[0.23.5] TreeLoader - Custom Career Tech-tree Loader 1.1.5

r4m0n

But how i can send Scientific value without antenna using Yargnit ?

You can't.

However, there are quite a few other ways to gather science.

The simplest way would be:

• "Launch" only a command capsule
  • Do a crew report
  • EVA
  • EVA report + surface sample from launch pad
  • Store samples and walk away from the launch pad
  • EVA report + surface sample from KSC
  • return to capsule, recover vessel

This should easily give you enough science for the next node and a bit to spare.

Now, strap a solid booster or two under your command capsule, put a parachute on top and blast it off into space.

Then do your crew report, space EVA (I'd recommend against doing an eva while the boosters are firing...), land with the help of your parachute and EVA + surface sample again.

Recover the vessel and remember that you can recover a vessel and kerbals seperatly if you can't get back into your capsule for whatever reason.

This usually gives me enough science to get to the first science node and the second Liquid Fuel node.

Just a hint for those that may have trouble with Yargnit's tree: You can get quite a bit of science on literally the very first mission you do without even lifting up from the ground. The launchpad gives you two sources of samples, and also do an EVA report and a crew report from the capsule.

Just a hint for those that may have trouble with Yargnit's tree: You can get quite a bit of science on literally the very first mission you do without even lifting up from the ground. The launchpad gives you two sources of samples, and also do an EVA report and a crew report from the capsule.

Or you can go sub-orbital with the boosters, by triggering the one above to ignite just before the end of the previous so that the spent one explodes. :)

That last bit makes absolutly no sense, was mentioned in another thread. The ONLY science currently ingame that should have to be returned is soil samples. Everything else is just reports (i think its safe to assume these reports are writen, maybe with pics and a bit of raw data). Where is the logic in making a report have to be returned rather than transmited? Just something to think about if your going for realism rather than just making it harder.

I'd argue that the goo container and science bay do warrant returning as well, since they expose materials to certain conditions and a mere report on the results isn't quite the same as returning the samples back home for detailed study on residual effects, like with soil samples being brought back for a more detailed analysis of components than can be done in the field. Though in the case of goo escaping there isn't a sample to return, so there are faults in my logic... :P

I do agree that the only reason not to send a crew/eva reports, temperature readings and such should be an issue with lack of power for transmitting not difficulty, though some might like the added artificial difficulty of returning reports or going bust.

I think Yargnit has the start parts right. You don't want to be launching no stupid probe on your first mission. How dramatic is that?

Secondly, strapping Jeb onto a solid rocket booster (or more) with a TWR over 5 at launch is perfect.

I'm playing at "half-science" (regex) rewards.

I think Yargnit has the start parts right. You don't want to be launching no stupid probe on your first mission. How dramatic is that?

Secondly, strapping Jeb onto a solid rocket booster (or more) with a TWR over 5 at launch is perfect.

I'm playing at "half-science" (regex) rewards.

I'm actually overturning my previous opinions about probes, so I agree with you. Launching a kerbal on a single SRB is fun gameplay, and well worth waiting a mission or two to unlock more "sensible" options.

My first idea with a capsule and the starter SRB's was to put a central booster right under the pod, then place 4 more in symetry around the center. Only fire two perimeter boosters at a time then the final stage is the center...you can get plenty into space this way for bookoo science points on mission one....land safely in the desert and take surface samples.

--Nutty

I am really looking forward to people making their own trees. One that starts off purely with planes (AND LADDERS) so that you start off by researching Kerbin sounds fun.

I am really considering playing and relegating myself to not being able to use the Comm dishes at all. It might still be early on, but with my first flight in Yargit's and with the config edit to reduce science by half, I was only about 10 science short of getting the comm antenna on my first flight.

Regardless, this whole thing is very great and I look forward to the full releases. The only part that saddens me is that there really is no use for probes or rovers right now, nor is it any easier to send a probe than it is a Kerbal (I can land a Kerbal on Duna just as easily as I can a probe, and the probe can't do anything). Still, if the science system is kind of like a tutorial, than the original setup makes sense, but I am much more looking forward to modded ones with a much higher science requirement and emphases on different methods.

Now back to figuring out why my game crashes on every launch...

Howdy all,

I'm working on a series of missions to make a space program from unmanned to manned, but I realized that if I have Tree Loader as the part of the mods, if I try to make the mk1 command pod appear later in the tech tree, loading a custom tech tree seems to overide the techrequired setting I assign to it using module manager. I tried without TreeLoader and it worked.

Is there a way for me to have the mk1 pod moved in the tech tree using treeloader without making my own techtree? (Which isnt' available for the public right now. )

Thanks,

I know this might seem like a noobish question but is it possible on getting multiple tress into one tree. I ask this because I have multiple mods and they use one career tree at a time and it seems kind of stupid. I was thinking of a ultimate tech tree that uses Kethane, KW, Interstellar mod, etc. Any ideas if this is possible

That's not how trees work.

Trees control WHERE the nodes are.

The part.cfg files control WHICH nodes unlock which parts.

These custom trees just happen to do two things. First, they move some nodes around. Second, they override the values in (some) part.cfgs as to which node is required for that part.

How do you go about constructing your own tree from scratch for purely your own usage?

I have my own very firm ideas as to which tech should be made first. wheels, batteries, seat, some constructionals. Then wings, jet engines, liquid fuel, intakes, some more wheels. Strange goo only after getting into orbit, material experiments only after landing on Mun (or tech that allows each)

Struts early, large engines and large tanks very late. Solar panels after RTGs. Moar nodes

There is a TreeEditor (or whatever the actual name is), also by r4m0n, but it isn't public yet (because it isn't done or good enough yet). It will come in time.

You could go edit the tree config files yourself by hand, but that seems like it would be insanely error prone and tedious, I'd just wait...

I've got this installed via KSP Interstellar, and I'm unable to add parts from anything else. I'm trying to get MechJeb installed, but it fails to appear as a part. I've tried different settings for "TechRequired" - both Advanced Unmanned (advUnmanned - stock) and Automation (automation - KSPI tree), and I've got nothing. I've also tried adding the parts to the appropriate nodes in the tree.cfg attached to my save file, and still no-go. I'm seeing the same issue with other mods that add parts to the tree, such as B9.

Help?

I've got this installed via KSP Interstellar, and I'm unable to add parts from anything else. I'm trying to get MechJeb installed, but it fails to appear as a part. I've tried different settings for "TechRequired" - both Advanced Unmanned (advUnmanned - stock) and Automation (automation - KSPI tree), and I've got nothing. I've also tried adding the parts to the appropriate nodes in the tree.cfg attached to my save file, and still no-go. I'm seeing the same issue with other mods that add parts to the tree, such as B9.

Help?

From what I understand, some of the tech trees seem to nuke the tech tree prior to adding it's own elements, as well as rearranging the nodes. So even if you add lines in .cfg files. Once you do load tree, it might be overiding some of thos changes once the TreeLoader implements the tech tree.

I'm having a similar issue where I was tryng to use the Interstellar tech tree while modding the game to move the manned missions to later tech nodes. But for some reason if I'm using the tech tree, it keeps being 'forced back' into the start node.

Maybe mechjeb is already part of Interstellar tech tree but at a later node?

Also, which version are you using?

Edited by MedievalNerd

I am currently fine-tuning my own total tree-rework before release via TreeLoader. Currently includes stock parts and nodes only, so as long as the mod makers assign their parts to the stock nodes, they should appear (though the nodes containing them might now be at a totally different position in the tree).

Anyway, stay tuned for a major challenge: You start with a Cupola and some random stuff to build makeshift rovers. No rockets other than sepratrons and an ant engine, so you will have to explore beautiful Kerbin quite a bit with planes before beeing able to unlock the first solid rocket booster. In some areas, you get the large unwieldy parts first before refinements give you lighter/better fitting options. Ever built a micro rocket with the largest stack separator available or with the heavy Manifold radial decoupler? Good fun :-) Other challenges include very late Energy generation (robotic missions to Mun and Minmus on a tight energy budget, my last two flights only had some minutes energy remaining when they started the return burn, so it was "aim, deploy chutes and watch helplessly") and no signal transmission options until after exploration of the Mun.

I've gotten a tech tree hammered out which includes stock parts and mods (don't want to post an image just in case there's some rule against it) and I'm finding that several of my nodes are not loading their parent property when being loaded by Treeloader. This causes the nodes to appear unlocked, but unresearched as soon as a new game is started. No matter how many times I adjust the properties this error occurs with the same nodes repeatedly. As I have a large number of nodes and a spiderweb of child/parent lines I'm wondering if I might be overloading the Treeloader plugin or if this might be a different error. As my tree also doesn't follow the standard tree setup (T0, T1, T2) nor does every item in each tier cost the same this may also be posing an issue. Any insight would be welcome and screenshots available upon request.

After trying it I found frustration in not having some parts early enough and having to wait for parts I thought I should have at the start. Mans next invention after fire was the wheel then the wing, not the solid rocket booster and they basically had to make MJ in Rl to get to the moon although it cost a load... I need to make my own tree.

I`ll wait for the full version including editor before I reinstall I think.

I used r4m0ns TreeEdit to create a total Techtree rework to adress all of the issues i have with the stock Tree (mainly "way too easy" and "unlimited sending == returning"). It should be available next to Yargnits and Majiirs tree in the selection menu as soon as r4m0n promotes it. In this tree, you will need to explore Kerbins biomes via rovers and experimental planes before beeing able to unlock the first rockets. You will face meaningful decisions about your next advances, since you cannot simple unlock it all at once. Do you really need those ladders or lights? Or maybe save those valuable science points for more pressing limitations? Go for better rockets first? Or maybe invest in lighter probe cores and transmission technology? Or more science experiments? Or save it all up for energy sources? Your choice!

Features:

- Early Kerbin biome missions required to gather enough science for spaceflight technology

- Drone exploration as the only viable choice for early space missions due to the massive weight of the available pods.

- Large unwieldy parts come before more efficient designs

- generally about ~1-2 missions per technology, total unlocking cost about 29.000 science (not counting the empty "experimental" nodes from the stock tree)

- Spaceflight starts with the small SRB

- Late transmission elements (750 science). No suicidal missions early on.

- No energy generation until very late stages (2000 science). Interplanetary missions without energy sources other than rocket engines? Better pack some tons of batteries ;-)

The tree is balanced to be used with the following restrictions (ignore them if you like it easier):

- No crew reports from ladders of a landed vessel (generates the "flying-over-XY" report). If you want that report, you better build something that can hover.

- Dont use the airplane cockpits for spaceflight. Cupola, command pods and chairs only. Chairs are balanced since they cannot store experiments.

- No manned spaceflight mission to anywhere where you have not sent a probe first

This is a tech tree for anyone who likes a good challenge. It contains all the nodes of the stock tree, so if you use mods which have assigned their parts to these nodes, the parts will still appear somewhere along your journey. Use mod parts at your own will (balancing might be off).

Feedback welcome!

Edited by SirJodelstein
+ total unlocking cost, more detailed description

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.