[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

10M x timewarp, nice. Wasn't there a mod for that around at some point, I vaguely recall?

yes, it was called dynamic warp. i really hope Nathan is making something like it because waiting 30 irl minutes for 1yr in game is a lot.

I'm having hard time with the joints between stages. Tried adding struts, they hold but the decoupler fails. Any tips for interstages?

Use heavy struts from KW Rocketry pack, strut stages to each other, and strut decoupler to the lower stage. Like this:

AJIs4UY.png

It's rock solid!

hi Nathan, thanks again for the great work.

I was trying aircraft earlier and few days ago too and I noticed a sheer change in the behaviour of intakes. I dont know if it's because of the rescale, that intakes now are super-inefficient, just like if they were at very high altitudes, and therefore engines now require multiple intakes, not just one. Even with the all-in-one engines from B9, which used to be self-sufficient. Now you have to go crazy with intakes. I was wondering (if it's caused by your mod) if there is a work-around, maybe? Im gonna try changing config for the intakes, maybe intake speed or area, see if that works.

Any ideas, anyone?

Nathan - I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question. But does the game hold the possibility to make a 50% scale Saturn? I just assumed full-scale Saturn would be too large, and if 1/2-scale were possible we could maybe make a Jupiter, Uranus, Neptune, and Saturn. I'm also imaging how amazing it would be hop between the best moons of Jupiter (Europa, Io, and Ganymede, Callisto), and Saturn's (Enceladus, Titan, Rhea, Mimas, Dione, Thethys). Thanks for your awesome work!

the sun in stock ksp is already the size of a real life jupiter so you should be able to make a 1:1 scale saturn

the sun in stock ksp is already the size of a real life jupiter so you should be able to make a 1:1 scale saturn

I don't think there's any issues with the game itself, but the map view doesn't zoom out enough. I figure that's easy to fix, and with Nathan's extension to time warp it also might not take hours of real time to get there.

hi Nathan, thanks again for the great work.

I was trying aircraft earlier and few days ago too and I noticed a sheer change in the behaviour of intakes. I dont know if it's because of the rescale, that intakes now are super-inefficient, just like if they were at very high altitudes, and therefore engines now require multiple intakes, not just one. Even with the all-in-one engines from B9, which used to be self-sufficient. Now you have to go crazy with intakes. I was wondering (if it's caused by your mod) if there is a work-around, maybe? Im gonna try changing config for the intakes, maybe intake speed or area, see if that works.

Any ideas, anyone?

I'm actually not at all having problems with planes or intakes.

In fact, at 1:1 intake ratio, I can reach realistic altitudes at realistic speeds.

SSTO designs are still hard as hell.. planes need to be friggin' huge to carry enough hydrolox or heavy to carry kerolox based orbital engines.

Has anyone managed SSTO yet? my record so far has been 5km/s at 105km.

Oh one thing that does bug me; re-entry effects at lower-ish altitudes.. I know planes get kind of hot (SR-71) at those altitudes and speeds, but re-entry effects seem overkill. any way to fix this ourselves? maybe via DREC?

Edited by Visari

Use heavy struts from KW Rocketry pack, strut stages to each other, and strut decoupler to the lower stage. Like this:

AJIs4UY.png

It's rock solid!

Thats cool. Had struted the upper to the lower stage but not the decouplers. What about the shrouds? I tried the one from Proc Fairings but its quite buggy.

Thats cool. Had struted the upper to the lower stage but not the decouplers. What about the shrouds? I tried the one from Proc Fairings but its quite buggy.

BobCat had told me that he will add autoshroud later to all engines, so I didn't bother adding it myself :) And simple tip - if shroud gets into the way of inter-stage struts, make your fuel tanks just a little bit wider (I assume you use stretchy tanks), and struts should fit with no problems and obstacles. In my case RD-171M that sits on the first stage is a bit wider than 3.75 m tank (so I've made whole first stage tank wider to match engine size), so for me it worked out very well - second stage is exactly 3.75 m, while first is a bit wider (you can see that if you'll look at 3.75m decoupler from KW Rocketry pack). Speaking of which - we need to have stretchy decouplers :)

Oh, and don't forget to put on some separatrons (I use ullage motors from KW Rocketry) because of that struts-killing-decouple-force bug decoupler won't push your stack away from lower stage.

Edited by asmi

BobCat had told me that he will add autoshroud later to all engines, so I didn't bother adding it myself :) And simple tip - if shroud gets into the way of inter-stage struts, make your fuel tanks just a little bit wider (I assume you use stretchy tanks), and struts should fit with no problems and obstacles. In my case RD-171M that sits on the first stage is a bit wider than 3.75 m tank (so I've made whole first stage tank wider to match engine size), so for me it worked out very well - second stage is exactly 3.75 m, while first is a bit wider (you can see that if you'll look at 3.75m decoupler from KW Rocketry pack). Speaking of which - we need to have stretchy decouplers :)

Oh, and don't forget to put on some separatrons (I use ullage motors from KW Rocketry) because of that struts-killing-decouple-force bug decoupler won't push your stack away from lower stage.

I have no problems with struting actually. The problems lies somewhere between the stretchy tanks and the procedural interstage adapter. I tried playing with the radius of both top and bottom stage as well as the interstage adapter radius. I stack it - no problem, strut it, again no problem, but once I apply the fairings, they either don't touch the upper stage (there is a small gap) or, if I make it to touch the upper stage, the fairings shape like a cube instead of conical shape. Same problem is the fairings are parallel to the stage above/beneath. They just want to leave a gap and close that gap with a weird curved end of the fairing. It look ugly and creates more drag than it should.

Probably its only aesthetic effect (not sure if FAR accounts for this), but its rather annoying and most importantly it DOESN'T look right.

Did you try adjusting the top radius of the interstage adapter (Y key)?

Yes, it either leaves a huge gap or closes into a cubic shape like on the image above. Same goes if the tanks in both stages have the same radii. It just wants to leave a gap...

I don't think there's any issues with the game itself, but the map view doesn't zoom out enough. I figure that's easy to fix, and with Nathan's extension to time warp it also might not take hours of real time to get there.

Look closer at that last picture Nathan posted. Already done. :)

Screen of the problem:

Yea I agree it looks kinda funky. Can you try asking in proc fairing thread, maybe they would be able to help you out? I very rarely use them for interstages since they tend to spam staging list and confuse me what and when is being decoupled.

Yea I agree it looks kinda funky. Can you try asking in proc fairing thread, maybe they would be able to help you out? I very rarely use them for interstages since they tend to spam staging list and confuse me what and when is being decoupled.

True that !!

Huh. I don't really have trouble with the procedural interstage, and it's what I use as stretchy decoupler anyway. As long as you put the fairings and the internal decoupler (which doesn't do anything; it's just there to not confuse MJ/KER) in the same stage as one big decoupler, it's fine. Regarding extending it: there's a few tricks you can do. First, play with J and Y until you get a combination that doesn't go inward like that; second, if you use the non-moving top node, or surface-attach to the top of the interstage base, you can use R (like with regular fairings) to change the shape. Finally, use egg rather than conical.

With all that combined, I really don't have trouble with them as my only decoupler ever.

I also made my own version with only two side nodes, to lower part count. I forget whether I included that in my PF textures zip.

These engines were made for me (right now these include NK-33/43, RD-171M, RD-180 and RD-191, and there will be more of them, to a total of 10) by BobCat on a condition that they won't be publicly distributed. I'm allowed to give them to other people as long as they agree to not redistribute them. I know that it sounds kinda weird, but I would've agreed on whatever terms if that would allow me to get my hands on these masterpieces. Just look at this:

878b858a70e922a62a9738e384a4349e.png

Will they ever be publicly distributed, for instance when the interstage fairings are added? It seems we will have a real hunger for huge engines and parts with the RSS rescale mod.

Visari, do you have any idea why my setup has weird intake behaviour?

Are you using FAR?

Any other mods that could tamper with intakes? intakeair? engines? jets specifically?

Are your intakes placed right?

Screenshots of an affected craft can help.

Also, Nathan, I've been testing the .1.2 KMP update with real scale, seems to work fine so far.

40km barrier relative to ksc still works. vessel was normally added upon leaving, no server crashing or disconnect.

Though I need a few people to test with me, see if it can handle a mix of regular and rescaled clients.

Would be pretty awesome to have something online going at real scales.

Going zZz now. will test more tomorrow.

Will they ever be publicly distributed, for instance when the interstage fairings are added? It seems we will have a real hunger for huge engines and parts with the RSS rescale mod.

I have no idea. I guess they will be...eventually... if I'll manage to clear this with BobCat. You have to understand that as a creator he holds all rights to them and so can put forth whatever terms and conditions he feels are appropriate for his ends.

Oh, and this "pack" is going to contain not just "huge engines" - some upper stage engines as well. They seem "huge" because, unlike all other BobCat's mods, there are done with 1:1 scale (instead of usual 64%).

Visari, thank you for your help. I found the cause of the problem. It lies with a mod that edits the behavious of engines globally. Similar to KIDS. I exchanged the former with the latter. KIDS runs much better, has more options, and doesnt affect jet engines. Result: perfection.

So, in the end, wasnt even far related to the rescale mod, which is good to know as I cannot bare cons to add to the list of this mod - which are still only the few bugs. No real cons to this mod yet ;)

You have to understand that as a creator he holds all rights to them and so can put forth whatever terms and conditions he feels are appropriate for his ends.

I do fully understand. It is just that I can not image someone like BobCat doing all this amazing work, only to keep it to himself or making it available in a limited way. He has every right to, I just do not see any reason.

Oh, and this "pack" is going to contain not just "huge engines" - some upper stage engines as well. They seem "huge" because, unlike all other BobCat's mods, there are done with 1:1 scale (instead of usual 64%).

I was more referring to the power of them, but hey :) Either way I will keep saying that I would love to see everything scaled similarly. Having some stuff at 1:1 and some at 25:16 (64%) somehow does not feel that satisfying.