[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

This is an attempt a bypassing the staging controller (which is huge crap to be honest) and prevent parachutes from deploying in space when accidentally pressing the spacebar. This is one of the biggest annoyance of the stock parachutes IMO, as they end up locked this way. If you don't like that behaviour, simply right click and then press "arm chute", it does exactly what you want.
So my only recourse is to manually click every chute? Yeah no thank you, I'll swap back to stock chutes until you make these behave normally.

Dunno if you saw it but Scott's recent stream nearly ended in disaster because of your bugged chutes as well. Was quite amusing.

So my only recourse is to manually click every chute? Yeah no thank you, I'll swap back to stock chutes until you make these behave normally.

Dunno if you saw it but Scott's recent stream nearly ended in disaster because of your bugged chutes as well. Was quite amusing.

Action groups my friends.

I have no need for your passive agressivity, if you don't like the mod, don't use it, I never forced anyone to download. And I was present on that stream. He willfully admitted that he screwed up too.

That wasn't intended to be aggressive, passive or otherwise. I was just expressing my distaste. :)

As to the stream, I just mentioned it so you could check it out if you hadn't seen it. Was quite funny.

it's just because of how KSP handles staging....

Did you see scott manley's video where he blames you for the chute problems he's having ? XD

He said that you are well named, but what he doesn't realise is that staging the parachutes outside of atmosphere means they don't open (he nearly crashed)

So.. Going on this would it be possible to tweak the parachutes so that when you stage they arm in space?

Also maybe it could be in the tweakables menu?

(I've also had this problem of pressing space-bar too early, especially on duna)

Edit: oh wow did not see that up there *facepalm* I replied when looking on a previous page, Ignore me!

Hmm, any way to be able to restock spares? I got a space station around Duna and my next step is to send a drill ship to extract Kethane and return it to the station for processing, that drill ship will be a big waste of fuel after I use up all 10 spare chutes though

Hmm, any way to be able to restock spares? I got a space station around Duna and my next step is to send a drill ship to extract Kethane and return it to the station for processing, that drill ship will be a big waste of fuel after I use up all 10 spare chutes though

Not yet, but this is planned in the future :)

well, yes. Sorry I wasn't reporting an issue I was having I was reporting the possible issue others may have if they don't pay attention and end up with two versions of the DLL in their GameData folder. I'm not sure what problems that will cause. So I'm letting the developer know to update his release - unless having two versions in the same folder isn't a big deal

well, yes. Sorry I wasn't reporting an issue I was having I was reporting the possible issue others may have if they don't pay attention and end up with two versions of the DLL in their GameData folder. I'm not sure what problems that will cause. So I'm letting the developer know to update his release - unless having two versions in the same folder isn't a big deal

Module Manager only loads the latest file, so if this is the first Mod they download (Which it should be imho) then they get the module manager to make it work. If they have a newer module manager and download this then it will still work with the new manager (And it's advisable to delete the old one)

ModuleManager only ever uses the most recent version, so there will be no problems. Anyway, the differences between 1.5.5 and 1.5.6 will be negligible.

my apologies if this has been asked before; i searched the thread but couldn't find anything.

is there any way to change (i.e. increase) the maximum possible diameter for parachutes? i always much prefer to use one big chute than a bunch of little chutes, and when landing something heavy, that can get annoying. i have a number of physically-large parachute pieces, but can't push them beyond the 70m limit. seems like it shouldn't be too hard, but i'm stumped (without going into the source).

It is really cool that there is a working drag chute, finaly.

But had strange problem with them, if i place multiple chutes (either using symmetry or not) they deploy at slightly different time which is absolutely critical for a landing plane and usually causes unplanned rapid disassembly. Is this intended behavior and if it is, is there any way to avoid this? Or it is only possible to use single drag chute?

Edited by Lightwarrior

my apologies if this has been asked before; i searched the thread but couldn't find anything.

is there any way to change (i.e. increase) the maximum possible diameter for parachutes? i always much prefer to use one big chute than a bunch of little chutes, and when landing something heavy, that can get annoying. i have a number of physically-large parachute pieces, but can't push them beyond the 70m limit. seems like it shouldn't be too hard, but i'm stumped (without going into the source).

By going into the config files, tweakables are not flexible in that regard, nothing I can do.

It is really cool that there is a working drag chute, finaly.

But had strange problem with them, if i place multiple chutes (either using symmetry or not) they deploy at slightly different time which is absolutely critical for a landing plane and usually causes unplanned rapid disassembly. Is this intended behavior and if it is, is there any way to avoid this? Or it is only possible to use single drag chute?

Yes, this is exactly the intended behaviour with the random deployment of parachutes. Each of them deploys a slight moment after actual deployment is activated. That forces you to use a little creativity to prevent disaster to happen with that :)

Chris, have you considered making parachute contents--drag, drogue, main, and combo--tweakable and their sizes procedural? You could thus reduce your mod's parts to three--cone, radial, and stack--and vastly expand players' freedom.

-Duxwing

Chris, have you considered making parachute contents--drag, drogue, main, and combo--tweakable and their sizes procedural? You could thus reduce your mod's parts to three--cone, radial, and stack--and vastly expand players' freedom.

-Duxwing

This is already under way :P I'm tryingn to figure out and finalize changing single canopies to triple canopies on a part, but it's slowly getting there :)

This is already under way :P I'm tryingn to figure out and finalize changing single canopies to triple canopies on a part, but it's slowly getting there :)

AAAAWWWWW YEAAAAAAH! :)

-Duxwing

PS I thought that my request was so absurd as to be rejected.

Edited by Duxwing

Okay, the parachute-not-repacking thing happened again, this time with more detail and a better output log

So, (after a few quicksaves and quickloads) I managed to land a remote guided drill craft on Duna. Drilled as much as I needed, got back in orbit, docked with the space station and quicksaved. Went on EVA to repack the chutes - everything worked without a problem. Then I managed to break a solar panel on the way back, so I just quickloaded since all I had to redo is repack the chutes. Except after the quickload it happened again. Got an output log here, I hope it helps this time. Looks like I'll be deorbiting this craft anyway, It's too fuel inefficient for the kethane I get from it - time to make a Duna kethane mining base!

Okay, the parachute-not-repacking thing happened again, this time with more detail and a better output log

So, (after a few quicksaves and quickloads) I managed to land a remote guided drill craft on Duna. Drilled as much as I needed, got back in orbit, docked with the space station and quicksaved. Went on EVA to repack the chutes - everything worked without a problem. Then I managed to break a solar panel on the way back, so I just quickloaded since all I had to redo is repack the chutes. Except after the quickload it happened again. Got an output log here, I hope it helps this time. Looks like I'll be deorbiting this craft anyway, It's too fuel inefficient for the kethane I get from it - time to make a Duna kethane mining base!

Ah I think I know what's wrong there. I'll fix this for next update.

Questions on the drag calculator - what determines the value you need to set for the drag coefficient and why is the main chute full deploy height disabled when it appears you can change it in the VAB? Also does the number of chutes refer to the number of chute parts used or the number actually deployed? For example the main chute part will deploy 3 chutes while the radial will only deploy 1. So if I'm calculating the diameter needed for a main chute do I plug 3 into the chute count?

Just saw your post in the development thread - I get now that parachute count refers to part count used (duh, since there are two separate calculation modes in the app) and I understand a bit more what the drag coefficient is for but still not quite sure...

Edited by Gaiiden

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.