Campaign/Career mode seems very dull to me

Hiddos

I'm not sure if I'm the only one who feels about it this way, but what I love so much about sandbox is that resources are endless, and part of the fun is crashing, screwing up, failing, not knowing what's going to happen or where you're going to land. Career mode seems limiting in that point of view, considering it's based on objectives set by the computer, and there's no real straying away from them

Any comments? Am I missing something? Do others share the same opinion?

Nah, I'm looking forward to career mode to give a little meaning to my Kerbal endeavors. An objective-driven game mode can still offer lots of room for freestyling. Think of games like Civilization. Sure there's a goal and a tech tree, but how you get there is entirely up to you and you can take all sorts of detours (and be rewarded for them) if you want. Plus, Sandbox is not going way :)

Career mode is going to be awesome, finally objectives and challenges... no doubt a whole new are for modding, custom mission types etc

why would anyone want squad to abandon it? If you don't want to play a campaign you can still play sandbox

I am actually looking forward to career mode.

I think you will be able to research, have limited resources, etc. It will not only help you understand the game better, but also set limits on free-styling which is a while new way to freestyle.

Basically: here are your resources, this is what you need to do, figure it out. As opposed to "here are unlimited resources, do what you want". "Too much freedom" isn't always a good thing in my opinion. It gets boring if there is no challenge.

Career mode will probably be fine, but it annoys me that an unfinished sandbox is put on hold to work on it. I'd far rather all gameplay were finished first, so that exactly what form career mode would take ought to be obvious from the contents of the game at that time.

I think it will/could add great tension and complexity to your missions. 'Don't screw up this landing Jeb, we can't afford to send a rescue'.

It could be an opportunity to add a lot of realism too. Let's say you want to send an unmanned rover to Duna. First you'd need to set up a network of communication satellites around Kerbin and around Duna, otherwise you wouldn't be able to control your rover. If you don't set up the satellites in proper orbits you'd have dark spots on Duna depending on the time. This would be a good reason to have things geosynchronous orbits, etc.

Career mode will probably be fine, but it annoys me that an unfinished sandbox is put on hold to work on it. I'd far rather all gameplay were finished first, so that exactly what form career mode would take ought to be obvious from the contents of the game at that time.

There's been several SQUAD articles about this. In the time it takes to polish up the aerodynamics they could get 4 times as much work done on the career. 80/20. The final 20% takes just as long to complete as the first 80% percent. It's time-benefit ratio.

The workings of career mode could easily mold the gameplay as much as the gameplay would mold the career mode. For that to happen, they must be created in tandem. Also, many of us ARE looking forward to having some sort of goals to achieve.

I'm not saying Squad should cancel career mode at all, I'm just saying I'd prefer going out there and exploring things for myself rather than having specific tasks assigned (which, I know, is a choice). I was just asking if there were other people sharing a somewhat similar opinion ^^

I'd think that they would get all the core gameplay finished before building career mode around it. Putting man-hours into career when sandbox isn't done doesn't seem entirely logical to me (of course I can't see their roadmap, so...)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.