[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

V1 will only ship with blocked out IVAs. I need to hunker down and do a large number of new props before I can pull them off as I'd like to. My free time ends pretty soon too (really should be studying for that LSAT thing...).

Will try to get the beta release out later today or tomorrow.

September 27th!!! Yea man its gonna suck!!!

A plushy version of the little octopus from the science update trailer. Why? Soyuz has soft toys as acceleration indicators. Might be a bit difficult to get it to float around, but you've got the coffee mug already!

Aha! The best idea! Maybe it won't float, but I can totally put it in the hab module.

• 2 weeks later...

Things are coming along. Just need to texture fire extinguisher and make more postits and checklists.

ivaB1.jpg

This guy, slower. Basic layout and texture is done, but needs some detail. It's empty and I'm not sure what exactly to put in it.

ivaA1.jpg

Laid out the main instrument panel for the PPD-1. Works pretty well ingame, detailing the rest of the interior at the moment. Going to be a pain to texture this one...

instLayout.jpg

Going by what's on the international space station - the walls are generally littered with experiment containers/racks and dozens, if not hundreds, of laptops controlling them. If you ever run out of things to place into your modules, then just stuff it full of nondescript but sciency-looking racks and computer parts :P

Another thing you'll see in some ISS modules is mountains of cargo. They have spaces where there's just a narrow tunnel for the crew to float through, with storage sacks and containers all around.

Here's a tour video for reference:

Things are coming along. Just need to texture fire extinguisher and make more postits and checklists.

http://nertea.the3rdage.net/ksp/ivaB1.jpg

This guy, slower. Basic layout and texture is done, but needs some detail. It's empty and I'm not sure what exactly to put in it.

http://nertea.the3rdage.net/ksp/ivaA1.jpg

Laid out the main instrument panel for the PPD-1. Works pretty well ingame, detailing the rest of the interior at the moment. Going to be a pain to texture this one...

http://nertea.the3rdage.net/ksp/instLayout.jpg

After seeing this, my jaw dropped on to the keyboard. That looks absolutely awesome! First you do Near Future mod and now this! Please, keep it coming. :cool:

So, I have had no time to model things recently (and haven't been on the forums much either), so progress has been bad. However, I though I'd post some sketches I did at work to see whether there's interest in another spaceplane fuselage type done in the stockalike style, of course.

I am aware that the Mk3 set is getting retired and upgraded so I don't really aim to replace it, so this is more of a Mk...4 set. Call it an alternate.

mk4.jpg

Cookies (and er, rep I guess) to the first person to figure out the primary inspiration (it's not hard, but you might need to be past a certain age...).

Design goals were that it could contain a 2.5m stack with room to spare. Initial thoughts on that sheet are a cockpit (4-man?), a short and a long fuel tank, a short and a long cargo bay, an air intake, an engine (possibly rapier-type), a smooth "cap" piece, and a few adapters. And of course, a "cut out" fuel tank section and pod to go in it (see the design inspiration for what I mean).

Docking port, probe core, RCS tanks, etc, would probably follow eventually.

Hm. I like the idea of a Mk4 (although it's actually a Mk3-2) fuselage. Depending on how the stock cargobays work, this could be quite interesting.

You better be prepared to make a whole lot of adapters though. Mk3-2 to 2.5+2x1.25, to 2x1.25, to 5x1.25 (two top, three bottom), to 2.5m plain, to Mk2, to Mk3, to Mk2+2x0.625... I'm sure there are more.

Thunderbirds Are GO!

You win the prize! It is indeed Thunderbird 2. I was sketching Fireflash and RTL-2 bits too, but this seemed to work best.

Hm. I like the idea of a Mk4 (although it's actually a Mk3-2) fuselage. Depending on how the stock cargobays work, this could be quite interesting.

You better be prepared to make a whole lot of adapters though. Mk3-2 to 2.5+2x1.25, to 2x1.25, to 5x1.25 (two top, three bottom), to 2.5m plain, to Mk2, to Mk3, to Mk2+2x0.625... I'm sure there are more.

I don't think it's strictly required though. A few are a no-brainer (MkX to Mk2 for example), but many of the rest are bonuses and would take a back seat to other parts. I'd wait to start on anything until 0.25 is released anyways.

@Nertea: Those hatches you showed on the previous page. Would you consider making a few windows as well? And release them as (KAS-able) parts?

This opens the door (haha) to creating habitats/workshops out of empty fuel tanks. :D

It depends how much work it is for me ;).

More sketches after work!

Number 2 was always my favorite, I think I still have it somewhere in a box. Would love to see what you come up with. Are you planning on doing the drop down cargo bay?

I would indeed. I'd like to make a "frame" piece with a cargo pod that slots in there.

I sketched the bits in more detail. If possibly the cockpit is going to be split with the nose off (with either a round or Mk2 cross section). I envision 3 variants - one that's just a nosecone, one that opens to reveal a docking port, and one that's hollow for small equipment storage. Like SP+, I think there will be 2 distinct sizes of fuselage, one double the other, and matching cargo bays of the two sizes.

sketches2.jpg

I also spent some time cleaning up the three 3.75m crew pieces that I'm going to be working on first. As you can see, I decided to make them all enterable (and probably with IVA views). Any work on this will wait until 0.25 drops, have to see exactly what form crew transfer takes.

hab375m.png

@Nertea: Those hatches you showed on the previous page. Would you consider making a few windows as well? And release them as (KAS-able) parts?

This opens the door (haha) to creating habitats/workshops out of empty fuel tanks. :D

I dont know if these are KAS-able parts or not, but it does have the wet workshop parts it sounds like your asking for.

Dunno, you might want to take a look.

And interesting, i didnt know KAS had been updated for .24.2. Heh.

I would indeed. I'd like to make a "frame" piece with a cargo pod that slots in there.

I sketched the bits in more detail. If possibly the cockpit is going to be split with the nose off (with either a round or Mk2 cross section). I envision 3 variants - one that's just a nosecone, one that opens to reveal a docking port, and one that's hollow for small equipment storage. Like SP+, I think there will be 2 distinct sizes of fuselage, one double the other, and matching cargo bays of the two sizes.

http://nertea.the3rdage.net/ksp/sketches2.jpg

I also spent some time cleaning up the three 3.75m crew pieces that I'm going to be working on first. As you can see, I decided to make them all enterable (and probably with IVA views). Any work on this will wait until 0.25 drops, have to see exactly what form crew transfer takes.

http://nertea.the3rdage.net/ksp/hab375m.png

Is the middle one designed for re-entry as well as space station use? If so, it would fill a niche quite nicely.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.