[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

I've been modifying the RealSolarSystem.cfg file to add in the Planet Factory planets and add more real planet textures. For some reason, a few of the planets are illuminated incorrectly. The day/night side is rotated 90 degrees from what it should be. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Also, is there anyway for me to change the scaled space meshes of the planets? Earth looks fine but some things, like Pol, don't really look all that good.

Don't see why it wouldn't, all that changed as far as I can tell are the orbit inclinations with respect to the sun. The planets should have the same inclinations relative to each other and the orbits haven't changed since they were already accurate.

Hmm yeah I guess it should work, but I just tested it out (and after resetting the epoch = 0) it is wildly inaccurate. Either I'm doing something wrong, or something else has changed.

Yes, I've put in height maps and color maps for as many planets as I could. Posted the thing a while back and it's for v6 pre so you'd need to change it for the newest. Also was for PlanetFactory as well. You can do it yourself if you want, all you need to do is add the same lines to new planets and it should load. You will have trouble finding height maps though, most planets haven't been mapped at all, let alone height maps.

To clarify, you'd only need to add the SSColor32 for color maps to load in cases where there aren't height maps available (all I found was Mars, Mercury and Venus).

Could you link me to these hight/colour maps? and give me just a slight bit more detail on this > "To clarify, you'd only need to add the SSColor32 for color maps to load in cases where there aren't height maps available (all I found was Mars, Mercury and Venus). " I want to make sure i do this correctly and honestly without more detailed instructions i may mess it up, another question is will this effect landing on said planets negatively?

If you can link me and give me the detailed how to i will complete the edits and share the files with everyone, keep in mind that i am mostly a laymen when it comes to the code, i generally only edit as instructed or when brave and very confidant i understand what i'm editing.

Edit: Ok found your files, the TR skybox i understand 100%,

i think i understand the BoulderCo cloudlayer.cfg file, atleast i can see where they have changed things between versions

The example below seems an addition not included in your version:

DEFAULTS

{

body = Laythe

altitude = 6000

volume = True

color

{

r = 0.4

g = 0.4

b = 0.6

a = 1

}

if i do not alter the new bit of code you dont have in your file, but swap (laythe for example) the "file = BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/kerbin1" to "file = BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/Neptune1" i believe that would be correct, but would like you to confirm that before i start to make blind edits.

Now the RealSolarSystem.cfg, that scares me a little. I assume that your file isnt RSS v6 safe? this is where i may need a touch of hand holding to explain it, seeing as its much like your post about changing the moon, which i was able to do fairly easily, what lines do i need to copy fron your cfg and paste into the current cfg? would it be from the "SSColor32" line to the triple "}" for each body?

Sorry if this is alot to ask, still learning how these cfg files are put together. feel free to PM me if need be (like if your reply would be a text wall)

note i dont use planet factory, if this will cause issues... I am unsure exactly what will be considered official when Nathan releases all the planets/moons/bodies (if he plans on adding them all) but i would really like the planets to look like what they represent, if its as simple as a few lines of text and some png files

Edit 2: i attempted to try this on my own with poor results, lol, the new moon works fine though. I think waiting on official releases may be safer for me when it comes to RSS, the setup is too easy to ruin without me really understanding it better. My major concerns were mercury, venus and mars... they are sure to be the next planets completed so waiting for them shouldnt take too long and will be my best bet i think

Edited by Guest

yes. We could have taken it even higher but it affects putting your craft on rails. (i.e. no non-physics timewarps)

I've tried it with pressure curve data that models the atmosphere all the way to ISS altitudes. Definitely an interesting experience.

Incidentally, this particular set of data uses NASA's atmosphere model here: Earth Atmosphere Model (metric units)

So although we still have an arbitrary cut off point (necessary) this is about as close as you're going to get.

Edit: One caveat: Other mods still assume a cutoff of scaleHeight * 1e-6. MechJeb for example will assume the max atmosphere altitude is lower than it really is. I've opened an issue on the MJ2 github site with a couple of suggestions for handling it.

I think the new higher atmo is great. For me it adds to the feeling of how big real Earth is. However, IMO don't raise it higher. The tradeoff with reentry taking more time is a problem. Let's hope one day there's orbital decay and timewarp. I wish I knew how to program darn it.

I think the new higher atmo is great. For me it adds to the feeling of how big real Earth is. However, IMO don't raise it higher. The tradeoff with reentry taking more time is a problem. Let's hope one day there's orbital decay and timewarp. I wish I knew how to program darn it.

Orbit Manipulator simulates atmospheric decay, even if the craft is on rails.

The OP states a lack of texture changes except for the Earth and the Moon, does this imply that the other planets' and moons' textures remain exactly the same?

IE the Saturn shown is simply a prototype? Or a confirmed feature?

The OP states a lack of texture changes except for the Earth and the Moon, does this imply that the other planets' and moons' textures remain exactly the same?

IE the Saturn shown is simply a prototype? Or a confirmed feature?

^ i was wondering this also, my assumption is that they are being done with stock planets used as stand ins until they are released. but an official answer would clear up any misunderstanding

Regarding the atmosphere: Starwaster was going to stretch it to 250km, but I asked for 180 so that satellites in the reference 100nm (~185km) orbit could be on rails.

Aazard: AndreyATGB has a pack up. Which I kinda forgot about (sorry!) over my long absence. Integrating.

Thus far, only a custom biome for Earth.

ThorBeorn, dlrk: the 10x Kerbin rescale is what you want.

For you (and anyone else) who is using that cfg, though, open it and find

PQSCity
{
KEYname = KSC
repositionRadial = 158200.0, -220.0, -570000.0
lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
}

and replace it with

PQSCity
{
KEYname = KSC
repositionRadial = 158200.0, -220.0, -570000.0
lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
}
PQSMod_MapDecalTangent
{
radius = 75000
}

sovereign: this is because for some reason Unity wants an RGBA normal map (unless I'm assigning it wrong!). Check out Earth_NRM to see the format. Re: scaled space, meshes are now (or should be) perfectly wrapped to PQS. For Pol, sounds like the PQS needs to be edited.

Scripto23: Sounds like a rewrite is in order, since most of the orbital params changed. (Sorry, AbeS!)

brooklyn666: yup. Haven't changed the name, though, since that'll break tons of stuff.

Skyler4856, Aazard: That's metaphor's pack. I'll try integrating it and AndreyATGB's, although I'm not touching PF yet.

Is there an option to keep the current Kerbin texture (NOT the stock Kerbol system 10x rescale). I'm staunchly in favor of all things realism, up until this point. It just feels too weird to me to launch a bunch of little bug eyed greed dudes from the cape. Unless Redoing kerbals themselves is planned?

Is there an option to keep the current Kerbin texture (NOT the stock Kerbol system 10x rescale). I'm staunchly in favor of all things realism, up until this point. It just feels too weird to me to launch a bunch of little bug eyed greed dudes from the cape. Unless Redoing kerbals themselves is planned?

Delete the extra texture files.... I think they are in pluginData? If not root around for them and delete them.

However, you will also have to edit RealSolarSystem.cfg and comment out any lines that refer to those texture files. (just search for png)

So I've re-scaled the latest version to 64% so now I have a Kerbal Sized Real Solar System! I'm working on a standard re-scale factor for my parts on a fuel / thrust ratio so that I can blanket change the configs. I'm using Bobcats Soyuz as a test rig. Almost have achieved orbit which is around 6km/s :)

brooklyn666: The latter. It's not super-high on my list (I'm rather hoping someone else gets there first--at one point I heard BobCat was working on it) but I certainly plan to go full-real.

Motokid600: they're what control planet terrain.

is an overview from Mu (skip to after Harv talks). Edited by NathanKell

Regarding the atmosphere: Starwaster was going to stretch it to 250km, but I asked for 180 so that satellites in the reference 100nm (~185km) orbit could be on rails.

Aazard: AndreyATGB has a pack up. Which I kinda forgot about (sorry!) over my long absence. Integrating.

Thus far, only a custom biome for Earth.

Skyler4856, Aazard: That's metaphor's pack. I'll try integrating it and AndreyATGB's, although I'm not touching PF yet.

Awesome! i cant wait to see the planets redone, the new earth and moon are wonderful, having the rest done would be "out of this world"! thanks to everyone adding to the effort!

No, it's not going any higher, though anyone could replace or modify the pressure curve data if they wanted to customize their personal files. (but never forget to terminate the curve with a 0 pressure key or you'll experience atmosphere all the way out to SOI edge :P)

Aazard, here's the pack I did for v6 pre. It is for PlanetFactory but you can apply the stuff for stock RSS. I would advice against using the config there since there's been changes between the pre-release and the final. Look there and compare it to the normal one to better see what I mean about SSColor for example. I'll try to explain if you have more specific questions but I've stopped working on it before I tuned map deformity and all that stuff which deals with how tall the terrain from the height map should be. There are some other settings I haven't changed so the terrain likely differs from real-life.

SpacedInvader: ridged altitude curves are what you should use to make slopes into cliffs.

For the moon, AndreyATGB posted those files; they should help. And yes, a lot of the issue is that Squad planets have nearly the same max elevation as do real-size planets, but real-size planets are ~10x larger--indeed they will look different.

Minimus doesn't have a heightmap IIRC, and the PQSMods are probably different. So just copying over the PQSMod nodes probably won't work...I need to get the generic PQSMod config loader from krag working.

Motokid600: they're what control planet terrain.
is an overview from Mu (skip to after Harv talks).

I'm really looking forward to seeing that loader up and running as at this point, this issue is the only thing keeping me from using RSS in my main install. It may be a little picky, but even with all of the difficulty mods in place (RSS, RO, Igniter, RT2, etc., etc.) I was already going for Mun / Minmus landings after only a few days of gameplay and, while the challenge of designing something viable to get there and back is great, I really want something worth seeing to be there when I land.

On a separate note, while watching Felipe talk about the Krakens in that video, it occurred to me that the jitter he was describing looked very similar to what you see while landed on a planet. Based on the solution, I'm starting to wonder if scaling up the CB's for RSS might have extended the distance from the scene origin, resulting in the jitter?

I've been modifying the RealSolarSystem.cfg file to add in the Planet Factory planets and add more real planet textures. For some reason, a few of the planets are illuminated incorrectly. The day/night side is rotated 90 degrees from what it should be. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Also, is there anyway for me to change the scaled space meshes of the planets? Earth looks fine but some things, like Pol, don't really look all that good.

yea, i have such bug with Moon. can anyone help us?