[0.90]Kerbal Isp Difficulty Scaler v1.4.2; 12/16/14

ferram4

Why would it require FAR to work? It simply includes a large number of settings for FAR because (1) that's my major project and (2) that's what it was originally intended to do (address concerns of lower dV to orbit with FAR). Nothing in the code requires FAR.

Why would it require FAR to work? It simply includes a large number of settings for FAR because (1) that's my major project and (2) that's what it was originally intended to do (address concerns of lower dV to orbit with FAR). Nothing in the code requires FAR.

One of the options says FAR to realistic. I guess I'm still confused what this mod does exactly. Sorry.

It...scales your Isp. It's really that simple.

There are various presets:

One for people who say "FAR IS LE CHEATY" because you no longer have insanely high drag losses. So FAR to Stock makes getting to orbit in FAR take the same amount of fuel as stock KSP.

One is for people who want to make real-life-size rockets but play in the stock-sized system. FAR to Realistic will scale down Isps such that you only get a realistic payload fraction.

One is like that, but takes into account the fact that KSP hardware stinks and therefore you get less delta v than you would in real life (engines and tanks are 3-4x as heavy as they should be, for instance).

Etc.

• 3 weeks later...

@NocTempre: KIDS affects all engines by scaling Isp without much regard for realism (except changing thrust instead of fuel consumption, if you set that). AJE tries to model jet engines properly. There's not much overlap except in the "it changes engines somehow" department.

@tater: Then you did not install it correctly / something is interfering with it. Follow the steps in this sticky.

@tater: Then you did not install it correctly / something is interfering with it. Follow the steps in this sticky.

I put the KerbalIspDifficultyScaler folder inside GameData. That directory contains a KIDS.version file, and two directories (Plugins and Textures).

OK, I pulled Distant Objects (and with it, Toolbar) and I have the KIDS icon now.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using FAR and KIDS with FAR to stock KSP, Atmosphere only. I am very pleased so far, with one exception; My Launch Escape System seems to suffer heavily from it.

So what option do I have? Can I modify the configfile for a LES to give it more fuel or something?

@Johnny2000: Yeah, that's an option. The stock LES isn't really set up all that well to begin with though, you're probably better off using a 3rd party one.

Anyway, v1.4.1 is out with 0.25 compatibility.

As a note, KIDS will now disable itself on win64 due to the previous stability issues that have only worsened with the 0.25 update.

Question for intelligent veterans:

I'm using FAR and KIDS with the stock Kerbol system. I'm aiming for realism, but I'm not a glutton for punishment, either. I have been using the FAR->Stock KSP Universal preset, but I was wondering if the Atmosphere-Only preset would be more "realistic." I'd also like to try out thrust varying with ISP, but I don't know (for a stock Kerbol system) where to adjust the sliders to make it "fit." Does anyone have any advice? Perhaps your own custom settings?

Realistic for the stock system would be way, way less delta V than is required even with FAR, since Kerbin shouldn't be that dense or, even if it is that dense, have that much atmosphere. :]

If you want to stay with the Kerbol system as it is, then for realism (rather than difficulty, which is not the same thing) you should either keep Isps as they are, or maybe decrease them across the board slightly (since 370, let alone 390+, is way too high for [sane] storable propellant; try .85 multipliers for both). The "FAR to stock" thing is if you want engines to be bad, unrealistically, in atmosphere, in order to have to build larger rockets.

Realistic for the stock system would be way, way less delta V than is required even with FAR, since Kerbin shouldn't be that dense or, even if it is that dense, have that much atmosphere. :]

If you want to stay with the Kerbol system as it is, then for realism (rather than difficulty, which is not the same thing) you should either keep Isps as they are, or maybe decrease them across the board slightly (since 370, let alone 390+, is way too high for [sane] storable propellant; try .85 multipliers for both). The "FAR to stock" thing is if you want engines to be bad, unrealistically, in atmosphere, in order to have to build larger rockets.

Right, I should have said realism-to-scale/difficulty not just realism. If I were to put the multipliers at .81, and then have thrust vary with ISP (with scaling cutoffs at 385isp/200kN), would that scale the difficulty well, or would it totally set things out of balance? I don't know if I need to do things differently to the multipliers if I also have the varying thrust option.

What I forgot temporarily is that while KSP has too-high Isps for most (but not all) its chemical engines, those engines *also* mass about 4x what they should, as do tanks. So it evens out.

If you want realism-to-scale, use RealFuels. :)

That will make both masses and Isps realistic.

That is correct. It is intended to reduce the dV to orbit, but not reduce the dV while in vacuum; this requires a very, very low multiplier in the atmosphere, but a multiplier of 1 in vacuum. Otherwise, it wouldn't be "FAR to Stock KSP, Atmosphere Only", it would be "FAR to not really stock KSP at all, Atmosphere Only."

If you want realism-to-scale, use RealFuels. :)

That will make both masses and Isps realistic.

So if I use RealFuels on Kerbin I should not use KIDS? Currently I have both installed and set KIDS to KSP to realistic adjusted. I also have AJE installed, though I guess that just influences atmospheric engines.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.