[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

Another reason for the chute editing window in the action groups is it prevents the "lifting" of parts.

So you finish building your vessel, right-click the parachute and open the edit window. You finish the first parachute and go to the second one and left-click it. Left-click is select after all. Except that you are still in part editing mode and you have just lifted that chute off your vessel and if you are distracted, such as looking at the parachute editing window you have open, it is quite easy to miss the fact that the second parachute is no longer attached to your vessel.

D.

update pls

what's the reason for updating? if you are experiencing issues with the latest KSP and this add-on, then fine, but report those issues.

I can't even see (unlike for other add-ons) a version mismatch being reported with Realchutes and latest KSP.

If your reason is just to see the [1.0.4] label with this add-on title, then let modders take their time, there is no need to put unneeded pressure on them.

what's the reason for updating? if you are experiencing issues with the latest KSP and this add-on, then fine, but report those issues.

I can't even see (unlike for other add-ons) a version mismatch being reported with Realchutes and latest KSP.

If your reason is just to see the [1.0.4] label with this add-on title, then let modders take their time, there is no need to put unneeded pressure on them.

Well said... Thanks diomedea..

modders have enough to do without un-needed prompting..

cheers.

Using realchutes earlier you can not open above 350m/s. Now in 1.04 they've added a similar feature. However, will it be possible to open drag chutes at a higher speed in the next realchute version?

Not an issue with the mod as such, but every time I open one of Chris' threads, the penguin makes me jump out of my skin and suffer a mild epileptic fit when the .gif loads and it starts vibrating!

Wenking intensifies!

Is this a good reason for asking the dev to updates his mod ? The way it was asked was dumb and not really polite, but marking it's mod working on Kerbal Stuff isn't probably the biggest task.

I'm cross-posting this from the FAR thread, where it was suggested that I should hit up stupid_chris with my questions :)

FAR replaces the stock parachutes with a RealChute lite implementation. So far, so good.

Now, I just returned from a test flight (testing something completely unrelated), and on the capsule, I had both a mk16 main chute and a pair of mk12-R drogues. And what I noticed on descent is that apparently the drogue chutes produce exactly as much drag as the main chute does (that is, a single drogue chute fully equaled the mk16). Checking the info panel, that sort of makes sense in the way that both of these are indicated as having the same deployed area, which I presume is the main figure that's taken into account. The ingame model of the drogue chutes is much smaller, though.

I also noticed that the mk16 main chute actually isn't able to slow a single starter pod down below 7 m/s before touching down. In stock, it would be able to do so, even with one or two extra parts attached. That's important for career mode, where this is the only parachute you have available at the start, yet pretty much all the parts you have (other than the pod and the modular girders) don't survive touchdowns over 6 m/s.

I know that perhaps some of you may itch to answer "just use RealChute in the first place", but I'd like to keep it simple and stick with stock. To that end, I'm willing to fix the issues I noticed myself. It's just that - I don't know how. And that's what I've come here to ask.

- If I wanted to edit the various parachutes' ability to generate drag in order to differentiate drogues from main chutes in my save, how would I go about doing so?

- Are safe parachute deployment speeds a thing like they are with stock? If so, what are those safe speed limits for main chutes and drogues? Can I view or change them in configs somewhere? The stock chute safety indicator that was added in 1.0.3 didn't survive the transition to RealChute lite either.

Edited by Streetwind

Got a question... I'm a mod over at /r/KerbalAcademy where someone recently asked about an updated parachute calculator. The original parachute calculator is pretty ancient, but I know a lot of people found it useful.

My first thought was that an update would be impossible, given the new aerodynamics. But I'm pretty sure that RealChute is able to make similar calculations for both stock and FAR aerodynamics. Can anybody shed some light on how RealChute does this calculation? I guess maybe the drag from the ship is negligible compared to the parachutes? Would it be possible to do something similar with stock parachutes?

I don't think I have the time or skills to make an update myself, but I'll refer people here if they do. Thanks!

- If I wanted to edit the various parachutes' ability to generate drag in order to differentiate drogues from main chutes in my save, how would I go about doing so?

Here's a cfg that should do so; it copies the diameters for the stock chutes from RealChute so RealChuteLite can use them. (RealChuteLite is importing the chute configurations from the stock config, but it expects diameters instead of the stock config's drag values.)

(It looks like chutes will still be more uniform than in stock, because the max temperature and specific heat are hardcoded in RealChuteLite.)

From my observations it seems that RealChute parachutes break way too quick compared to stock chutes since 1.0.4. Ive had RealChute break at 250m/s semi-deployed while slowing down only a Mk1 pod. Anyone else encountered this?

@Edit: this is with DRE and re-entry heat at 120%

Here's a cfg that should do so; it copies the diameters for the stock chutes from RealChute so RealChuteLite can use them. (RealChuteLite is importing the chute configurations from the stock config, but it expects diameters instead of the stock config's drag values.)

(It looks like chutes will still be more uniform than in stock, because the max temperature and specific heat are hardcoded in RealChuteLite.)

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try! :)

I'm having an issue with the Mk16 parachute. I'm using Ven's stock revamp and when I attach the parachute to a command pod the game isn't registering it as a parachute attached to the craft. Right click/deploy in flight doesn't work either. Any suggestions?

Edited by sneff30

I'm having an issue with the Mk16 parachute. I'm using Ven's stock revamp and when I attach the parachute to a command pod the game isn't registering it as a parachute attached to the craft. Right click/deploy in flight doesn't work either. Any suggestions?

No logs, no cache file, no tasty sammich. Who knows?

Having to guess in the absence of real information but I'd say that Ven's chute part isn't compatible. He probably renamed the chute or cap transforms or both. Increasing frequency of compatibility problems is why I stopped using Ven's parts. Go back to using the stock Mk16 part or use the parts that RealChute comes with.

Or bring the issue to Ven. That's my advice.

Heya people.

As probably no one noticed, I have been absent of the forums and of the whole KSP community as a whole for the last two months or so. There are multiple reasons for that. The first big one is that Real Lifeâ„¢ happened. My tiny penguin heart can only take so much and I had to put a lot aside to focus on feeling better. I bought myself an Xbox One, spent more time playing games instead of coding them, went to see a few of my favourite bands live, travelled to Toronto, bought a few, uhm, expansive vinyls, etc. Basically I kinda emptied my wallet hoping it would help me feel better. And truth be told, it worked.

Now that I'm kinda feeling better about myself and in general, I believe I should be able to resume here, but with a few caveats.

1. Given y'all have completely ignored my multiple messages to help you help me help you (yes, this is no typo), I will not be supporting nor updating RealChute 1.x any further than it is.
  2. Which brings me to this: my efforts are now going to be going towards finishing RealChute 2.0. This has been in the works since February or so, and it has been pushed back a few times now for many reasons; stuff like exams, KSP 1.0 release, my recent leave, etc.
  3. If y'all complain about the lack of support, I cordially invite you to learn to code, and fix your goddamn mess.
  4. The next person to mention 64bit support gets thrown into the black hole of shame. Along with a few polar bears. And a towel.

This being said, hi folks. Been a while.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.