[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Stupid goof on my end. Missing the rest of the config path. Thanks. Do the memory reporting look correct though? You should have a button for each folder you have a config for. Everything else will end up under "UNMANAGED".

Besides what I posted about, yes, the memory savings for each folder seem to be correct. It shows how much I saved per config when I click through the buttons properly and the total at the top. If that is all that you have at the moment, then everything is in order.

I thought that I should probably be kind and share my experience with you guys. I have 15-20 mods installed for KSP and I REALLY needed a texture compressor. This mod is a charm. I used the aggressive version and most mods (w/ textures) were compressed and work exactly the way they should. Haven't had a single crash, just a few texture clippings probably from one of my other mods.. Anyway, great work on this, I'd highly recommend it to anyone with a brain wondering why their KSP isn't loading.

Besides what I posted about, yes, the memory savings for each folder seem to be correct. It shows how much I saved per config when I click through the buttons properly and the total at the top. If that is all that you have at the moment, then everything is in order.

Hmmm... You don't seem to be running with a lot of mods. You were reporting issues with the memory counter before? And this one is only reporting 166MB savings. This is with the basic config then?

I thought that I should probably be kind and share my experience with you guys. I have 15-20 mods installed for KSP and I REALLY needed a texture compressor. This mod is a charm. I used the aggressive version and most mods (w/ textures) were compressed and work exactly the way they should. Haven't had a single crash, just a few texture clippings probably from one of my other mods.. Anyway, great work on this, I'd highly recommend it to anyone with a brain wondering why their KSP isn't loading.

Glad it's working out for you :)

Freaking-amazing-WellDone job Rbray89. Here my mod list:

PeCDPhj.png

And even with my HD Texture Packs my Steam main KSP install works like a sir (3.128.000 KB in memory) . Thank-you-very-much.

Edited by Proot

It's a collision between the two, but more of an issue with VE. I'm not checking if the textures are readable before trying to do stuff with it in that build. I need to fix that.

So it is basically a problem of Visual Enhancement? Ok will stick with 5.3 of VE and old 1.1 texture compressor until a fix is there . That one is kind of stable for me

Edit: Tried with the prerelease .dll and without Visual Enhancement and actually saved quite a bit. Guess I will exlude the clouds in the configs so I can use Visual enhancement but I hope you manage to fix the problems :D

Edit Edit: Visual Enhancement v6.7 still crashes my game. Without it I have ~1.3 gigs of RAM in use (thanks to ATM) but as soon as I put VE 6.7 in it crashes after loading when hitting the ~3.5 gig wall. I hope one Day I can use the newest version of VE without crashing. Well I know this belongs in the VE thread but as I am already mentioning it, as there were some major changes in v6 how is it with hd texture packs just released, will they be backwards compatible? Or do I have to use "stock" textures while using 5.3 ..

Edited by DasBananenbrot

Hmmm... You don't seem to be running with a lot of mods. You were reporting issues with the memory counter before? And this one is only reporting 166MB savings. This is with the basic config then?

I was not testing with a significant amount of mods that added parts. Most of my mods are utilities. I will do a test with all my part packs like KW, B9, AIES, etc and report my findings a little later.

If I delete the mod, do all the textures revert to default? It's causing some issues with the Urania system mod (some of the planets end up with strange, pixelated surfaces and one, Hyperion, looks really weird)

Yes. Nothing else is needed.

I just loaded the game for the first time with 2.15 Basic installed and I settled in for the long wait.

However, it seems to have frozen about halfway through the progress bar. The screen is black (ie. no splash image) and the current file is Squad/Spaces/PodCockpit/model. There is no crash dialog or folder, it just looks frozen.

Edited by Bobe

I just loaded the game for the first time with 2.15 Basic installed and I settled in for the long wait.

However, it seems to have frozen about halfway through the progress bar. The screen is black (ie. no splash image) and the current file is Squad/Spaces/PodCockpit/model. There is no crash dialog or folder, it just looks frozen.

That's seems to be a bug with module manager, it happened to me a couple of times. Delete everything from the gamedata folder and reinstall again, it's the only way.

That's seems to be a bug with module manager, it happened to me a couple of times. Delete everything from the gamedata folder and reinstall again, it's the only way.

When you say reinstall again, do you mean launch the game with only ATM and then launch again with the mods back in?

When you say reinstall again, do you mean launch the game with only ATM and then launch again with the mods back in?

I think it is an issue with a dated version of module manager. It has several bugs I have noticed that conflict with a variety of mods.

Which one ? I don't really see how MM could impact that.

There was some sort of conflict I noticed with one mod that was shipping with a different version of MM. Until I updated the mods that shipped with MM, it would not work. Now I think about it, could have easily been the mod that was shipping with it.

Ok guys, I need some help. I recently installed the Urania system mod, which worked fine. However the textures and maybe the bump maps (cant tell) have been messed up or even entirely broken by Active Texture Reduction (Agressive) and has caused weird stuff to happen. This isn't really the fault of with mod, as compressing the high-detail textures causes them to have issues (The planet Hyperions red-white spectrum inverts, the moon Erato gets weird coastlines and all the others I have seen have strange texture anomalies), but I do have a problem - I use a lot of stockalike parts packs and, with the added strain of the planet mods my 16GB PC seems to be having RAM crashes, dont know how. I have loaded up a fresh install with all my mods except this, an am now presented with a dilemma. How can I get this mod to leave the Urania textures alone but still compress my game so it will run?

Please help!

Ok guys, I need some help. I recently installed the Urania system mod, which worked fine. However the textures and maybe the bump maps (cant tell) have been messed up or even entirely broken by Active Texture Reduction (Agressive) and has caused weird stuff to happen. This isn't really the fault of with mod, as compressing the high-detail textures causes them to have issues (The planet Hyperions red-white spectrum inverts, the moon Erato gets weird coastlines and all the others I have seen have strange texture anomalies), but I do have a problem - I use a lot of stockalike parts packs and, with the added strain of the planet mods my 16GB PC seems to be having RAM crashes, dont know how. I have loaded up a fresh install with all my mods except this, an am now presented with a dilemma. How can I get this mod to leave the Urania textures alone but still compress my game so it will run?

Please help!

KSP is 32 bit, so it doesn't matter how much RAM your PC has, it can only index up to 4GB, even on x64 machines.

Now to fix your issue:

I assume Urania is in the PlanetFactory folder?

Create a config file with the exact name of the PlanetFactory mod folder. Ie. PlanetFactory.tcfg

populate it with the following:

config_enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
PlanetFactory/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
make_not_readable = false
}
}

This has not been tested, but it should work.

Something to handle this will be added in the next release to handle them.

You know, just as an amusing note, I'd really love to know how a 1.8GB gamedata folder could inflate to 3GB in RAM :(

One acronym: PNG. PNGs are compressed. When they are uncompressed it is raw, unadulterated data. a single 1024x1024 image will take up about 2MB if compressed in memory. Then there are also mip-maps, which are generated after loading which add an additional 33%. Then you have this annoying effect where in unity a texture will exist both in user and graphics memory unless you tell it otherwise.

You know, just as an amusing note, I'd really love to know how a 1.8GB gamedata folder could inflate to 3GB in RAM :(

Because the way the textures are stored on disk has nothing to do with how they're stored in RAM? And the fact that KSP also loads a gig worth of data that's not in GameData? (Ever wondered where the planet textures come from, for example? They're sure not in the GameData/Squad folder...)

KSP is 32 bit, so it doesn't matter how much RAM your PC has, it can only index up to 4GB, even on x64 machines.

Now to fix your issue:

I assume Urania is in the PlanetFactory folder?

Create a config file with the exact name of the PlanetFactory mod folder. Ie. PlanetFactory.tcfg

populate it with the following:

config_enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
PlanetFactory/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
make_not_readable = false
}
}

This has not been tested, but it should work.

Something to handle this will be added in the next release to handle them.

I'm no coder, but I will try. Thanks!

EDIT: Where should I put the config file? And will it work if I copy and paste what you put? I have managed to successfully write a PlanetFactory.cfg, but now dont know where it goes.

Sorry for being dumb, I'm just confused.

Edited by TimMartland

I'm no coder, but I will try. Thanks!

EDIT: Where should I put the config file? And will it work if I copy and paste what you put? I have managed to successfully write a PlanetFactory.cfg, but now dont know where it goes.

Sorry for being dumb, I'm just confused.

Name is the same name as your mod folder and put it into the BoulderCo config folder. You will see lots of other (t)cfg files.