Greatest achievement in KSP?

alex the killa

Landing on Minmus and the Mun, then coming back to Kerbin. Not very impressive sounding until I mention this: First successful landing on Minmus after 18 failed attempts, and I landed back on the runway that I'd taken off of. Yeah, I felt good.

Cool Madrias, I haven't gone to Mun and Minmus in one mission. Now that I said that, my reputaton has been ruined!!! *sob* Sure, I can go to Jool, but i can't do that... Well, maybe because I HAVEN'T TRIED IT YET. I feel like an idiot now. But still, great job

I sent a ship to retrieve Jeb, Bill and Bob from a small space station in a low orbit around the Mun. When I got there, I was horrified to realize that I was orbiting in the wrong direction! I almost reverted to launch to try again, but instead I decided to do what Jebediah would have done: I burnt retrograde until it became prograde! Problem solved, mission accomplished, and I got all three of them back to Kerbin with fuel to spare.

I landed on Duna and sent some rovers.

...what? It's not as good as your Single Stage to Tylo and Back spaceplane with no refueling no docking no cheating no nothing? ...stop making me feel bad, it's an achievement for me :c

Edited by Commissioner Tadpole
Changed Eeloo to Tylo, it sounds much harder to land on and take off.

Doing an Apollo-style mission to Ike, and returning back to Kerbin (okay, I ran out of fuel on the return trip, so I had to send a rescue craft and do a solar orbit rendezvous).

Either way, that's my only interplanetary mission with a return back to Kerbin. I have to try a Duna landing+return at some point.

In Jool system I've only landed a rover on Laythe. So there's certainly plenty to do. I haven't even managed to create a working SSTO plane yet.

Docking. I really felt like a BAWS when I learned to rendezvous and dock spacecraft together in orbit. It is pretty much the culmination of KSP piloting skill; it is possibly the most sophisticated maneuver one can perform in the game. From then on, there is nothing one can't do.

Landing Jeb and Bill on Eeloo with two rovers while Bob stayed in orbit waiting for the rendezvous, and safely returning them all to kerbin without rescue/refueling. Next stop Moho! (when i succeed in putting the massive vessel in orbit again, thats the hard part xD)

• 3 weeks later...

I have only been playing for two weeks or so, so my greatest achievement is less amazing in terms of monumental endeavour and is more about recovering, on the spot, from a series of failures and lacks of foresight. I'm playing career mode and I'm working on building a solid space station for refueling. Today, I decided to bring down my old space station because I have some new parts and better experience building. It only has two parts. the central hub with a manned piloting module and the habitation module that I had docked with it using a computer piloting module. I decided to do the re-entry burn together and separate upon entering atmosphere so I only have to do it once. I only need to get the single pilot down safely after all. The drone doesn't even have reentry safety chutes built in. It was intended to crash down. It all seems to be going according to plan up to this point. Upon entering atmosphere, I detach the two parts and lose control of the piloting module.

I had left my kerbal in the housing section.

Panicking, I immediately determine I'm going to have to do an EVA and safely guide him over. Not a problem. I can do that. At 65k I go to initiate an EVA.

The solar panels are blocking the hatch. I hadn't bothered to retract them. Again, why bother? They are just going to crash anyway.

I sit and wait as these things slooooooowwwwly retract. By the time I'm able to open the hatch I've dropped below 60k. The piloting module is only about 10m away though.

I let go of the ship, drift a lot faster than I expected, bounce off the safety of the piloting module and start gyrating away. I can't get the spinning to stop. I can't even get the EVA suit controls out. The still-thin atmosphere helped me a bit here by slowing down the spinning enough for me to get control though. I have drifted 60-70 meters away from the ship I need to reach though and I'm still falling through the atmosphere. I think I'm at about 50k at this point. I'm more distracted and panicked at this point so I wasn't checking as closely.

I slowly direct my way over to the shuttle. The hatch is on the other side of course. As I go up to come around the other side I see the other module is getting closer again. It is only about 7 meters away. Apparently, the weight and aerodynamics were causing it slow (it was ahead) a little faster than my other one. It is slowly moving to block my entry hatch. I propel myself down. Guide my Kerbal in towards the hatch, grab on, and enter at slightly over 40k. I'm cruising at over 2300m/s relative to the surface. I reorient my ship, burn retrograde to slow myself, and get away from the other module.

From there I land safely. Bob Kerman even took some soil samples of the highlands for me. I learned a lot of things about the importance of premaneuver checklists though.

Sorry for the mammoth post, but I'm really proud of this.

Docking with a spinning laboratory orbiting the Mun. The approaching craft only had an inline docking port, and I still had the big transfer stage attached, because I didn't want to waste the remaining fuel. The balance was so bad that translate maneuvers actually became something like half-translate and half-pitch/yaw.

Thanks. One of the best parts was that I was listening to ES Posthumus (they did music for movie trailers) so it was really intense and dramatic. I may need to rethink my maneuver checklist but getting the epic playlist going is an integral part of mission success.

I may someday make a memorial to commemorate the event. Bob Kerman is officially an EVA legend in my space program.

Whoa, I have plenty of great achievements! Well, in my terms, I'm no Space Rambo xD!

My first was getting to orbit. I was in the game tutorial, and it was talking about the radial decouplers, and how I could stick them along with boosters. I read the whole thing wrong and put 3 radial decouplers on the side of my single stage craft. I launched it, and, when I was about 5000m high, I staged and completely flipped the thing upside down. After that I discovered Scott Manley and became a real space engineer!, or something like that. Then I managed to get my first 3 staged rocket to orbit.

Second one was landing on the Mun after about 5 tries. I ran out of fuel the first 3 rockets I sent (I used the lander to get a Mun encounter, yeah, pretty dumb) and crashed two more times because I burned too low. The first touchdown was my biggest success at the time!

After that I landed on Minmus, but that isn't relevant. What is relevant is my trip to Duna! I sent some kind of Duna Base, so the rocket was enormous. Before that I managed to send 2 probes to test how parachutes worked there, and by doing that I avoided a catastrophe. And it was also my achievement of most badass looking spacecraft! :sticktongue:

Im kind of ashamed, but in that trip I was using MechJeb to make the planetary rendezvous. After that, now in Campaign mode, I sent a lightweight atmospheric lander (parachutes only) to Eve, and no MechJeb for anything! Then I was really proud! :D

A really impressive one was Jool's moons flyby plus landing on Laythe. I flew past all of them moons and sent the same lander I had sent to Eve, with tiny tiny tweaks, and, of course, more science, to land on Laythe. Unfortunately I landed on the seas...

My latest achievement was docking. I first forgot to put RCS on my second module, some kind of connector/adapter for attaching more spacecraft. Guess what: I nailed it with liquid fuel :confused:

After some attempts with RCS, I am now a pretty good docker!

And I guess that is all!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.