A Plan to Save Mankind

Skyler4856

We have the technology, but not the money to put them into space.

Stop saying that.

If I was a dictator of the world, and I was in this situation, that is exactly what I would do.

Perform a crash-colonization program and shoot peopleon sight if they oppose the colonization efforts or rebel, along with fortifying the space centers into a literal fortress (To protect the researchers from terriosts).

Thank God you're not.

Edited by Nibb31

I suggest read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy if you want to know how the society could behave when the end is inevitable :)

I suggest watching Children of Men (2006), the first movie from the guy who directed Gravity. It depicts a world where Humanity has become sterile (due to pesticides, disease, or some other unexplained cause). There are no more children and there is no tomorrow. It's a great movie for pessimists like me ;)

Stop saying that.

Thank God you're not.

Don't get first sentence.

Who knows?

When I run for Congress, I hope none of you necro this thread.

I'm considered basically one with almost a near-fanatical obessesion and loyalty to human spaceflight programs. Give me a suicide mission without chance of return, but make it a spaceflight to some faraway world for NASA/science, and I'll gladly do it. Have me kill myself for the agency, and I'll do it.

I'm willing to do whatever it takes to do the best for mankind and our spacefaring efforts, even if it means killing hundreds. And this will be the last I say on the topic. Move on, shall we?

Don't get first sentence.

The links I posted earlier about TRL levels, did you read them?

I'm considered basically one with almost a near-fanatical obessesion and loyalty to human spaceflight programs. Give me a suicide mission without chance of return, but make it a spaceflight to some faraway world for NASA/science, and I'll gladly do it. Have me kill myself for the agency, and I'll do it.

I'm willing to do whatever it takes to do the best for mankind and our spacefaring efforts, even if it means killing hundreds. And this will be the last I say on the topic. Move on, shall we?

It's not the first time you've claimed that you would be happy to off yourself or others for some sort of delusional cause. I think you should be seeking help instead of posting on forums.

The links I posted earlier about TRL levels, did you read them?

It's not the first time you've claimed that you would be happy to off yourself or others for some sort of delusional cause. I think you should be seeking help instead of posting on forums.

Nah.

I just find that the survival of the human race is much more important than my life. The cause of colonizing and exploring space is not delusion-if anything, to me, it is the most honorable and honest cause one could die for or hope to die for.

Seeking help?

I'm insane, yes. But not that insane.

You, sir, need to adopt a more optimistic and supportive mindset of human technology and space exploration.

If I was the world...

Abolishing militaries, and throwing funds together into a massive colonization/terraforming project on Mars.

Along the way, I'm going to cut aid to other countries and focus them on the colonization efforts, while giving up the ENTIRE concept of money for this massive effort to get people to Mars.

and a few days later turns out some dictator has not abandoned his personal palace guard and takes over the world, enslaving the entire population to provide a luxury space yacht for himself and a few of his supporters, leaving the rest to rot and die.

No, not that.

I said, in a special case such as this, when mankind is in true danger, I would find it necessary to kill troublemakers to prevent them from impeding the space program. Otherwise, I tolerate critics of the space program AND have done it myself several times. But otherwise, don't say things like "defund NASA and give all the money to some stupid BS worthless cause (Like paying researchers to play world of warcraft)" in my face, because that's worthy of an argument.

How about you all shut the hell up of insulting my views. I'm fanatically loyal to the space program. So what? I love the space program. I love humanity. I value my country, my honor, the human race more than my life.

What's wrong with being selfless, huh?

What's wrong with being an dreamer, huh?

What's wrong with being a hopeful person, huh?

What's wrong with loving space exploration, huh?

Now tell me what's wrong, you fools, before you keep calling me delusional.

@jRand: "You may use sarcasm or cycism". Well, that's a new synoymn for stupid that I haven't heard about. Thanks!

Edited by NASAFanboy

and a few days later turns out some dictator has not abandoned his personal palace guard and takes over the world, enslaving the entire population to provide a luxury space yacht for himself and a few of his supporters, leaving the rest to rot and die.

Hate to say this, but the survival of a few is better than the survival of none. If you're going for such a project, you're going to need all the money you can get.

I'm not that type of leader. I'm going to try to get as many people out as possible, hopefully in the millions of people are saved from death

If I had to save mankind in 30 years?

1. Build as many Orion NPPS ships as fast as possible.

2. Load as many people and useful equipment on to each ship as possible.

3. Head for Mars, begin colonization and eventual terraformation

4. Wash, rinse, repeat until the Apocalypse Impact Event (A.E.I.)

Atlantis? Endavour? It's your turn! launch togetzer at the same moment to a space station, refuel there, make a moon flyby to the asteroid, land there (with wings :o), place a nuclear bomb on it, relaunch home and destroy the asteroid! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Let's be absolutely clear here: There is zero possibility of a 2013 society moving a dwarf planet out of an impact trajectory with Earth.

That established, our efforts must (and I'd assume will) be made to move our ecosystem (The food chain we rely on, from the bacteria we desperately need to the algae to what have you) from Earth to elsewhere. The easiest location would be in orbit of a planet like Mars. [i would say Earth, but the debris field would tear a colony station apart).

Remember, it's far easier to modify and control a space station colony than it is a Mars or extraterrestrial colony. We'd have a LOT more space and volume to work with that we can expand on. We don't have to worry about storms and geographical errors. The Delta V required to do anything with the colony is tremendously small compared to a planet colony. It also has the same downsides: Hazardous environment (Vacuum, radiation), lack of available resources (water, oxygen), etc. The problem is easier maintained in a station, however. As such, were I in charge of Earth's Survival Plan when Moho is first spotted, I'd put all of our resources into constructing a super-modular station in orbit of Mars, and focus all future I.S.S research on how to keep the food chain alive in a small, controlled, high-radiation zero-G environment. Health risks are a mute point when your 3 realistic choices are: Mars, Mars orbit, or Lava Planet A. [Earth]

This was my main message

Considering that you repeatedly said in different context that people who disagrees with you should be executed, politics might not be the right career path for you.

au contraire, he'd be in good company in politics. Most of them (especially on the left) think like that. Pol Pot, Stalin, Mao, Ho Chi Minh, Mugabe, Kim Il Sung, the list of notorious politicians who thrived on such a mindset is exhaustive.

Hate to say this, but the survival of a few is better than the survival of none. If you're going for such a project, you're going to need all the money you can get.

I'm not that type of leader. I'm going to try to get as many people out as possible, hopefully in the millions of people are saved from death

yes, but would you want the likes of Stalin or Kim Il Sung to be the sole survivors of the human race?

As alluding to the OP, given the small size of it trying to redirect it may be feasible if it's done when the object is far enough away. Considering how finicky intercepts can be to set up even 0.1 m/s change may make it a near miss event instead.

I do think it may be possible to survive on the Earth as previously discussed too.

My idea though would be to go to Jupiter instead, specifically it's moon Callisto. Jupiters magnetic field would provide some protection from the solar radiation, and the rest of the Jovian moons should be able to provide enough resources to sustain mankind for a good few years at least.

Advances in robotic probes/miners and 3d printing would be helpful too..

yes, but would you want the likes of Stalin or Kim Il Sung to be the sole survivors of the human race?

It's better that nothing.

I never said those who disagreed should be executed. I said that we should kill troublemakers that try to ham the survival of the entire human race.

Otherwise, I highly suggest Armadeggon Fans watch Deep Impact before posting.

They're going to die anyway, so this is a moot point. The colonies have already been launched and set up on Mars. Earth is dead no matter which dictator takes over.

If I was the world...

Abolishing militaries, and throwing funds together into a massive colonization/terraforming project on Mars.

Along the way, I'm going to cut aid to other countries and focus them on the colonization efforts, while giving up the ENTIRE concept of money for this massive effort to get people to Mars.

In a perfect world I'd do this in a heartbeat, but there will always be greedy people with power who will cause problems, which is why we have militaries and extensive foreign policy systems such as the UN. On the other hand, crowdfunding might work.

I posted this a few pages ago but no one responded, so I thought I'd just repost it. :D

hypothetically speaking here, would it be possible if you launched at the right moment in the right place to use the crashing planetoid to get a grav assist into orbit as it was smashing into the earth?

I posted this a few pages ago but no one responded, so I thought I'd just repost it. :D

Possible.

The giant tsunami of liquid mantle and city-block sized shrapnel will destroy you, however. If you manage to evade the billions of ship-destroying debris, note that the thermal radiation, gamma rays, etc al will probably kill anything and everything in, under, around or above Earth - probably as far out as the moon.

Your liquified, dismembered wreckage will be slung out into space, and I imagine it'll probably come back in a few months and land in the lava pile anyway.

The solutions may well depend on the asteroid's characteristics. I will make up a scenario. A 250 km rubble pile. A nuclear bomb of 50 MT power would throw off a large amount of fragments. Those fragments, however, would likely not leave orbit due to said objects gravitational influence. Now, a 250 km differentiated rock with a consolidated surface and interior. It has a Crust, mantle and core. It is of much higher density than said rubble pile. A 50 megaton bomb will create a nice crater, but nothing much will be thrown out of orbit, if at all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.