BROKEN [0.90] TextureReplacer 2.1.2 (20.12.2014)

shaw

TGAs are still not compressed with .23 natively. And once it is loaded into memory, there is no difference between compressing a PNG, MBM, or TGA. Squad simply moved most of their textures to MBM now, so only a few are left to be compressed. PNGs still don't create mipmaps.

I just got this mod for .23 and I downloaded a new texture for the sun. You can find it here :http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/44135-0-22-Universe-Replacer-v4-0?p=849201&viewfull=1#post849201

it's a .dds file, what exactly do I do with it? just plop it into "textures"? because the new sun isn't showing up

Instructions for dds replacement: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/44135-0-22-Universe-Replacer-v4-0?p=577857&viewfull=1#post577857

There's one texture that I'm not really certain if you can do anything with, apparently there are some sun flare texture modifications people have made but you have to edit the actual game data assets manually to make use of them. Perhaps it was just something Tinkle never got into, but is this something you might support with your mod?

Anywhere I can get a skybox and a cloudy Kerbin in TGA? I cant seem to find any in this format and I cant find a free image converter that I could use to convert the PNGs I already have. Thanks :)

GIMP allows you to export as TGA.

Thanks dude! I got it downloaded and will give it a try :D

Also, is there and way we can get a central and organized list of textures to use? Ive got a few, but just cant find what Im looking for. The reddit thing for universe replacer is where Ive been looking so far its just kinda confusing.

EDIT: Gimp is awesome! Super powerful image editing for a free program :D Thanks again for that!

Edited by Rassa Farlander

@Hyomoto: <strike>UR can replace ANY texture, no need to hack assets. You must just add a line like "internal_texture_name = texture_path" to UniverseReplacer.cfg. TR has hard-coded set of textures it replaces. I will add corona sometime soon.</strike> [Wrong. After trying to do this I finally read the instructions for hacking to the end. It says that it is not possible.]

@Franklin: Some people done benchmarks. Look back to page 4.

Edited by shaw

When I converted my skybox textures to TGA things got very weird. It had a mixture of panels on the sides of the universe! It mis-ordered them, and one side was blank... or if I installed TAC life support it had the lifesupport container texture on one wall of the universe! Do it as PNGs and it works fine.

Sure enough, the 8K pack found here would drop my FPS below 30 with UniverseReplacer, but my framerate hasn't budged below 60 when used through TextureReplacer. Fantastic mod.

I reorganized, renamed and zipped the above texturepack to make it easy to deposit into this new mod's folder as well, if anyone else wants it: http://www.mirrorupload.net/file/IKKW292Y/#!Textures.zip

JPEGs work file. KSP generates mipmaps and compresses them on load, which makes them superior to PNGs (missing mipmaps) and TGAs (no compression by default, you need this mod or Active Memory Reduction Mod to compress them). However, JPEG desn't support transparency and it's a lossy compression, so you may loose some details, especially if you don't set high enough quality when saving. And they're poor format for further editing since each time you edit and save a JPEG its quality gets worse compared to the original.

In short: use TGAs for normal maps, textures with transparency, textures that are meant for further editing by other users or when JPEG causes too much distortions. In other cases, you can use JPEGs.

Edited by shaw

I'm thinking about swapping from Universe Replacer to this mod. I have a few questions though... Mainly, the first post says that the Active Memory Reduction mod has been merged into this plugin. Is there any conflict if I'm using this along with the most recent version of the standalone Active Memory Reduction plugin?

Edited by FenrirWolf

@Fenrirwolf: No conflict. TR only enables texture compression if AMR mod is not present. And even if it wasn't, there should be no conflict, just some duplicated work.

@Daze: check uppercase/lowercase letters in file names and look in log what TR says.