BSC - Two-stage Lander - We have a WINNER!

Let me introduce Space Lynx - new generation of 2-stage lender:

Statistics:

• mass: 13.9 tons (13 without rover and probe)
  • parts: 124 (73 without rover and probe)
  • vacuum descent stage dV: ~1500 m/s (1650 m/s without rover and probe)
  • vacuum ascent stage dV: ~1300 m/s
  • Mun descent/ascent 3.5/4:
  • Minmus descent/ascent TWR: 7/8
  • Moho descent/ascent TWR: 1.5/1.6

Lander include next options:

1. 2-seats rover, stable enough for Mun (not overspeed 10m/s)
  2. science probe (added for balance purposes, second rover can be installed as probe replacement)

Lynx can land and return back to orbit almost on all planets and moon in Kerbin system (except Kerbin, Tylo, Laythe and Eve). And yes, you can land and return to orbit for Dune (use descent stage as first ascend stage and decouple it in flight).

Very strong and wide legs with combination of low center of mass enable succssefully landing with high vertical (up to 10 m/s, tested on Moho) and horizontal speed (up to 4-5 m/s, with SAS on), but not guarantee it :).

Well balanced RCS system wth only linear RCS engines for one ascent stage and for time when stages connected.

I now that inclined engine do not have maximum efficience, I used it here for aesthetic purposes only.

Mun test mission report:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Craft file is here

Edited by Mesklin

Insomnia and Kerbal Space Program is a dangerous mix.

Ok so this one isn't my official entry either (that still remains as the sturdier first page entry) but just for fun as something of an engineering accomplishment I present the 2-stage Donut:

Features:

Can take two kerbals with 3000dv fuel to all the best places in the solar system at just 7.7 tons.

RCS, landing light, four batteries, 2 deployable solar panels, mini-booster assisted ascent stage for easy clearing of landing legs before main engines fire.

No ladders! Research shows most workplace accidents occur under ladders and not around millions of gallons of highly explosive rocket fuel as previously thought. The Donut eliminates the curse of retractable landing ladders, allowing a kerbal to step right from the crew compartment to the surface of alien worlds.

Total mass: 7.7 tons

Total vacuum DV: ~3000dv (1600 descent, 1400 ascent, discounting sepratrons)

Balanced TWR:

Mun: 6.5/6.7 descent/ascent

Minmus: 13.5/13.9 descent/ascent

Moho: 2.7/2.8 descent/ascent

Kerbin: 1.1/1.1 descent/ascent (just enough to test on launchpad)

Like I say, not my official entry as it's a little too fragile to be a stock craft. Those spindly landing legs require a delicate touch - or my usual ham-fisted landing coupled with liberal application of the quicksave feature. I just found myself rather chuffed at squeezing two kerbonauts and 3000dv of fuel into a 7.7 ton two stage lander.

Also worth noting how I *love* those mini boosters. I used them on my official entry as well, having copied them from the current stock lander. It's a fine example of my learning a new trick from the stock craft and then applying it to my own firework displays. They solve the problem of not being able to throttle up the ascent engines before jettisoning the lander stage legs because, unless lander engines are individually shut down beforehand throttling up would have the craft take off with the lander stage still attached.

Craft file is here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzCQMKilmnyaOHIzOFRQR01Id0U/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by MiniMatt
added .craft file

I present to you, the "Two Stage Lander Redux"

phaMxJC.jpg

I like serially staged vehicles, so this one is powered by a single LV909 Engine on the descent module and a serial 48-7s for the ascent module. It includes a few Battman Bateries for when we forget to pull out the solar panels and about twice the nescessary DV to land and to ascend. This is overkill, just the way I like it.

Here is a full Album and Download link

Edited by AmpsterMan

Why did you use the 24-77?

I meant to say the "Rockomax 48-7S" but forgot the name of it at the time of posting. :P

Assuming you might want to know why, however, mainly because it's lightweight helps reduce inneficiencies in beinging that engine down in the first place. Ofcourse, if you want to be real efficient I guess I could have shaved more mass off from using a smaller decoupler, smaller batteries, and three lander legs, but alas this is really just my prototype. I might be doing some of these mass shavings in the 1.1 version.

Still, I think I went beyond the scope of your question XD

So, I finally made something that I liked:

2-Stage Lander mk2000

2Iv6kLC.png

sdjs8TF.jpg

Y7ijIqH.png

Features:

- Hidden solar panels and batteries - for both aesthetics and ruggedness.

- Large landing legs - Sturdy and stable.

- Can upright itself if it tips over.

- A parachute in case you want to ditch your friends in the CM and go home by yourself.

- Sepratron-assisted liftoff

- It can survive a 20m/s landing.

- Easy to fly

90 parts

8.04 tons

Action groups:

5 - Decent stage ignition

6 - Start ascent stage

7 - Deploy parachute

Download: http://www./download/fbdouaxd3rzpozj/2-Stage_Lander_mk2000.craft

Edited by Giggleplex777

screenshot81-293x261.png

Here is one heavily based off of the stock lander. I think it was really good with few problems. I removed the Separatron Launch Boosters, the useless adapter and nosecones, and added RCS. It also has two CRAP cargo ready addon ports. for attaching rovers and the like.

Spaceport Download. http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/better-stock-craft-mk2-two-stage-lander/

Edited by GregroxMun
fixed pic

I don't find many of these designs intuitive enough. Really the stock lander is great.

In that case, and at the risk of descending into the ugly business of electioneering - let alone distasteful self promotion, may I humbly suggest my entry on page 1: Two Stage Lander Take Two which is basically the stock lander updated and - I modestly submit - improved.

Edited by MiniMatt

I don't find many of these designs intuitive enough. Really the stock lander is great.

I kinda disagree. The stock lander has plenty of DV for the landing stage but the ascent stage is kinda low on the DV end. Furthermore, it doesn't really have any RCS which makes it a bit more difficult to rendezvous with a command module. It also has a bit too much TWR for it's landing stage IMO.

Still, I think it is one of the Stock Crafts.

Wait, scratch my first entry. I gotta enter this one instead:

The A-11 (a big gun with a lander wrapped around it)

.craft file here

Design principles:

• Nuclear engine next to crew pods, why not?
  • Example of how to use 1 engine for multiple roles
  • Lots of Delta-V, but manageable TWR
  • Robust legs - 10+ m/s landings
  • Lighting and cockpit views are as good as possible for practicing landing / docking in IVA.

Weight: 12 tons-ish

Ok, again with the insomnia and again with the little green crash test dummies.

Once again, not my official entry, that remains the far more sensible Two Stage Lander Take Two.

Wanted to have a go at the teeniest tiniest two stage. Ended up with this Pico 2-Stage. Can take four kerbonauts to most moons and back with 2,330 delta-v. Has all the usual luxuries such as landing lights, RCS, docking ports & ladders. Has none of the usual luxuries like an actual cabin or much chance of survival. It weighs just 2.47 tons with 35 parts.

Vital statistics

4 Kerbal capacity

35 parts

1180 descent delta-v

1150 ascent delta-v

2.47 tons

Craft file link: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzCQMKilmnyaMVJTeXZqLTRTTUU/edit?usp=sharing

This was intended to land on Duna and return. As the landing speed under mains is 12.5 m/sec for Duna, a short burst from the engines is needed to slow down prior to touchdown. All stock parts. Without chutes, it will land on Mum or other small moons. (I crashed due to landing in the dark but survived with three engines and one landing gear gone.)

Landing on Eve. Note, there is not enough delta V to return to orbit from Eve.

Ww6x6I6.jpg

I'll post a craft file breakdown and maybbe a better picture later.

Edited by SRV Ron

"You craft MUST NOT use any mods - 100% stock" - Check!

"You need to show us at least one Screenshot" - Check!

"You need to make you .craft file available" - Check!... Here

"Your craft should be easy to use, simple and safe" - oh....

"Stock craft are mostly for new players" - Um... not sure I agree!

"They should not be overwhelmed by 10 action groups that must be used at the right time" - Nothing that has to be used with any urgency.

"Your craft should be an example new players can emulate" - Anyone can build anything with practice!

"It should demonstrate design techniques" - Check

"You will have 96 hours to build you craft" oh lol... wish I'd read through first!

Ok I think I've lost lol :) but hopefully some inspiration for new lander builders!

kuzy.jpg

It's allright, you still have ~3.5 hours left.

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!

Why couldn't I have seen this challenge sooner! My lander from the "Apollo-style challenge" would have been perfect with a little modification. I won't even have access to a computer until after 2p pacific time.

Best luck to all entrants. How often do you hold these design challenges?

As promised, a better picture of the Duna Lander, all stock.

91CDoVl.jpg

Craft file;

1. MK-1 Command Module

2. MK-16 Parachute

3. TR-18A Stack Decoupler

4. FL-R25 fuel tank

5. 8 Ox Stat solar panels

6. 4 RV-105 thruster blocks

7. TR-18 Stack Decoupler

8. FL-200 fuel tank

9. FL-400 Fuel tank

10. LV-909 engine

Landing stage;

1. 3- TT38K radical decouplers on the FL-400

2. 3 FL-400 fuel tanks

3. 3 LV-909 engine

4. LT-1 Lander Legs mounted as low as possible.

5. 3 fuel lines for onion staging.

6. Optional for landing on Duna, 3 MK-16 XL parachutes on top of the FL-400 fuel tanks.

You will need to use a short burst of the lander engine to reduce speed at the last few seconds to safely land on Duna.

Note, the three parachutes on the lander section are not needed for a Mun or Minmus landing where you can directly return to Kerban at the end of the mission. It should be possible to return to Kerban from Duna without refueling.

This has also landed on Eve with parachutes only, but there is insufficient Delta V on this design for an orbital return.

It is recommended that you add a ladder to make it easier for your Kerbal to get back into the command module.

Edit; Requested craft link;

http://www.4shared.com/file/5XGnr306/Duna_Lander.html

Edited by SRV Ron

Name: "Improved 2-stage 2-man lander"

Mass: 11.23 tons

Kerbin TWR: stage 1 = 1.45; stage 0 = 1.44

Simple design, nothing complicated. Innovative RCS port configuration. Capable of being attached to a rocket stack from above or below the lander.

100% stock.

.craft file here:

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/447394/Improved-2-stage-2-man-lander-craft.html

99k461A.jpg

edit: removed mechjeb and re-uploaded.

Edited by sploden

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.