[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Sorry if been asked before looked over some of them form but didn't see anything about it but does anyone have cityLights for this mod ?

Edit mean the lights are in the wrong place.

Edit thanks NathanKell .

Edited by Mecripp2

SpacedInvader: MonoBehaviors are actually Unity things; scripts you can add to gameobjects (as components) or call independently. (Well, I am not a Unity expert. I think that's correct. https://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/MonoBehaviour.html )

I haven't messed with AltitudeAlpha, but Starwaster may be right that that's what to change.

Subcidal: if you use the pack for PlanetFactory, then yes. And with Texture Replacer it will fix that too IIRC.

braininator: for the background, you need Texture Replacer to replace the skybox. For the sun, don't think anyone's doing that yet.

Starwaster: a warning about ocatve. That's how many levels of noise the PQSMod calculates. You *can* slow things down by increasing it. lacunarity is *very* subtle, yes.

And yeah, practicing editing those mods on a flat planet would be useful, or rather on a heightmap with simple height changes--since many of them are *filters* in the way Gaussian Blur, or Unsharp Mask, or whatever are: they increase sharpness of slopes, that sort of thing. So a completely flat terrain might be counter-productive for testing them, i.e. make them do nothing.

I think Minmus has a special "flatten if below 0 height" PQSMod (check the dumps) but Duna doesn't....

SpacedInvader: sounds like Duna has some PQSMods that RSS doesn't edit yet, and they're messing with the heightmap. +1 again for generic loader.

MeCripp: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7cuxthv9v5c66a/main.tga

Replace your existing citylights main.tga with this.

@NathanKell: I've been using the in-game editor by Kcreator which can edit all of the PQS values even if I can't transfer them into the RSS.cfg. Even with authority over all of the mods like that, I can't get rid of whats washing out relatively steep slopes, but then keeping much less drastic craters.

EDIT: Here's a stupid question... do the heightmap pngs need to be interlaced?

Edited by SpacedInvader

Found it!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

So it was completely in the wrong longitude and that's why I couldn't find it... It's supposed to be at 72.5°W 5°S, but I found it at 162°E. It's definitely flipped horizontally, but I'm not sure if there is also an issue with my MOLA export settings that might have shifted its position even more. Will let you know what I find, but for now, suffice it to say that I think this version of the map really only needs some fine tuning of the noise to make it look nicer and more realistic.

EDIT: For the record, those pictures are taken with all stock PQS in place.

Edited by SpacedInvader

About replacing the sun. The sun flare can be changed at least. Check the universe replacer thread for more info. Installation is a tad more complicated than just dropping files into your gamedata folder, but very doable.

Universe Replacer thread (scroll all the way down): http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/44135-0-22-Universe-Replacer-v4-0/page164

And: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/44135-0-22-Universe-Replacer-v4-0/page38?p=577857&viewfull=1#post577857

However, while these look beautiful in stock KSP, I find that they are a bit too small for RSS. I still use one of them though - it's too pretty.

Nevermind, I'm doing it tonight...

Just copy and paste this code into your RealSolarSystem.cfg file

PQS
{
Duna
{
maxLevel = 14
maxQuadLenghtsPerFrame = 0.8 //0.03 -- and yes, typo is correct.
PQSMod_VertexHeightMap // doubles
{
heightMapOffset = 0.0 //-2000.0
heightMapDeformity = 29457.0 //15600.0 //7000 // 5000
heightMap = GameData/RealSolarSystem/Plugins/PluginData/MarsHeight.png
}
}

}

And then place this file in your GameData/RealSolarSystem/Plugins/PluginData directory.

You know, all this tinkering with Mars has made me want to go back and read Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy again after nearly 20 years... I guess we aren't really done yet, though, considering we still have to figure out some nice noise settings, new ground textures / coloration, and a scaled space mesh. And then we have the rest of the solar system to figure out...

Figured I'd share this, Custom Biomes map for RSS. It's not perfect but it's better than... well kerbins biome map. Somebody else had already made one but I didn't like how he did it so I made my own version.

http://www./view/6t4i72f6z73j6fp/KERBIN.att

http://www./view/8jsah8h3jfj8n6u/KERBIN.png

Bugs - The coastlines aren't perfect, Sometimes shore extends out further than it should, sometimes water extends in further than it should. Also you get a brief moment of being in Tundra biome when transitioning between shore/grassland. Has to do with the color used for shorelines, If anybody knows a way to fix that I'd be more than willing to hear it. I think if you got the right color it would fix it. Just have some restraint and don't abuse it, Or do abuse it honestly I don't care, lol.

The biomes are for the most part fairly accurate, Figured I'd save you guys from a few hours of staring at pixels.

Edit : Since i overlooked this, the biome names in the KERBIN.att file aren't how they display in KSP. They will display the correct information. You won't see North pole, South pole or anything. The only reason their labeled that way is because the original person who created the map that i built mine off was using the colors for those regions. I assume he labeled them North pole, south pole and whatnot for his own reference. It has no actual effect on the biome names in KSP. This was actually one of the biggest reasons that I set out to make my own version.

Light green - Grasslands

Dark green - Highlands

Yellow - Desert

Red - Mountains

Black - Badlands

White - Icecap

Teal - Tundra

Blue - Water (Shocker there eh)

Purple - Shores

Edited by Subcidal

Found it!

http://imgur.com/a/8LjE9#0

So it was completely in the wrong longitude and that's why I couldn't find it... It's supposed to be at 72.5°W 5°S, but I found it at 162°E. It's definitely flipped horizontally, but I'm not sure if there is also an issue with my MOLA export settings that might have shifted its position even more. Will let you know what I find, but for now, suffice it to say that I think this version of the map really only needs some fine tuning of the noise to make it look nicer and more realistic.

EDIT: For the record, those pictures are taken with all stock PQS in place.

Well you know us guys.... never stopping to ask for directions :(

Well you know us guys.... never stopping to ask for directions :(

You know, the funny / sad thing, is that I actually looked for it at both 180° off location (0° central meridian instead of 180°) AND 90° in the wrong direction (as if it were just flipped horizontally), but didn't even think to look on the fourth compass point... I was really starting to get seriously frustrated at the game's apparent inability to do what I wanted it to do, and all along the problem was firmly sitting between the chair and the keyboard. :P

Anyway, tonight I'm going to produce a practice heightmap with various slopes and simple terrain features so I can start getting a better handle on the PQS functions. I'll share it here of course and maybe we can start putting together some documentation for the PQS system for the community...

Figured I'd share this, Custom Biomes map for RSS. It's not perfect but it's better than... well kerbins biome map. Somebody else had already made one but I didn't like how he did it so I made my own version.

http://www./view/6t4i72f6z73j6fp/KERBIN.att

http://www./view/8jsah8h3jfj8n6u/KERBIN.png

Bugs - The coastlines aren't perfect, Sometimes shore extends out further than it should, sometimes water extends in further than it should. Also you get a brief moment of being in Tundra biome when transitioning between shore/grassland. Has to do with the color used for shorelines, If anybody knows a way to fix that I'd be more than willing to hear it. I think if you got the right color it would fix it. Just have some restraint and don't abuse it, Or do abuse it honestly I don't care, lol.

The biomes are for the most part fairly accurate, Figured I'd save you guys from a few hours of staring at pixels.

In file from link i see the list below (no shores, deserts or tundra seem present) please let me know if i am not understanding this correctly

Grasslands

Lowlands

Highlands

Mountains

Badlands

North Pole

South Pole

Water

You know, the funny / sad thing, is that I actually looked for it at both 180° off location (0° central meridian instead of 180°) AND 90° in the wrong direction (as if it were just flipped horizontally), but didn't even think to look on the fourth compass point... I was really starting to get seriously frustrated at the game's apparent inability to do what I wanted it to do, and all along the problem was firmly sitting between the chair and the keyboard. :P

Anyway, tonight I'm going to produce a practice heightmap with various slopes and simple terrain features so I can start getting a better handle on the PQS functions. I'll share it here of course and maybe we can start putting together some documentation for the PQS system for the community...

If it's an ID-10-T problem, try giving it a firm whack in the control module.

In file from link i see the list below (no shores, deserts or tundra seem present) please let me know if i am not understanding this correctly

Grasslands

Lowlands

Highlands

Mountains

Badlands

North Pole

South Pole

Water

The names in that file were how the original person was using the colors, I suppose for his own reference. In KSP The biomes will display the correct information, You won't see south pole, north pole, etc. Even with the original version that i altered KSP would display the South pole color as Shores. I'm not sure if you can actually change the biomes names at all.

Long story short, All thats important in that file is the color codes, The titles are pointless.

Edit : For reference::

Light green - Grasslands

Dark green - Highlands

Yellow - Desert

Red - Mountains

Black - Badlands

White - Icecap

Teal - Tundra

Blue - Water (Shocker there eh)

Purple - Shores

Edited by Subcidal

I'm wondering if someone cen help me fix this annoying bug I am having. I have the full RSS and RO packs including all of the required mods installed. I just started a new game and for some reason the altitude for space is now closer to 200k then 100k. When I try and do science even at 150k it shows as upper atmosphere. I'm not even sure where to start looking for how to fix this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm wondering if someone cen help me fix this annoying bug I am having. I have the full RSS and RO packs including all of the required mods installed. I just started a new game and for some reason the altitude for space is now closer to 200k then 100k. When I try and do science even at 150k it shows as upper atmosphere. I'm not even sure where to start looking for how to fix this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

It's the new version of RSS. Space starts at 180 KM IIRC. I believe the point is to simulate the very thin layer of atmosphere outside the 100km mark. Though I'm unsure if this layer of atmosphere between the Karman (sp?) line and 180 KM actually produces drag or not. As for "fixing" it i don't know. Personally it doesn't bother me much but I can see how it could cause problems.

It would be nice if we could have the best of both worlds and have a thin layer of atmosphere where he's placed it but still have it report as being in space.

Edited by Subcidal

awesome biome maps! Subcidal thanks for the effort, nice to have the 9 original biomes again!

NP, Thanks for pointing out the .att mis-naming. I'm sure that would have confused quite a few people had you not pointed it out so I could explain it. Enjoy the biome maps =D

Thanks for the info, I figured I just had some mod duplicating it's information again and causing problems. I don't believe it causes drag at anything above 100k. I'm still suborbital in this save, but during the ascent my apoapsis stayed the same after that barrier.

Thanks for the info, I figured I just had some mod duplicating it's information again and causing problems. I don't believe it causes drag at anything above 100k. I'm still suborbital in this save, but during the ascent my apoapsis stayed the same after that barrier.

It causes drag anywhere below 180km.

If you have mods that report drag, they will likely report 0 drag and pressure because of rounding. I think FAR has enough precision to show accurate drag if you have the right window open, but at those altitudes it's pretty miniscule and would likely take days or months (real time) before you you need to take corrective action.

Remember, this is Real Solar System. In actuality you would have drag to almost 4 times that distance but it's too miniscule a thing to be keeping you from going off-rails over, so the cutoff was put at 180. (I actually had it a little higher than that originally but Nathan asked for a 180 cap so that you could do non-phys warps at 185. (which was the official parking orbit for the moon missions)

catas4trophy: since in real life Earth's atmosphere extends out to 10,000km (and causes drag all that way out--although imperceptible over short timeframes), I figured at least extending it to 180km would be ok. And yes, ingame you *do* get drag all the way out to 180km, although it might take a week for you to deorbit at that height.

I believe MedievalNerd's RPL experiments plugin will allow setting situation as desired; also, once eggrobin's Principia is done atmospheric height might shrink again by a bit (since it will handle on-rails drag); the idea is to place KSP's atmsopheric height at such a point that an interplanetary craft (i.e. 15km/sec or so) will still experience only 1Pa of dynamic pressure at that height, as otherwise you'll hit a "wall" going from Q=0 to Q=lots and bad things will happen.

SpacedInvader: great work with that heightmap!

Nevermind, I'm doing it tonight...

Just copy and paste this code into your RealSolarSystem.cfg file

PQS
{
Duna
{
maxLevel = 14
maxQuadLenghtsPerFrame = 0.8 //0.03 -- and yes, typo is correct.
PQSMod_VertexHeightMap // doubles
{
heightMapOffset = 0.0 //-2000.0
heightMapDeformity = 29457.0 //15600.0 //7000 // 5000
heightMap = GameData/RealSolarSystem/Plugins/PluginData/MarsHeight.png
}
}

}

And then place this file in your GameData/RealSolarSystem/Plugins/PluginData directory.

You know, all this tinkering with Mars has made me want to go back and read Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy again after nearly 20 years... I guess we aren't really done yet, though, considering we still have to figure out some nice noise settings, new ground textures / coloration, and a scaled space mesh. And then we have the rest of the solar system to figure out...

Nice work!

Fit for public consumption, or still in testing?

could somboday give me a tip to resolve my issue here, i just did dl the mod, and when i am launching the game, well all the mission conrtol center is underneath the ground, and if i try to launche a rocket its on grass tilted in a weird angle of like 5-10 degrees, so if any1 got any idea what might causes this, thx in advance

Shukinen: please don't both post and PM. I do read the forum, as do others, and we'll get to your issue.

As I said there, have you installed RSS exactly as directed in the readme? Have you installed all required mods?