome your issues. I believe PutShipToGround operates by colliders, so this could be an invisible mesh, or you could fake a little underwater shelf; ships will be able to hit it either way.