3 launches!

-RanZ-

I just ran my first mission, not a lot of planning (well, no planning other than "lets go to the mun") and I'm sure more could be done in terms of both launch efficiency and data collection efficiency, but this is 247 science for the first visit to the launchpad, which completely unlocks three tiers above the starting tech. Given this, I would say fully unlocking everything (without picking and choosing what to unlock, just opening up everything in each tier available) could be done in maybe 2?

Edited by allmhuran

From http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/52517

"I watched Scott Manley's interview with Harvester video (it's on youtube, check it out), and in there Manley talks about Yargnit doing 4 missions to unlock the entire Tech Tree. Manley thinks he can do it in 3 missions. Now before you get all bent out of shape, Harvester had a REALLY good point. Advanced players shouldn't have to "grind" to get all the parts. If you can figure out ways to collect that much data in 3 missions, that's "super awesome". Players new to the game will spend more time designing and flying missions to gain science, while gaining much needed experience and personal knowledge of how to play the game."

i'd like to see a video, i mean i don't doubt he can but it'd require quite some feats of strength, cause going all over kerbin's SOI and their moons and surfaces, going to Duna's soi and ike's SOI, Eve's SOI and Gilly's SOI AND landing on gilly, i still haven't filled the tree

Another factor is that there will be an economy game as well in career mode and you will be looking at science per dollar in the early game and you wont be able to afford a gazillion boosters to get it. I am looking forward to this. Not sure how you will earn money though.

Keep in mind that at the time we did that interview, we had other values for the tech tree, and experiments awarded much more science than they do now. We then went through several revisions of the values, so while I can't say it's NOT possible (you never know what someone's going to be able to pull off), the set of values that generated that concern are now pretty different, so the whole discussion is probably moot now.

In any case, my original point still stands. If you can manage to pick up that much science in one mission, then you're probably not the sort of player who would benefit from having to discover each tech node one at a time, since in all likelihood you're quite familiar with the game already.

Cheers

Keep in mind that at the time we did that interview, we had other values for the tech tree, and experiments awarded much more science than they do now. We then went through several revisions of the values, so while I can't say it's NOT possible (you never know what someone's going to be able to pull off), the set of values that generated that concern are now pretty different, so the whole discussion is probably moot now.

In any case, my original point still stands. If you can manage to pick up that much science in one mission, then you're probably not the sort of player who would benefit from having to discover each tech node one at a time, since in all likelihood you're quite familiar with the game already.

Cheers

Just to follow, I'd have to class myself as intermediate KSP player and it's taken me a series of launches just to hit stable orbit in the early stages. As soon as I began to unlock some of the parts I regularly use of course my missions became more successful, however I was forced to try new things in the early stages which I perhaps missed because of the lack of introduction to KSP and it's multiple parts before .22 and secondly due to following the leader, and experimenting with what worked for others. This time I was forced to use my initiative a lot more despite being fairly accustomed to the game.

Not to mention if you're the sort of player who can pull off a grand tour your likely going to tear through most of the career mode anyway as you've probably already done most of the things you will get tasked with one day outside of features that currently aren't in the game, which we all will be accustomed to by the time the game reaches a full release anyway. Essentially we will always be ahead of the curve and the longer we play it the easier we will find each added feature that comes along the way.

The way science points are earned really needs to be looked at. It's too easy to exploit, it's too clumsy, and it feels like it's punishing you for not exploiting it. Being able to do like fifteen transmissions on moon rocks, and suddenly there's no point in bringing any back home?

The way science points are earned really needs to be looked at. It's too easy to exploit, it's too clumsy, and it feels like it's punishing you for not exploiting it. Being able to do like fifteen transmissions on moon rocks, and suddenly there's no point in bringing any back home?

You are only getting 20% of the science transmitting that you would bringing them back. However, the thermometer, barometer, gravimeter, and accelerometer should all transmit 100% rather than the 80% or whatever they do right now. They are just storing numbers, those should be able to be transmitted intact.

To unlock the tech tree fast, you must know what to do and what counts as separate science achievement in the first place. For instance I would never guess that low orbit and high orbit count as different places, to me it's all just space.

I don't think newbies will know all that unless someone writes them a guide, "build a rocket this way, fly it here and there, do this and that".

In the finished game it would be nice if the tech tree was giving you both list of already researched topics with completeness percentages (so you know where the research is not 100% done yet and how much is left) and suggestions what might be the next good topic to research.

i'd like to see a video, i mean i don't doubt he can but it'd require quite some feats of strength, cause going all over kerbin's SOI and their moons and surfaces, going to Duna's soi and ike's SOI, Eve's SOI and Gilly's SOI AND landing on gilly, i still haven't filled the tree

I've been to these places also, and I only have 3 things in the tree missing: ion drives and 2 final tier items.

I know I've left a lot of science hanging around too, I'm sure there is enough left to max out the tree.

I've taken about 6 launches for this, but I don't claim to be a pro either. I imagine you could do it by landing on the Mun and Minmus in the first flight, after setting up polar or near polar orbits (for all the eva reports). Get all the science stuff you can then head to Duna or Eve next.

I think that they are making a mistake making it too easy to get through the tech tree so fast. Maybe it will settle out when economics are added in.

If this was civ it would be like whipping through the entire tech tree before 1 AD and saying that's okay since they are expert players. If a player can go through it that fast it's pointless to even have career more. Perhaps a difficulty level needs to be added.

I think that they are making a mistake making it too easy to get through the tech tree so fast. Maybe it will settle out when economics are added in.

It won't. The tech tree is built and balanced in a way to introduce new players to the parts in the game (at least, that's how it's been advertised). Given that, and unless Squad changes their thinking on it, it will always be built and balanced to introduce. Adding an economy will not hamper an experienced player regarding the tech tree, it will hamper them in other ways.

Cheers

And we veterans did actually find a way to max the tech tree in two missions. But yeah, we're not really the target market for the tech tree. For us pros, the main appeal of the tech tree is to see how fast we can break it wide open. For the newer and less-skilled players, it acts as a genuine achievement to unlock nodes on it. Either way, everyone can get something out of it.

With Scott's first mission to Minmus and Mun, and second to Moho, Eve, Gilly, and Duna/Ike, I'm guessing the third mission will be Jool's moons and maybe Eeloo. I'm just wondering if I'll max the tree before or after visiting all the bodies...

As a KSP Noob i think i'll have to add my two cents about the new Career Mode. It gives me a lot of Motivation to try new things, and feel rewarded for ambitios (well for me anyway) Projects. I think it is not too easy. Maybe for you Veterans. I'm sure you don't have any trouble breezing through the Tech Tree. But that's ok. You shouldn't feel punished for knowing the Game. But for somebody like me, who just recently reached Duna (yes i am proud); first with a Probe, then a manned Mission, Career Mode is a welcome addition. But i have to agree i don't like the Spammy nature of it right now. To get the most Points of your Visit anywhere you have to send the Same Data Multiple Times. I'm sure they can do this a little bit better and more involved. Just recently somebody posted in the Forum something like "i cheated gave myself a million research points lololol". What is the Point of that? This defeats the purpose and you should stick to Sandbox Mode when you are going to cheat anyway.

PS: Oh and by the Way: I wanted to visit Eve, failed utterly and went to Jool instead. On the Way i realized the Rocket was in no Way equipped for such a long trip. Three Kerbals are now Orbiting Jool in a rather crooked Orbit and may never come back. FOR SCIENCE! A moment of Silence for these poor Individuals please.

PPS: Is there a Plan to "train" new Recruits? And/Or Leveling up some stats? Because right now, they aren't much more than Window-Dressing. I admit it is hilarious to pick the least brave Kerbal and watch him freak out. :)

Edited by Crowdpleaser

PPS: Is there a Plan to "train" new Recruits? And/Or Leveling up some stats? Because right now, they aren't much more than Window-Dressing. I admit it is hilarious to pick the least brave Kerbal and watch him freak out. :)

That's one of the long-standing plans for Career mode, yes. The Astronaut Complex was the first step in that process. We don't yet know what form the training will take, but there was talk at one time of being able to let the Kerbals themselves take control of the vessels if they were skilled enough (ie. a sort of loose autopilot; presumably they'd just execute maneuver nodes you set up).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.