[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

Two things: the picture of your gamedata you posted a while ago doesn't work, aaand, this is the output_log.txt of the launcher, not the game.

well this is embarrassing...

EDIT: I changed a couple of things, still no joy. But I've now discovered that whatever bug I'm having is breaking KSP Interstellar as well. Heat Radiators don't work. Could it be a problem with ModuleManager or some other extension? Updated links below

here's the KSP Output

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i699xg9g4h69pzt/output_log.txt

and here's the most recent screenshot of my mod directory

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwsmo4dsvw4584h/Screenshot%20%28152%29.png

Edited by SilentGunner13

I'm having an issue with the MK16 parachute (and presumably the rest) not even being available to deploy. They don't show up in staging, and when I right click there's no option to deploy. I do have almost everything else from the Interstellar Quest list, so there could be a conflict somewhere, but when I removed RealChute, the parachutes started working again. What might be causing this, and what can I do to diagnose/fix it?

I'm having an issue with the MK16 parachute (and presumably the rest) not even being available to deploy. They don't show up in staging, and when I right click there's no option to deploy. I do have almost everything else from the Interstellar Quest list, so there could be a conflict somewhere, but when I removed RealChute, the parachutes started working again. What might be causing this, and what can I do to diagnose/fix it?

If its any help this is a similar problem to mine. Not appearing in staging, tweakables unavailable and on stock parachutes the tweakable menu is default.

Did you fix the bug for 1.2 where when you use the double chute nosecone and have the drogue chutes out you get the option to cut the main chutes instead?

Instead of showing the option to cut the drogue chutes (secondary) it showed the option to cut the main chutes, and it successfully cut them before they were even deployed.

Also the settings parameter "Parts used" as in the amount of chutes, doesn't seem to account for symmetry because when I enter 4 when using them in 4x I get the results I want with the numbers I entered, but by default it's 1 so then it should result in a 4x as large chute as needed per chute. Didn't test that though.

EDIT: I changed a couple of things, still no joy. But I've now discovered that whatever bug I'm having is breaking KSP Interstellar as well. Heat Radiators don't work. Could it be a problem with ModuleManager or some other extension? Updated links below

here's the KSP Output

Well the first thing I noticed is this weird "Plugins" folder within the GameData file, and that doesn't sound like a thing I'd see there. I'll take a look at your output_log.

That sounds a lot like a bad installation to me. Make sure the path to RealChute.dll is GameData/RealChute/Plugins/RealChute.dll, and also that nothing was moved from inside the folder.

Did you fix the bug for 1.2 where when you use the double chute nosecone and have the drogue chutes out you get the option to cut the main chutes instead?

Instead of showing the option to cut the drogue chutes (secondary) it showed the option to cut the main chutes, and it successfully cut them before they were even deployed.

Also the settings parameter "Parts used" as in the amount of chutes, doesn't seem to account for symmetry because when I enter 4 when using them in 4x I get the results I want with the numbers I entered, but by default it's 1 so then it should result in a 4x as large chute as needed per chute. Didn't test that though.

Well two things:

1) I don't think that bug was ever reported.

2) 1.2 is not yet released.

Now that'll act much differently now since each parachute will behave individually. So you'll only be able to cut all those currently open, since procedural right click events according to how many parachutes there are are not really a thing.

For that other one, I'm a little confused by what you're trying to say, but yes the default is always one, and yes, you need to change it manually.

here's the KSP Output

Alright, so first thing first:

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_win\KSP_Data\Managed\Boo.Lang.dll (this message is harmless)
Load(Assembly): /ModuleManager_1_5_6

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 53)

AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at C:\Program Files\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_win\GameData\ModuleManager_1_5_6.dll

This showed up right at the beginning of the loading. Not good.

Second thing, this is spammed right after:

HandleD3DDeviceLost
HandleD3DDeviceLost: still lost
Skipped rendering frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)

(Filename: Line: 1539)

Do not alt-tab out of KSP, it breaks a lot of stuff, Unity hates it. Run in a borderless windowed mode instead.

Third thing:

Platform assembly: C:\[COLOR="#FF0000"]Program Files[/COLOR]\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_win\KSP_Data\Managed\System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)

This is a huge game-breaking thing. KSP hates the Program Files directory. Don't put it there, drop it in another folder on your C:\ drive, C:\Games is usually best. Probably that alone will fix everything.

Next up is some more errors right in the loading:

AssemblyLoader: Loading assemblies

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 53)

Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_win\GameData\Firespitter.dll (this message is harmless)
[COLOR="#0000FF"]Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_win\GameData\ModuleManager_1_5_6.dll (this message is harmless)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="#FF0000"]Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_win\GameData\000_Toolbar\Toolbar.dll (this message is harmless)[/COLOR]
Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_win\GameData\ExsurgentEngineering\Plugins\ExsurgentEngineering.dll (this message is harmless)
Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_win\GameData\FerramAerospaceResearch\Plugins\FerramAerospaceResearch.dll (this message is harmless)
Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_win\GameData\FerramAerospaceResearch\Plugins\ferramGraph.dll (this message is harmless)
[COLOR="#FF0000"]Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_win\GameData\GameData\000_Toolbar\Toolbar.dll (this message is harmless)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="#FFA500"]Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_win\GameData\GameData\ShipManifest\Plugins\ShipManifest.dll (this message is harmless)
AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'ShipManifest': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'ShipManifest.ShipManifestBehaviour' from assembly 'ShipManifest, Version=0.3.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'XFERState' from assembly 'ShipManifest, Version=0.3.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 53)[/COLOR]

Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_win\GameData\KineTechAnimation\Plugins\KineTechAnimation.dll (this message is harmless)
Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_win\GameData\Klockheed_Martian\Plugins\km_Lib.dll (this message is harmless)
Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_win\GameData\MechJeb2\Plugins\MechJeb2.dll (this message is harmless)
Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_win\GameData\OpenResourceSystem\Plugins\OpenResourceSystem.dll (this message is harmless)
Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_win\GameData\OpenResourceSystem\Plugins\OpenResourceSystem_1_0_0.dll (this message is harmless)
Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_win\GameData\OpenResourceSystem\Plugins\OpenResourceSystem_1_1_0.dll (this message is harmless)
Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_win\GameData\RealChute\Plugins\RealChute.dll (this message is harmless)
Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_win\GameData\ResGen\ResGen.dll (this message is harmless)
Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_win\GameData\TreeLoader\TreeLoader.dll (this message is harmless)
Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_win\GameData\TriggerTech\KerbalAlarmClock.dll (this message is harmless)
Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_win\GameData\WarpPlugin\Plugins\InterstellarToolbar.dll (this message is harmless)
Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_win\GameData\WarpPlugin\Plugins\WarpPlugin.dll (this message is harmless)
Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_win\Plugins\EnhancedNavBall.dll (this message is harmless)

Three things here:

1)ModuleManager 1.5.6

2)You have two Toolbars installed, one which is in a nested GameData folder, and is probably breaking stuff.

3) Shipmanifest is not loading, probably because it is inside a nested GameData folder too.

Pretty sure fixing those things should get you rid of all problems.

Did the following changes, as recommended:

Updated ModuleManager

Changed folder location to C:/Games

Removed duplicate toolbar and any nested gamedata files

Changed KSP to windowed mode

All of these fixed the bugs and all of my mods are again working normally. Thanks stupid_chris :)

Did the following changes, as recommended:

Updated ModuleManager

Changed folder location to C:/Games

Removed duplicate toolbar and any nested gamedata files

Changed KSP to windowed mode

All of these fixed the bugs and all of my mods are again working normally. Thanks stupid_chris :)

No problem, sometimes some very dumb things have huge impâcts on the game, such as the ProgramFiles folder :P

Does this automatically deploy? I placed a chute on a rocket, but it crashed. Do I need to arm it?

Normally, yes. If you put the chute in the staging list then it will arm when it is staged.

Does the Program Files folder cause issues if KSP is installed via Steam?

It does cause problems. I created a secondary Steam folder in the root folder of my second drive: this keeps KSP out of program files and keeps all my large games out of my SSD boot drive.

It does cause problems. I created a secondary Steam folder in the root folder of my second drive: this keeps KSP out of program files and keeps all my large games out of my SSD boot drive.

Hm. What kinds of issues does it cause? I've never noticed any particular problems.

Normally, yes. If you put the chute in the staging list then it will arm when it is staged.

This is not Entirely true. In the Realchute_settings.cfg if you change autoarm to True this is the case. Otherwise you must arm them Manually either with an action group or by right clicking.

Speaking of which, since I'm working heavily on the next update, it would be a good time to say that it's going to break a lot of stuff. I know for a f act that it will break any current craft file, as well as current in-progress ships. I didn't want to have to do that, but really, doing this is going to help me sosososo much in the future to improve RealChute I had to do it. So yeah, I don't have a time yet for the update, I'd say betweem one and two week, but I cannot guarantee much right now. Ideally I'd throw this out with 0.24, but since it seems to still be far off, it'll have to do.

So yes, planify your missions with this in mind. If you have something big underway, it might be best to wait a little before updating.

Speaking of which, here is the planned feature list for RealChute 1.2

• ConfigNode based parachutes in the Part configs. This is what is going to break everything. This however, also means you can have as many parachutes as you want on one part.
  • The ability to not use staging to activate parachutes, and therefore hide the icon when not needed.
  • A small settings window in the SpaceCenter that allows you to change some general options from in game (use staging, April Fool's joke, and arm on staging for now).
  • Numerous bug fixes and speed improvements throughout the mod

While that seems small, the first one is taking a ridiculous amount of the work for the whole update (pretty much 90% of the time is spent working on that), and it's something I've been working on for at least a good ~10-15h up to now, and I'm only halfway done.

So yeah, y'all should ready yourself for that, and hopefully I can pull this out rather soon :)

In terms of breakage, will it only break saves with active vessels using RealChute, or just break everything?

Whenever I try to land on Eve, the chutes arm and pre-deploy quite well, it's when it's time to deploy that they suddenly accelerate to the speed my ship should be if it was orbiting at such a distance. You can only imagine what happens to a ship that has FAR and Deadly Re-entry installed when going at +3000 m/s in the most thick parts of Eve (1500m - 700m). I don't know what causes that but without time warp or anything, the chutes accelerate and my ship (or should I say the pod cause it gets ripped apart from the rest) gets flung and either burns up or crashes into ground.

PS

I used HyperEdit to get into a 85000x85000 orbit (just inside the atmosphere) when doing these landings.

Edited by nanowinner

Several mods have issues when it comes to hyperedit. Ity may be that hyperedit leaves the ship's velocity vectors in odds states that mods can't cope with. It might be worth cross-reporting this in the hyperedit thread.

• ConfigNode based parachutes in the Part configs. This is what is going to break everything. This however, also means you can have as many parachutes as you want on one part.

Just thought of something. Latest Module Manager can not only fix save files when modules change. (module order or module properties)

It also fixes craft files as well.

It does this when the game first starts up before it gets to the main menu. Goes through all save files and craft files.

Have you checked this already against MM 2.1.5?

Just thought of something. Latest Module Manager can not only fix save files when modules change. (module order or module properties)

It also fixes craft files as well.

It does this when the game first starts up before it gets to the main menu. Goes through all save files and craft files.

Have you checked this already against MM 2.1.5?

I have not, guess I'll have to get myself int eh loop again and see about this. I work much more than I thought I would :/

It will backup MODULEs when you no longer have the mod, restore them when you add it back, and reorder them as necesssary so data doesn't get lost by KSP's wacky-broken .craft / .sfs loader. It will not, however, go around upgrading mods' configs to newer standards, since how would it know how? :]

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.