Your least used part

lajoswinkler

Wait....that engine pylon is a DECOUPLER? Dang...I learn something new every day.

Yeah. It's intended purpose is presumably for use as drop tanks. The problem comes at the fact that the pylon is like half a meter high and fuel tankd are 1.25m diameter. There fore, it is impractical in its intended use.

I don't use RCS, in lieu of torque and engine gimballing. I don't use the LV-T30 (anymore), nor the Aerospike, nor the first radial decoupler (I use the one that is about 50kg lighter). I hardly use the 2m parts, or the seats (as you can't node mount them). Come to think of it, I hardly use any of the plane parts. Or the SAS.

I don't use RCS, in lieu of torque and engine gimballing. I don't use the LV-T30 (anymore), nor the Aerospike, nor the first radial decoupler (I use the one that is about 50kg lighter). I hardly use the 2m parts, or the seats (as you can't node mount them). Come to think of it, I hardly use any of the plane parts. Or the SAS.

You don't use RCS or reaction wheels (I doubt you turn off your SAS function)... how to you even... go around the space and stuff? :)

Probably this thing. Micronode.jpg

You don't use RCS or reaction wheels (I doubt you turn off your SAS function)... how to you even... go around the space and stuff? :)

I assume he isn't doing any docking. Other than that you don't need RCS, the capsules/probes all have their own reaction wheels.

Edited by Brofessional

I would have to say the Toroidal Aerospike Rocket. I assume if I liked making aircraft it would be useful. Maybe as I unlock more tech in career mode and try to explore more of the planet. But I don't even know how to fly aircraft with my keyboard so I can't see that happening anytime soon.

This is my new favorite part. The amount of science it gets you is insane!

The data you get is insane, but the science you get isn't; it just scales the data up 10 times greater than any of the default science parts do. You're only getting 20 science from that 200 data at best, and 24 science from lots of repeat experiments (times whatever the body's science multiplier happens to be, of course).

I didn't even remember that thing existed. There's no real use for it.

I've used it several times to get a perfect inline connection when adding a part after a jet engine. I've also used it for the cargo section on my interplanetary ship:

h8XPzS0.jpg

Although I haven't used the Rockomax multi adapter for anything lately.

I've used it several times to get a perfect inline connection when adding a part after a jet engine. I've also used it for the cargo section on my interplanetary ship:

Now that's an interesting design. What benefits does it have, versus something that just hooks on in the back and pushes?

I see many people never use or even dislike micro-stuff. Engines, cores and tanks. They're extremely efficient for tiny probes. Minmus, Gilly, Bop and Pol can be explored for hours using such setups, and you need a lot less huge rocket to throw your probe all the way to your target.

I see many people never use or even dislike micro-stuff. Engines, cores and tanks. They're extremely efficient for tiny probes. Minmus, Gilly, Bop and Pol can be explored for hours using such setups, and you need a lot less huge rocket to throw your probe all the way to your target.

Yeah, I agree. For a while I thought the inefficiency of the ant engines meant I should use the tiny Rockomax instead for its 350 vacuum Isp. However, using Engineer Redux, I found out it takes around 10 Oscar B fuel tanks before the greater efficiency of the Rockomax gives you more Delta V! The ant engine is so light that it makes up for it's inefficiency.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.