[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

SpacedInvader: I'm not suggesting *using* replica rockets; I'm just saying use the VAB as a calculator to figure out what the dV apportionment (and TWR range is on real rockets. It's more fun than doing natural logs on paper or in Excel!

2000m/s should be plenty, even including DOI burn. What kind of descent orbit insertion burn are you doing!? You should only lower your periselene from LLO of ~100km to about 3km (so you now have a 100x3km orbit) and then do a "reverse gravity turn" burning mostly retrograde the whole way in. That kind of DOI should *not* be very expensive at all.

Well that could be part of my problem. Part of my mission profile is to leave a stage with comms relay equipment in high orbit (2500km) so that's where I'm starting my descent from. I guess it shouldn't surprise me that I've got to have more DV when falling from that much higher of an altitude.

The EVE Overhaul looks much better and you don't have to change the altitude yourself. However it seems to conflict with RSS at the moment. So as far as I know, there's nothing you can do for the official version of EVE.

I tried to get rid of the white and it is possible by using atmosphere from ground in the RSS config but that produces some weird multicolored bands visible from orbit. I think overhaul is also going to fix this issue when it is released, rbray mentioned he wants to get rid of the white horizon.

To expand on atmosphere from ground, you can use the wavelengths from better atmospheres and write them in your RSS install. Remove the foo from AtmosphereFromGround and it'll work.

The best way to get rid of (or lower, you dont want to lose it entirely) is to adjust the innerRadius IIRC (rather than mucking with the wavelengths, but you can tweak those in addition for a more subtle look)I forget if the innerRadius variable is exposed in the config or not.

Edited by Starwaster

Yes but if you mess with radii then you get more black sky when you look straight up. I really wish there was a way to make atmospheres real, even on super thick atmospheres you can see black when you look up whereas on Earth you'd need to be quite a few km up, I imagine 15-20km to see the black of space.

Also, alt-G in game? That will save me so much time, no more restarting the game every 20 seconds.

Yes but if you mess with radii then you get more black sky when you look straight up

It shouldnt unless you're setting it to something weird. Or changing something other than what I said. (i did say innerRadius; it's singular not plural so if you're setting something other than what I said, or more than one item...)

Edited by Starwaster

Help me, please.

I deleted all mods, downloaded and installed again. But i have problem with size of Kerbal(Earth). Even if I leave only one RSS mod, I have this problem. I tested with version 6.1 and then version 6.4 and do not understand what I'm doing wrong ((

Size of my planet is really small, and KSP placed underground.

http://prntscr.com/3ofhb9

Any ideas what this could be?

Help me, please.

I deleted all mods, downloaded and installed again. But i have problem with size of Kerbal(Earth). Even if I leave only one RSS mod, I have this problem. I tested with version 6.1 and then version 6.4 and do not understand what I'm doing wrong ((

Size of my planet is really small, and KSP placed underground.

http://prntscr.com/3ofhb9

Any ideas what this could be?

Dude.. Search this thread for underground and in 5 seconds you'll find 20+ posts concerning this issue and how to fix it. EDIT: If you earth is small/standard kerbin it's still probably a memory issue or bad install, I has 6.2r4 running on mine with many addition mods too, unless you have pretty poor system specs or running a mac, I'd say bad install, check and re check you've extracted RSS right.

Nathan: I can confirm that the launch site selection problem was purely a result of trying to run overhaul 9, after rolling back to 8 the new GUI all showed :) Also just landed on the Moon for first time since recent updates, getting some z fighting'ish issues on the ground, not sure if it is that exactly though, the ground texture rapidly switches from left to right by about 1/2 a foot several times per second, the physical ground is stable though?

Also even on O8 I can't get any clouds, the EVE GUI shows but no clouds and no city lights :/

Oh and sorry one other thing, was looking through you github AFG instructions, all I want is to remove some of the 'whitness' I've gone into the rssconfig and removes foo from afg node, which of these three values could I change to simply reduce brightness and lower apparent atmo hight from low orbit?

AtmosphereFromGround
{
outerRadiusMult = 1.04
tranformScale = 1.04
innerRadiusMult = 0.975
}

Edited by pingopete

Dude.. Search this thread for underground and in 5 seconds you'll find 20+ posts concerning this issue and how to fix it. EDIT: If you earth is small/standard kerbin it's still probably a memory issue or bad install, I has 6.2r4 running on mine with many addition mods too, unless you have pretty poor system specs or running a mac, I'd say bad install, check and re check you've extracted RSS right.

Nathan: I can confirm that the launch site selection problem was purely a result of trying to run overhaul 9, after rolling back to 8 the new GUI all showed :) Also just landed on the Moon for first time since recent updates, getting some z fighting'ish issues on the ground, not sure if it is that exactly though, the ground texture rapidly switches from left to right by about 1/2 a foot several times per second, the physical ground is stable though?

Also even on O8 I can't get any clouds, the EVE GUI shows but no clouds and no city lights :/

Oh and sorry one other thing, was looking through you github AFG instructions, all I want is to remove some of the 'whitness' I've gone into the rssconfig and removes foo from afg node, which of these three values could I change to simply reduce brightness and lower apparent atmo hight from low orbit?

AtmosphereFromGround
{
outerRadiusMult = 1.04
tranformScale = 1.04
innerRadiusMult = 0.975
}

Ok in my infinate ignorance I posted before testing, after retrying I got O8 to run sorry. However I not sure editing ATG is my speciality:

z27Hfh1.jpg

Changing the node to get atmos hight from world atmos hight placed it about 300000m below the surface? I guess I'll just stick to adjusting the atmosMult value lol

Also O8 seems to have removes the grey oceans? ha don't really get this it seems different things happen with every launch :P

Edited by pingopete

Ok it looks like a lot of guys are working on making EVE functioning and nice looking together with RSS. Great to see. I'll just wait for the results then...:)

Pingopete: Ignore my P.M. I think I got the answer.

I can't use AFG node without the ingame world having black skies/ no atmosphere, weirdly, the space centre menu initially has atmosphere, but when I launch or go to craft the skies are black and there is only an atmosphere below ground. This happens when I remove foo from the node :/

WEociLh.jpg

Atmosphere only visible on opposite side of surface and off set by around 300 km underground?? Even more weirdly there is always a cloud layer underground as well as the normal one above ground???!!?

That's from radius settings. You need inner radius at least the size of the planet 6371km.

I'm such an idiot I didn't even add the values stated in the instructions :blush:

so something like this?:

AtmosphereFromGround
{
outerRadiusAtmo = true (so it ends at actual atmo height)?
tranformScale = 1.04
innerRadiusMult = 6971000 (so it starts at ground level i.e. earths surface radius)?
}

Because this is still giving me no atmosphere at all.

Edited by pingopete

hmm... thanks guys :)

When i searched problem, i saw this: http://prntscr.com/3onc1m don't know, is critical or not

AndreyATGB Kerbin radius already as 6371km in info from space center and in file http://prntscr.com/3ondt5

when i changed settings of Graphic i can see sky, but terrain on KSC is wavy http://prntscr.com/3onil1 and planet is small http://prntscr.com/3ongja

Assassin: This is for something else. I think I've figured out what you've missed; don't change the rss settings. instal rss 6.1 then overwrite with 6.2r4, I don't think all the files were in the latest dev version.

I'm such an idiot I didn't even add the values stated in the instructions :blush:

so something like this?:

AtmosphereFromGround
{
outerRadiusAtmo = true (so it ends at actual atmo height)?
tranformScale = 1.04
innerRadiusMult = 6971000 (so it starts at ground level i.e. earths surface radius)?
}

Because this is still giving me no atmosphere at all.

innerRadiusMult???? And of 6971000. Do you see the 'mult' at the end of that? It's short for multiplier. You could use that instead of innerRadius (which is what I said, not innerRadiusMult) but you just increased the inner radius of the atmospheric shell by 6.791 million. No wonder you have no atmo visible. that's not any sort of physical inner shell, it just controls where to put the beginning of the texture gradient.

to reduce the white you want to move where it originates under the horizon. So you do not want it increased you want it decreased. So that means a multiplier of less than 1 (start with innerRadiusMult = 0.99 or assign innerRadius = (planet radius - (number of meters under the horizon the atmospheric band texture should originate)

innerRadiusMult???? And of 6971000. Do you see the 'mult' at the end of that? It's short for multiplier. You could use that instead of innerRadius (which is what I said, not innerRadiusMult) but you just increased the inner radius of the atmospheric shell by 6.791 million. No wonder you have no atmo visible. that's not any sort of physical inner shell, it just controls where to put the beginning of the texture gradient.

to reduce the white you want to move where it originates under the horizon. So you do not want it increased you want it decreased. So that means a multiplier of less than 1 (start with innerRadiusMult = 0.99 or assign innerRadius = (planet radius - (number of meters under the horizon the atmospheric band texture should originate)

Yeah it was a typo I meant just innerRadius = 6971000 so as to start the gradient from sea level. I've tested this on both 6.2pre4 and a stock ksp/rss6.2-4 and 6.1 install and found that it doesn't work properly on the latest dev but does on 6.1. I got it doing what I want on 6.1 and in the latest dev( though but only visible from ksc menu in 6.2) it then disapears when I go to launch. This doesn't happen in 6.1.

Assassin: This is for something else. I think I've figured out what you've missed; don't change the rss settings. instal rss 6.1 then overwrite with 6.2r4, I don't think all the files were in the latest dev version.

Yes, you are right, when I install version 6.4 on already installed 6.1, the size of the planet is correct. Thank you very much!!!

Edited by Assassin215k

Assassin215k: that's 6.2pre4, a prerelease. It did not include all files. Here is the official v6.2 release. Grab from main post.

Changelog

v6.2 \/

*PQS->ScaledSpace wrapping now works and caches correctly. Wrap now defaults to false for backwards compatibility. RSS will export obj files (with extra lines using keyword t for vertex tangents) for all wrapped meshes, and import them (if they exist) instead of wrapping. NOTE: If you change any PQS settings (let alone changing RSS configs!) you MUST delete all .obj files in GameData/RealSolarSystem/PluginData! NOTE 2: If you don't already have cached meshes, and/or you delete them all, KSP WILL APPEAR TO HANG on the "Loading..." screen right before Main Menu. This is NORMAL. Let it run. It takes me about 15 minutes. After that, you'll get your usual load times.

*regex: fixed Space Center initial camera height (for when camera is under terrain)

*tons of launch sites from eggrobin!

*regex: fixes for KSCSwitcher; new icon; now saves and loads selected KSC location with your persistence file; shows descriptions; icons hidden on zoomout; can click to set map to focus on selected location.

*Update to ModuleManager 2.1.5

*tweaked Earth's horizon glow a bit

IF YOU ARE NOT USING THE DEFAULT RSS CONFIG you must delete all OBJ files in GameData/RealSolarSystem/Plugins/PluginData before launching with the new config. Further, KSP will take an extra 15-20 minutes to load the first time while it regenerates models. This is normal. After that, subsequent launches of KSP will be fast..

Apologies, there was an oversight in the upload. It has now been fixed.

hEcOdCo.png

Was just about to post this and ask about it. I assume that this is the issue that you found and fixed. Thanks for all the work Nathan. If this persists will report back.

Looks a lot like you're missing the Earth height map. Bad install maybe?

I assume it was the issue that Nathan fixed from the initial release of 6.2. When I updated to his corrected version, the issue was no longer present, so all looks great.

I have been trying to make a different version of the solar system, using RSS to move planets around, and this keeps happening: I get things in orbit, everything goes as planned, I close KSP, re-open KSP, and suddenly everything is around the sun.

It looks like it might be caused by the vessels loading before RSS moves planets around, thereby moving them out of orbit, but I am not sure.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Here is my RSS config, incase I really messed something up there.

http://pastebin.com/0cdBUAHj