BROKEN [0.90] TextureReplacer 2.1.2 (20.12.2014)

shaw

Firstly, great mod. :) You have my thanks.

I was just wondering if it would be possible to add support for directly passing .dds files from the Textures folder rather than .png/.tga/etc... Specifically 8.8.8.8 ARGB 32bpp unsigned .dds files presuming Unity/KSP supports that .dds format.

The reason I ask is that with DXT5 I'm getting some rather bad compression artifacts on the edges of shorelines, which 8.8.8.8 prevents entirely. Here's an in game example from an 8192x4096 version of Laythe I've been working on:

http://i.picpar.com/Gd4.png

And here's a cropped 16x zoom (different area than the above, but the issue is everywhere along the coasts) of the file that is artifacting, specifically the RGB of the newoceanmoon01 (.png, .tga, it gets compressed regardless) where the artifacting occurs.

Top is the source file (and also what a 8.8.8.8 .dds looks like since there is no compression), bottom is the DXT5 file with the artifacting:

http://i.picpar.com/Sd4.png

http://i.picpar.com/Td4.png

I'm hoping this is possible, either way I appreciate you looking into this.

Edited by zinfinion
Swapped inline pics to links.

@zinfinion: KSP/Unity doesn't seem to recognise DDS files. It ignores them when loading textures. Implementing a DDS loader isn't feasible, since Unity needs uncompressed image data to construct a texture, which eliminates the main advantage of DDS. A solution to your problem could be disabling texture compression (currently TR only disables compression if TextureCompressor is detected) and supplying your files as TGAs, because PNGs and JPEGs are automatically compressed to DXT5 by KSP. I think TextureCompressor (a.k.a. Active Memory Reduction Mod) supports selective compression of textures, you can specify in a configuration file which textures to exclude from compression.

@tygoo7: No.

@Shaw:

I just now thought of an idea for Kerbal texturing. I know you want Kerbals to have the same style each time, so they don't keep getting different hairstyles, suits, etc...

What if you use their names as a pigeonhole?

As an example:

You could have 5 different Kerbal head styles.

You use the first two letters, add them (ASCII value) together, and modulo by 5. Then use the modulo to index that head style. That way, the styles will be persistent between loads without a persistence file, and you would see a variety in the crew.

@Shaw:

I just now thought of an idea for Kerbal texturing. I know you want Kerbals to have the same style each time, so they don't keep getting different hairstyles, suits, etc...

What if you use their names as a pigeonhole?

As an example:

You could have 5 different Kerbal head styles.

You use the first two letters, add them (ASCII value) together, and modulo by 5. Then use the modulo to index that head style. That way, the styles will be persistent between loads without a persistence file, and you would see a variety in the crew.

Ah... I re-read your initial statement... You are trying to find the MAPPING between the name and actual textured object... That one is more tricky. Does the game object have a name? better yet, does the parent transform? (gameObject.transform.parent.name or gameObject.transform.parent.gameObject.name)

Anyone have any detailed instructions on how to get this working?

I have UniverseReplacer working - but I am getting lost with all of these file names that you are needing to change, etc.

All I want is the ability to basically move what I had in UniverseReplacer to this mod.

Greetings,

I'm having a terrible time with this mod. I have been trying 2.6 and now 2.7. No matter what combination of directories in the config or using the basic or adanced compression configs provides a very frustrating random hang and the occasional crash. I've added and deleted directories in the config, removed mods... you name it. I've gotten nowhere and I'm desperatly asking for help.

My testing procedure is as follows:

1. Copy my existing KSP directory to a test folder.

2. Remove the 1.1 version.

3. Copy over the 2.7 version. Basic or Advanced. No difference in outcome.

4. Add all parts directories to config.

5. Start game.

6. First start generally had a CTD.

Out of 20 start attempts I typically see this:

18 hangs on completly random parts.

1 CTD

1 sucessful start.

If or when the game actually does start I will close it and, WITHOUT MAKING ANY CHANGES WHAT SO EVER, will start the game again only to have it hange on a random part. AAAARRRRRGGGGG !!!!!

I don't know if makes any difference but I'm running B9, KW, KOSMOS, LLL, AIES, Kethane, Intersteller and RLA STockalike. All of these mods have the texture reduction packs installed if available.

Now before everyone gets their knickers in a twist, I'm not hitting the 3.5 GB memory limit. I've culled out most of the parts from these mods and typically have only 6 - 8 parts from each. My memory under 1.1 is right at 2.2 GB while sitting in the VAB.

OK... I've complained enough. I don't believe in complaining without having a solution or offering to find a solution to the problem. That being said, you tell me exactly what you need, how you need it and how to get it to you and I'll do everything in my power to see that it happens.

Best regards,

The Dude

I think you meant to post this here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-22-Release-1-Active-Memory-Reduction-Mod

Ah... I re-read your initial statement... You are trying to find the MAPPING between the name and actual textured object... That one is more tricky. Does the game object have a name? better yet, does the parent transform? (gameObject.transform.parent.name or gameObject.transform.parent.gameObject.name)

Thanks. I only tried to find a mapping from kerbals (souls) to scene models, but not the other way around (which is more likely to exist), because I didn't understand the scene and model hierarchy. Now I just found a way how to map EVAs to names. Now I'm going to investigate how to do the same for IVA.

Hi all! Fantastic mod! One of my favorites. But I'm working in a complete pack of suits and I've noticed that the texture and normal map for IVA helmets is not the same of EVA helmets (despite the description in replacement file names for the mod). At least no in the 0.23 version and/or for all capsules.

¿Anyone knows the true original names to replace these textures?

Thanks in any way, and excuse my rusty english!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

Only normal map is the same. And that's exactly what the description says.

Absolutely right. Please excuse me. A small mistake with a shift in a normal map name was creating a conflict with unexpected changes.

Edited by Proot

Hi all! Fantastic mod! One of my favorites. But I'm working in a complete pack of suits and I've noticed that the texture and normal map for IVA helmets is not the same of EVA helmets (despite the description in replacement file names for the mod). At least no in the 0.23 version and/or for all capsules.

¿Anyone knows the true original names to replace these textures?

Thanks in any way, and excuse my rusty english! :blush:

Only normal map is the same. And that's exactly what the description says.

Follow up question. Is there any inherent issue that prevents replacing only normal maps? I'd like to clean up Bop and Gilly's terrain but I am fine with their stock diffuse textures.

Presuming there is nothing preventing this, would it be possible to add support for this in a future update? Either way, I appreciate your excellent work on this mod.

Edit: After replacing the normal maps while keeping the stock diffuse textures, the macro blocking of those textures became readily obvious, so I'll be making some higher res diffuse textures.

So it's a non-issue now.

Edited by zinfinion

Follow up question. Is there any inherent issue that prevents replacing only normal maps? I'd like to clean up Bop and Gilly's terrain but I am fine with their stock diffuse textures.

Presuming there is nothing preventing this, would it be possible to add support for this in a future update? Either way, I appreciate your excellent work on this mod.

Edit: After replacing the normal maps while keeping the stock diffuse textures, the macro blocking of those textures became readily obvious, so I'll be making some higher res diffuse textures.

So it's a non-issue now.

I'll remove this limitation in the next version. It's just a (insignificant) performance optimisation from early versions when texture replacement pass was run every frame. Now, replacement is done only on a few occasion and code is much longer then, so that "optimisation" has even less much sense now.

Thanks for the per-Kerbal head textures. I've not had a chance to look at your code for that yet, but how difficult do you think it would be to extend the face functionality to include Suits/Helmets as well? Would it be just a couple lines added in the same place where you determine the face texture, or some entierly new block of code?

Thanks.