Mods included into stock game

kiwiak

All direct references to the idea here on the forums (and in the devblogs) have probably been eaten by the Great April Forum Crash, but I've been able to find correlating evidence that extraplanetary resource gathering and refining was on the cards, at least at some point in time. I don't know if that game plan has changed since then (although I'd imagine it has).

I really hate career mode now.

By the way what happened to the forum, what was that apocalypse that you are reffering to?

In the great Forum Purge of April 2013, all forum data between October 2012 and the time of the incident was lost. Permanently. Posts, accounts, everything. I was one of the victims. I can tell from your join date that you joined after this happened. You're lucky. For the rest of us it is an event we will never forget.

For the rest of us it is an event we will never forget.

It is a day that will live in infamy. Never forget. As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

But yeah, it was a really damaging incident, just because so much had happened in those six months. In this particular case, it means that all the discussion of the 0.19 resource system disappeared, so we can't give links to the official thread on the subject. But those of us who were here remember it, because it was a really big deal, and had a LOT of discussion about whether resources should be finite or infinite, the sizes of the necessary equipment, and so on.

Ideally, the developers would make a new thread about the subject in the near future, as they get ready to implement it. As big a deal as career mode is, the resource system would be the single most significant addition to the game in my opinion, as it'd completely change the nature of the game. Being able to refuel depots on-site would make travel to and from places like Laythe much more feasible, and would allow us to do all sorts of things that just aren't practical right now. So it'd be nice to hear more details about what the official system will entail; for instance, compare the resource diagram posted above to the screeshot showing resource scanning. There are several resources in that scanner that don't appear in the flowchart, so obviously the design wasn't completely set in stone when it was announced.

Yeah, I can definitely confirm the chart was posted by a developer as a model of what the resource system might be like. I believe they later mentioned, though, that it was probably too complex.

Whatever the resource/mining system ends up as being, I'm eager to see it. There's something about kethane that is both awkward to use (scanning!) and too simple.

That resource chart diagram was official. I saw it posted in another thread a couple of months back, and a developer posted a comment saying it's no longer relevant. Basically if resource mining is going ahead, it's going to be a lot simpler. Otherwise it's not going ahead.

I still think it will appear, but some way down the road.

Dunno if it'll have recorded the devblog stuff. If it has, that would be amazing, because yeah afaik a lot of it was probably lost the last time the forum went poof.

Probably. You can maneuver the site as it was on March 27: http://web.archive.org/web/20130327154041/http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum.php?

As far as I remember in some of the Weekly's after 0.19 or 0.20, the Devs were still working on the planetary resources system.

In a way, we're already collecting a new resource in the form of science, so I'm taking a wild guess that might have to do with the same system in some way or form.

But as already stated, it is a huge feature to add and not doing it correctly could be quite bad, but I'm fairly certain it'll pop up again down the line ;)

But as already stated, it is a huge feature to add and not doing it correctly could be quite bad, but I'm fairly certain it'll pop up again down the line ;)

This makes me mad and demonstrates that the current dev cycle and focusing are indeed bad, as I've said uncountable times.

Instead of having these 60 days cycles, they could have short cycles and include features and actual content in parts, getting community's feedback in the middle. But no, they decide to release half-features every 60 days and then leave them broken or half-completed for another 60 days.

60 days? I thought updates are ealeased in three month cycles.

well if its 60 days, new update shoudl be released soon.

but it will probably be focused on science anyway, so who cares (not me). i hope at least tweakables will be usefull.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.