Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

What's funny is that release 1.2 hadn't gone through my usual testing phase. I should've sent it to some people to test like I had planned. *cough*.

Working on fixing the Target/Maneuver delays. For kOS integration I'll write a new interface that uses reflection and some form of dynamic typing that I can pull off in .NET 3.5. That'll keep me busy for an entire sunday.

Edited by Cilph

A geosync satellite should have an orbital period of 6 hours (21600 sec). You can get that period with an expected error of 0.05 sec/orbit or .00023%. That's better than what you can accomplish by using altitude and would amount to a maximum of 5 minutes of drift per year. That's not nothing, but it's pretty tolerable. Chuck an ion engine on your sat like I showed on my previous comment and you can correct that drift every few years without much trouble.

I agree, as long as you put a geostationary sat with the right orbital period, they will be stable for a long time.

I did run a 1.000.000X TimeWarp test for the game-equivalent of 1 year (I'm using RealSolarSystem, which also adds higher time-warps) and the drift was less than 1º of longitude:

Those sats are geo-synced to the second of accuracy, if I did bother syncing to tenths of second perhaps the drift would be even less.

I can't quite figure out how to queue things up? I hit Q and I can see the currently executing option (Holding on node, burning for x m/s) but I clicking a new button or a new BRN just replaces what I have there.

EDIT: Actually, im testing this on a locally controlled ship so I'm guessing that's why. Presumably any actually delayed commands are added to the Q? Woops

Wait, what? These are not single-frame throttle drops? You're not going to drop out of the sky with some minor hiccups.

No, I don't drop out of the sky, *because I never reach the sky*. The jitter is bad enough that the average thrust is a fraction of full throttle, on launch the clamps release and the vehicle simply drops to the pad and explodes. Orbital maneuvers are all-but-impossible as a few hundred meters per second burn can take five to ten minutes rather than a few tens of seconds.

Headed out to a party in a few, will test the emergency solution later tonight or first thing tomorrow. Thanks!

Yep, the "jitter" is has been a known bug with kOS and MJ for a while now. I guess it's just that new people are using it and havent' seen the previous posts on the kOS thread about it.

It was not present in the previous version, it appeared with yesterday's release. And it's not a conflict with MJ, I get it in manual mode (no MJ installed on the vehicle) as well.

Is there any way to have RemoteTech without Signal Delay?

Play with filter icons on map view -> generates config file -> disable signal delay.

No, I don't drop out of the sky, *because I never reach the sky*. The jitter is bad enough that the average thrust is a fraction of full throttle, on launch the clamps release and the vehicle simply drops to the pad and explodes. Orbital maneuvers are all-but-impossible as a few hundred meters per second burn can take five to ten minutes rather than a few tens of seconds.

Headed out to a party in a few, will test the emergency solution later tonight or first thing tomorrow. Thanks!

It was not present in the previous version, it appeared with yesterday's release. And it's not a conflict with MJ, I get it in manual mode (no MJ installed on the vehicle) as well.

Strangely I can not reproduce it. No throttle glitches here.

Is there any way to have RemoteTech without Signal Delay?

Indeed there is. RT2 has a global config file called RemoteTech_Settings.cfg, this can be found in GameData\RemoteTech2.

open up the config in any text editor of your choosing and change EnableSignalDelay = True to EnableSignalDelay = False

Release 1.2.6:

• Fixed settings file not auto-generating;
  • Fixed collection modified exception;
  • Possibly fixed throttle jitter again?;
  • Fixed Target/Maneuver in Flight Computer;
  • Disable SAS when Flight Computer is on;
  • Tweaked time warp throttling when commands are approaching.

I have a few questions:

1. Why RT2 not compatible with RT1? Problems with old dishes authors permission? Can anyone give a suggestion, how to combine old and new antennas?

2. Whether there is a way to more precisely adjust antennas ranges? As I remember, pointing dish on omni-antennas will results in double range of omni-antenna.

It is far from real, range is depend on dish gain. Any way to adjust it?

3. Whether there is a way to bind activate/deactivate functions from RT2 to other antennas animation (like antennas from LLL/AIES)?

I have a few questions:

1. Why RT2 not compatible with RT1? Problems with old dishes authors permission? Can anyone give a suggestion, how to combine old and new antennas?

2. Whether there is a way to more precisely adjust antennas ranges? As I remember, pointing dish on omni-antennas will results in double range of omni-antenna.

It is far from real, range is depend on dish gain. Any way to adjust it?

3. Whether there is a way to bind activate/deactivate functions from RT2 to other antennas animation (like antennas from LLL/AIES)?

1. It's a complete rewrite. It threw everything out. For the dishes, I wanted to maintain a stock look so some got left out.

2. Doesn't happen anymore as a simplification of the system. This is a game after all and the point of RemoteTech is to enforce the building of networks - not be an accurate representation of gain and signal to noise ratios.

3. There is. It now uses the stock Squad animation system, so if you can hook it into that, you can hook it into RT2.

Is there anyway to disable the mod without actually taking out the parts? There are things I want to do but I don't have sats in the right places so using probes is impossible and I don't have the time to put them all up. Any way to disable needing a connection on probes I guess is what I'm asking.

Just delete dll ))

Cliph, thanks.

This is a game after all and the point of RemoteTech is to enforce the building of networks - not be an accurate representation of gain and signal to noise ratios.

But we building those networks according to antennas ranges - why not to be more precise? ))

I understand, we don't need tons of maths, but this point is important, and, I think, it is not so hard to calculate - elementary actions.

It is offensively when sattellite with high-gain dish loose connection just because, while in real it can operate fine, don't you think so? :)

More questions.

what is the strings in config:

NathanKell_MultipleAntennaSupport

RangeModelType

?

Edited by MaxP

I was toying around with the Real Scale solar system mod earlier today and I noticed a six second signal delay from my relay around Kerbin to the Mun. I figured that you had scaled down the speed of light to fit with the vanilla system, so I went into the config files and changed it. However, upon reopening KSP it appeared that I hadn't done anything to it; there was still a six second delay. I went back to the config files to see what I did wrong and it appeared to have automatically gotten rid of my changes, despite the fact that I had saved it. So upon seeing you fixed a similar glitch, I installed 1.2.6 and was wondering, how do I access the settings file? I can only find the files for the the probe cores, mech-jeb, and antennas.

That's to give you something "more precise."

It allows multiple antennae to add together, though with diminishing returns; and it uses this model for the maximum range between two nodes:

range_of_weaker + sqrt(range_of_weaker * range_of_stronger)

And clamped to 1000x the weaker range if both are dishes, or 100x if at least one is an antenna.

It's not really power, sensitivity, and gain, but it does give you something of the feel of that.

Set RangeModelType to Additive to try it out.

Cilph's seen some problems with the planet targeting in it, which I'm fixing tonight.

Can we get an update to the OP showing what the map-buttons do on the bottom right? I tried searching but wasn't having much luck from the search engine. Best I can tell is the left one turns signal delay/link required on/off... the middle one shows the arcs for body-pointing dishes, but I don't know what the 3rd one from the left is that has multiple toggle choices.

Also, in previous RT we were able to edit the dish pointings of satellites that weren't the one we were controlling...is that still possible or do we have to switch to them now?

Well... The more I look at this, the more I like it. It almost adds another goal to the career mode in that not only do you have to complete the tech tree, but now it gives you the requirement and the goal of providing coverage everywhere you can! It's too bad I chose to get this after transmitting from Duna...

Ok, I'm at my wit's end. I don't know what I'm doing wrong! I can't keep a signal when I enter the Mun's sphere of influence! I tried everything. I added relay's at Munar orbital height to that huge list of satellites from before, with 2 dishes, but the same thing happens, the signal for the probe drops!! I have the objects pointed at each other (I keep going into map view and juggling them with "switch to" to make sure they're always pointed at each other), I have them targeted via there dishes, but the outcome is still the same!! It always drops when I enter the SoI.

I have managed to get dishes to lock onto each other between craft, but the actual signal only shows up on one of the craft. For example, while the munar probe was near Kerbin on the early part of it's trans-Munar trajectory, the Munar relay had a comm lock on it, and there was a line connecting them in map view. But that line only showed up in the map view from the PoV of the Mun relay. Even though they were locked, when I went to map view from the PoV of the probe, the line between the two craft does not exist.

In addition, only the relay can initiate a comm lock-on. If I attempt to target a comm sat with the probe, nothing happens. Is there a dominant-submissive craft hierarchy built into this program I am not understanding? Or is it a glitch? I was originally thinking that when it comes to dishes, as long as two are in each other's range, and are targeted, they should link. Is it not that simple?

I'm beginning to think the Mun comm-lose issue may be a glitch. I have a couple of other add-ons installed and I have a sneaking suspicion something's not playing nice with something else. I'm on Mac, and after a few launches I begin to get graphics artifacts (odd patches of shadows, craft becoming completely black as they climb into space, freezing, etc). That tends to happen with too many or incompatible add-ons. Is that the issue?

That's to give you something "more precise."

It allows multiple antennae to add together, though with diminishing returns; and it uses this model for the maximum range between two nodes:

range_of_weaker + sqrt(range_of_weaker * range_of_stronger)

And clamped to 1000x the weaker range if both are dishes, or 100x if at least one is an antenna.

It's not really power, sensitivity, and gain, but it does give you something of the feel of that.

Set RangeModelType to Additive to try it out.

Cilph's seen some problems with the planet targeting in it, which I'm fixing tonight.

NathanKell, thank you, it is good enough for feel "more precise" ))

Range errors we can imagine as unpredictable conditions.

Edited by MaxP

What's funny is that release 1.2 hadn't gone through my usual testing phase. I should've sent it to some people to test like I had planned. *cough*.

I spent last night playing with 1.2.0 expecting it to blow up, but couldn't find any fault in it. Didn't try the kOS integration though, was too busy setting up my satellite network. Absolutely Loving the flight computer after I figured out the queue, dat burn control <3 Only minor thing with it is that I'd like an off button to mash repeatedly when things go pear shaped due to clicking the wrong thing ^_^

MoVGI7V.jpg

For kOS integration I'll write a new interface that uses reflection and some form of dynamic typing that I can pull off in .NET 3.5. That'll keep me busy for an entire sunday.

Yayy, can't wait :)

Can we get an update to the OP showing what the map-buttons do on the bottom right? I tried searching but wasn't having much luck from the search engine. Best I can tell is the left one turns signal delay/link required on/off... the middle one shows the arcs for body-pointing dishes, but I don't know what the 3rd one from the left is that has multiple toggle choices.

Also, in previous RT we were able to edit the dish pointings of satellites that weren't the one we were controlling...is that still possible or do we have to switch to them now?

Left to right - from memory - show uplink routing for active vessel, show dish arcs when pointing at bodies, show antenna/dish/both/none possible connections, setup target for dishes.

You can do so in the observatory at KSC, select a vessel and click on the fourth button of the RT menu we just talked about.

I don't really understand the need for both dishes to be pointing at each other. If I select one of my sats from a ship, the sat should fix to the ship automatically, it's obvious I want to use it. Why must I switch vessels to the sat to tell it the same thing?

I don't really understand the need for both dishes to be pointing at each other. If I select one of my sats from a ship, the sat should fix to the ship automatically, it's obvious I want to use it. Why must I switch vessels to the sat to tell it the same thing?

Because from the satellites perspective it isn't obvious. Until the satellite has aligned its dish in a suitable direction, it doesn't even know it's being yelled at for pointing in the wrong direction. (from a gaming perspective it's a little bit tedious, but I don't mind enough to care :) ) Ofc in certain situations the dish would in reality be pointed in the right direction and pick up the hail, but we don't have physical aiming of dishes. (thank god, that'd drive me nuts :confused: )