[0.24.2] TiberDyne Aerospace R&D Division - Shuttle System 3.6 Career Update!

Tiberion

I really miss the thrust compensating plugin :(

edit: that needs to come back, or a plugin that gimbals engines to zero out the control inputs so that when you make a change the ship doesn't spin wildly out of control. p.s. - although I'm not thrilled about the shuttle, I love the Shuttle engines! They make it easy to build Shuttles with B9 and KW rocketry parts!

Edited by tech_op2000

Well, tried a few things;

Shrinking and editing the intakes didn't work, I couldn't make it small enough to clear while still allowing to to look decent.

I tried cutting up the doors to make them open only the top panels, but that ended up in a mess.

Finally, I decided to do it this way:

I might go back and add some rail/tracks so it looks more authentic sometimes, but I think it'll work. its not replacing the old bay, just adding a 2nd model with a different animation.

Crisis averted.

(and excuse the shrunken video, I don't understand OBS very well yet.)

Edited by Tiberion

Jupiter Main engine is mostly done, just need to make the adapters to hold them in 3x and 4x arrangements.

kPiFZYX.png

Alrighty then:

VPNl7xS.png

Based on http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/22/DIRECT_Jupiter-232_Exploded.jpg

So, options!

I could make the engine itself standalone (its 1.25m) and put 3 nodes on that engine mount, or I could use MODEL{} nodes and weld the engines on there. Less wobble, or more options?

Also, 4x adapter too?

Edited by Tiberion

I could make the engine itself standalone (its 1.25m) and put 3 nodes on that engine mount, or I could use MODEL{} nodes and weld the engines on there. Less wobble, or more options?

Also, 4x adapter too?

I would honestly prefer them separate because it allows them to be much more versatile when used in a variety of configurations on different launchers. I'm not sure a 4x adapter is necessary, we can always make our own, and it saves you work.

The shuttle can lift about 20 tons in the NASA configuration and 22 or 23 with the Russian launcher (since you drop that engine once you hit orbit)

Might change a bit when I start balancing the new tanks. And of course it matters what altitude you're trying to reach.

I'm gonna do a 4x engine stand, but it'll be in quad formation, having 4x in a row doesn't quite fit at this scale.

Deadly re-entry - I have no idea, I've never really used it. Not sure how you specify heat shields or whatever.

I'm having a bit trouble with three of the parts. IDK if they were updated yet. When I try to bring up the shuttles it says the left and right wing tanks and the cargo bay are not there. Any solutions on how to fix it? What are my options?

Edited by Capricorn One

Hey Tiberion, I actually just finished a rough CFG for Tiberdyne and Deadly Reentry. I basically took how he treated B9, and converted that method to the shuttle.

Essentially, as long as you enter in with the heat shield in front, you will have no problems.

If you want me to send you the file for you to mess with, just tell me.

Capricorn: Those parts includes welded models, and require the part folders to be installed in the correct spot, or the folder paths are messed up and the parts will not load.

Inside the zip file, the "TiberDyneShuttle" folder inside GameData MUST be placed in the GameData folder inside your KSP install (next to the Squad folder which contains all of the Parts, Props, and other junk for the stock game.)

GamerGaius: You can post a link to it in thread for others to try if you want, I can't care. I haven't messed with Deadly re-entry since it was brand new so I don't know that I could add anything valuable right now, but if it works out I'll include it in the extras or something.

---

Didn't work on anything today, relaxed and played some games :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kmpj53gw66ahho0/DeadlyReentry_TiberDyne_Shuttle.cfg

This is the link. Put it in your Deadly Reentry or TiberDyne folder. It isn't perfect, but it should give you a good start. I use 2.1, but it SHOULD work with more modern incarnations...

If someone could independently verify this works, I would appreciate it.

Yikes, thats hard to look at now. Those wings man, they are not good.

pJZauKe.png

functionally similar, visually not so much. The current, about-to-be-replaced-tank doesn't look so bad next to the old one, heh.

That screenshot is pretty old, its from December of 2011, it was just after fuel lines were added in KSP 0.13. :)

Staging was changed in 0.14 or 0.15 I think, I couldn't find the reference in the patch notes on the wiki

Edited by Tiberion

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kmpj53gw66ahho0/DeadlyReentry_TiberDyne_Shuttle.cfg

This is the link. Put it in your Deadly Reentry or TiberDyne folder. It isn't perfect, but it should give you a good start. I use 2.1, but it SHOULD work with more modern incarnations...

If someone could independently verify this works, I would appreciate it.

Thank you so much! I will try it later.

Yeah you can't really turn of SAS with the main engines firing or things get pretty wild. Thankfully you can just hit CAPSLOCK to enable Precision controls to be able to steer with it remaining on.

Decided just to rework the Blizzard engine to make the 4x base, and then you can just swap the engines around as you see fit. Wasn't happy with the baseplate I had in there anyway.

WwlUaHa.png

Gonna tweak the top connection on the engine itself a little too. I like it though.

Yep, the engines are single, 1.25m engines (but significantly more powerful than stock KSP engines, 4x engines with about 200 thrust each won't lift squat)

And there's a 3x and a 4x baseplate for the tanks. Then there will be the shuttle engine cluster itself, which needs to be its own .mu so I can add in the 15 degree thrust vector angle (to lower the gimbal range requirments)

I did most of the balancing and setup today so I can start testing the flight profiles again, seems to have translated across from the old tanks pretty well- the tanks themselves are balanced against stock values now so you can use them elsewhere without worry about being overpowered. The engines may be a personal choice whether you like them or not.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Ignore the jagged edges on that last image, the Unity preview window doesn't anti-alias very well. It looks pretty nice in game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.