Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

So it takes time to send the program, but once it's running, there's no delay, right?

Or am I just completely misunderstanding this?

Thats the plan I believe. :) Just like it will be with the MAVEN mission going to Mars today (Pending weather/tech problems). Also if you try running a program manually, once in delay, I would imagine it would have a delay too, not sure how that'll work for programs that run other programs, but we'll see soon enough.

Edited by Sma

A problem I stumbled (and crashed) upon yesterday: If there is no low orbit satellite coverage everywhere at all times and the 500km omni-antenna is out of range, it is quite difficult to safely land something at Kerbins poles, as the 2.5Mm omni-antenna will break on reentry/during flight in the atmosphere.

I put a command post at the north pole and that required multiple missions working with two polar satellites, one at around 200k up and another at 5 million. That 5 million really needs to be at 3 or 4 million for omni, but whatever. I wasn't thinking about that when I sent it up with no way to adjust it afterwards.

I do plan on making a south pole command post and maybe even one on the flip side of Kerbin from Mission Control because I can. Science might not always be possible but slippage in the kerbosync will no longer matter for control. This is KSP. Shoddy things make for interesting times.

I guess I don't understand what's required to create a command center? 6 Kerbals and which part? The 3.5m control core part? What are most people doing, sticking a couple hitchhiker's together?

Thanks

You mean the 2.5m probe core. But yes, you are right. As far as getting the needed number of Kerbals, if using stock+RT only, i find a full hitchhiker with a 2 man landing can on top of it to be the an elegant solution .

I guess I don't understand what's required to create a command center? 6 Kerbals and which part? The 3.5m control core part? What are most people doing, sticking a couple hitchhiker's together?

Thanks

You can always use KAS and/or docking to put multiple crafts together.

Not sure if it's a bug or a feature but when I program a burn im delta/v, the burn never fully completes, I'm always left with a couple of m/s. Also, I set a 2min delayed reorientation and had 12 seconds remaining on the countdown when I lost L.O.S to KSC, the timer stopped counting down (expected) but the maneuver didn't happen until I had a connection to KSC again (unexpected). Is this intended?

So, I have heavily gotten into this mod, and I have run into a strange situation now that there is signal delay. Obviously this is a User-Error type problem, but I'm wondering if anyone else has done this sucessfully/knows how to do it.

What I'm working with: Unmanned probe designed to land on Eve: has 2 retractable 40Gm dishes on it, both connected to my coms network, multiple parachutes, and the basics (solar pannels, etc)

Desired plan: Get to Eve and establish orbit at 100km (done) Set up and perform retro burn to come in over land (easy enough) Next comes the part that I can't figure out: Flight computer programming!

(all of this must be done BEFORE atmospheric entry, else the dishes break due to high dynamic pressure)

1: Set SAS to retrograde (because it has a heatshield and I use Deadly re-entry)

2: Set parachutes to deploy at 10km alt (I know this is a bit high, but I'd rather wait a while to land than be ripped apart by gforces from deceleration)

3: Set landing legs to deploy (can be same time as parachutes, doesn't have to be though)

4: once landed, re-activate coms dishes.

now, I know I can just use a large 'fixed' dish that doesn't care about atmosphere, but it's extremely un-realistic and quite frankly, they are heavy... and with the 90s+ delay at Eve, manually flying the probe will be extremely difficult and most likely result in destruction of the probe.

SO, ultimately, how does one 'program' the flight computer to do things like this?

Not intended. The extra delay should go down and execute when disconnected as long as you have power.

I don't seem able to reproduce it now, definitely had power (full sunlight+batteries) I'll submit a bug report if it happens again.

Any tips on the issue of burns not fully completing when programed in m/s?

And hit me if I talk nonsense, but are the parts missing an "entryCost =" line in their part.cfg/MM.cfg files?

To repeat my question - for they are not appearing in any of my career mode games.

(The longer omni, the Giga-Dishes etc.)

You can always use KAS and/or docking to put multiple crafts together.

Uh, thanks... But I'm trying to find out what part or parts are required to build out a *working* command center (one that RT2 recognizes as such). Docking or KAS def melds two crafts together, but I'm looking for the list if what parts are required by the mod, to create a working command center, such that direct connection to KSC is not required to control a probe. (I understand the direct link to KSC is always required to transmit science I assume this might change with .23 when the field lab is released??).

Thanks again

Where/how do you disable the signal delay? interfering with MJ (default off with MJ installed perhaps?)

In the RemoteTech_Settings.cfg set EnableSignalDelay = False - must have run and used the mods UI in the map at least once. So, after installation two starts are required.

Cilph, why is the cfg file only created after running the game once instead of zipped in with the mod? Just being curious. :)

I'm trying to find out what part or parts are required to build out a *working* command center

(I understand the direct link to KSC is always required to transmit science I assume this might change with .23 when the field lab is released??).

A craft with room for at least 6 Kerbals (and then staffed with at least 6) and the big round disky probe core, antennas/dishes and power supply.

(As I read it, the lab will only increase the science gained while transmitting data.)

Edited by KerbMav

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've put 3 satellites around Duna, so that I can beam science back to Kerbin from the surface without having to lug around bit antennas on every craft. Each of those satellites has a big dish pointed at Kerbin, and seem to work fine, I can control them, etc. Also, each has a omni antenna, the one with the bigger range, so that I can relay that control back to any lander I have on the planet. But that isn't working. I can't beam science back, it says I'm not connected. I'm in range of the satellites on Duna, they have the white lines showing I'm in range.

Can I do this? Use dish to call home and relay that signal locally using omni antennas? Please help!

To repeat my question - for they are not appearing in any of my career mode games.

(The longer omni, the Giga-Dishes etc.)

entryCost is not necessary. They appear in my game. One should be under Adv. Science, one under Specialized Electrics (NOT Large Electrics)

In the RemoteTech_Settings.cfg set EnableSignalDelay = False - must have run and used the mods UI in the map at least once. So, after installation two starts are required.

Cilph, why is the cfg file only created after running the game once instead of zipped in with the mod? Just being curious. :)

A craft with room for at least 6 Kerbals (and then staffed with at least 6) and the big round disky probe core, antennas/dishes and power supply.

(As I read it, the lab will only increase the science gained while transmitting data.)

Easier to maintain. Default values are all in the plugin itself and can assume those default values instead of crash if someone screws up input.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've put 3 satellites around Duna, so that I can beam science back to Kerbin from the surface without having to lug around bit antennas on every craft. Each of those satellites has a big dish pointed at Kerbin, and seem to work fine, I can control them, etc. Also, each has a omni antenna, the one with the bigger range, so that I can relay that control back to any lander I have on the planet. But that isn't working. I can't beam science back, it says I'm not connected. I'm in range of the satellites on Duna, they have the white lines showing I'm in range.

Can I do this? Use dish to call home and relay that signal locally using omni antennas? Please help!

Yes, you can. You can even establish a link with a dish and an antenna, as long as the dish is facing the antenna and the antenna can reach the dish with its range.

Check list:

KSC is connected to a big (or more) dish that has the range to reach Duna

dish is targeting Duna

satellite at Duna has dish with range to Kerbin

is targeting Kerbin

has either a dish to point to your rover or an omni-antenna with range to reach the surface, covering the area your rover is in

your rover has a dish targeting the satellite or an omni antenna in range of the satellite

no planet or moon covering the signal

satellites are high enough to "look" around the curve of the planets surface

everything has sufficient power

This may be a weird question but, is there a limit on how many RT2 probes and ships can exist at once? I'm trying to find out why every time I try to launch the number 41 (or maybe a couple more, from debris with antennas) my debug log gets a continuous stream of divide by zero errors and all connections are lost, until I delete that probe (that anyways I can't launch), when everything gets back to normal xD

If it's not the case, I'll use the GitHub as the first post says.

Yes, you can. You can even establish a link with a dish and an antenna, as long as the dish is facing the antenna and the antenna can reach the dish with its range.

Thanks! I needed to set my KSC geostationary dish to Duna. I had it set to the active craft, thinking that the angle would cover the other ones on the same system, I guess that isn't the case.