Is KSP becoming like Minecraft?

iDan122

are the devs doing the right thing right now?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. are the devs doing the right thing right now?

• Yes, the devs need to listen to what we think
    • No, KSP is going the right way

Sorry Alguien but i highly doubt they relayed resources becaus of Kethane. All they showed us was much more complex and had more elementan than only one. They stopped it to focus on the basic gameplay which was (and if you ask me, is) still not finished.

I think the devs are on the right track. There's a difference between valuing a community, which Squad obviously does, and bowing to the community's every whim, which thankfully Squad does not.

Squad has managed to put together a game which I have played over 500 hours. They have created a game that's extraordinarily challenging, yet I've never found it frustrating as even the failures are fun.

Since the game is sandbox complete, I am not expecting any additional parts or other additions. I am looking forward to seeing career mode fleshed out. So far, I think they are doing a great job.

This poll makes no sense.

Anyway, i think we can all agree that the last few updates contained less game changing features than most updates before .21. The campaign is neat and all, but it is pretty much the same as sandbox mode, but delayed by 5 flights. Also, it does not nearly have the same impact on gameplay as (for example) docking, EVA or planets have. Personally i think that it would be better to focus on the core gameplay features (like resources, or aerodynamics) before making gamemodes and other fluff.

Science is obviously part of real gameplay changes, but currently it comes down to doing what we were doing before we had science, and now we press a couple of buttons extra.

Edited by NeMeSiS

I have noticed all the rocket parts are looking more like blocks, and all my kerbals carry a pickaxe and shovel. Also, the planet is becoming square!

All jokes aside, I think people are putting waaaaay to much thought into this, it is a wonderful game and so is minecraft, I avidly play both. It seems that every time an update comes out someone will be unsatisfied and many will complain. Which is understandable, it means people really care about the game. Regardless, people need to chill out.

This poll makes no sense.

Anyway, i think we can all agree that the last few updates contained less game changing features than most updates before .21. The campaign is neat and all, but it is pretty much the same as sandbox mode, but delayed by 5 flights. Also, it does not nearly have the same impact on gameplay as (for example) docking, EVA or planets have. Personally i think that it would be better to focus on the core gameplay features (like resources, or aerodynamics) before making gamemodes and other fluff.

Exactly. The later updates pales in comparision to what a simple update like adding docking ports, rover wheels and such added to the game.

My opinion: there are three kinds of features they can add. Two of then are not ideal.

First is adding more of the same content: new parts, new planets, etc. While this will entertain players for a little bit longer, ultimately the novelty wears ofthend players find themselves back where they started demanding more stuff to be added.

Second is that they develop new features that in no way enhance the restof the game. This is how I feel about multiplayer. KSP is and always has been a single player game. That is what allows you to have so much freedom to create your own universe. You don't need to compete or try to work around other people who don't see the game in the same way you do. Multiplayer brings nothing to the experience. It enhances nothing that is already there. It doesn't draw the player deeper into the game.

Adding new features should be about enhancing gameplay. Not bringing new gameplay in out of nowhere. That's not to say that new parts or planets can't be added if they contribute something new,as with the RAPIERs. New planets can be added, but it would make for more interesting gameplay and challenge progression if they were in another star system for example.Many of the more popular mods that exist now do that, and are therefore good candidates to be stock gameplay. Things like Kethane and KAS and FAR and deadly reentry. They already fit perfectly within the scope of gameplay, and add to the challenge of the game without being mandatory in their adherence (well, FAR and DR do but they don't do anything new players wouldn't expect in the stock game).

I disagree with the tone and approach of the OP, though I do think the development of KSP needs some refocusing. Not completing features (seriously when is the Mk. 3 cockpit going to get a stock interior?) and adding new ones that don't add anything to existing gameplay (I like the tech tree but the current implementation of science gathering is laughably unrealistic and exploitable) won't do anything to improve the quality of the game.

Perhaps the best approach wouldn't be to add new features, or gameplay modes, but to stop adding new things entirely and polishing/completing what is already there. Build up before you build out, so you end up with a tidy, beautiful metropolis of a sandbox rather than a sprawling, innavigable shanty town.

Dear OP.

Im sorry you are not entertained with career mode, as much as many of us are. I know I LOVE career mode, although I think the tech tree could be tweaked an ITTY BITTY bit, but that can be easily remedied with a mod. Now with career mode, I pretty much only use sandbox as a tool to learn how to get to other planets reliably, getting proper phase angles, etc. I also feel optimization of code is a KEY to a well polished game and Im very happy with what squad did to help OUR playing experience.

Your statement regarding it taking "literally like two days to make one" is baseless. I think that to support said statement, you should go develop a planet, do all the coding, properly match the collision messes *insert dev. mumbo jumbo* and come back on say, the 27th or the 28th and present it to us as a mod. where we can test it. Also we would like you to include a few biomes and science as well.

As for multiplier I am not sure how I feel about it, however I will be open to exploring it. I would like to have seen a resource system, but even with kethane it adds a metric buttload of complexity. And if you are still unhappy then just stop playing the game man. No need to beat others down telling them they aren't doing a good job when you are the one unhappy with the game. Maybe try Orbiter or something.

And to everyone else, have a Merry Christmas and enjoy the holidays!

John

I am a programmer and I know how difficult it is and making a planet is very easy.

It is becoming like minecraft not as a game, but rather as how is it being directed, and here we fall again in the "Pulling a notch" thing. They are sacrificing the people that is here since day 0 in order to satisfy the ignorant ones that don't even want to look at the tutorials and ask for an easier game and warp/alcubierre drives or "auto dock if vessel is in 1km range".

They seem to be sacrificing the people they promised the world to in order to grab more money from those that prefer shooting rockets at each other. They seem to dislike complex features after fully developing them and teasing them as if it was their biggest wish to become true. They seem to prefer catering to the LOL SO KERBAL XD people rather than outright admiting what they already said: The theme of the game was never explosions and/or kerbals being -less than average- engineers.

What I regret the most is that this is going to work. That they can pull a notch and get away with it and not succumb to the hate coming from th handful of people they are betraying.

And before any of you feet lickers post the EULA, yes, I agreed to them being able to do this, but that doesn't mean they are getting away with it without any complaint on my part.

Is it like minecraft? Not -yet-.

Are the devs pulling a notch? It seems so.

Edited by KasperVld

Resources mining is not happening guys. Maybe HarvesteR was not clear in his choice of words, but the mining part will not be included with the current flow of ideas of the devs. Other stuff involving resources may be implied, but no mining is currently planned.

"mining is not currently planned" != "Resource mining is not happening"

So, again, this is why we get confused about what information the moderators get, because some say they don't get inside information, and others make concrete statements about what's going on inside SQUAD.

SQUAD and their moderators need to get this stuff straight.

Sorry Alguien but i highly doubt they relayed resources becaus of Kethane

Actually they did, it was pretty much "we try to make them more simple, then we realized we were making kethane"

Ask Max, he is the one who told me

Why are we discussing this right now? Recently, the game went through many technical improvements and is currently in a transitional stage between optimizations and the upcoming career mode (which had been planned for months).

Seriously. We don't need to quantify the community's support of the developers. If you have a serious issue with KSP's, then send squad a polite email.

Or, as others mentioned, at least make the thread more neutral and open to other opinions.

One way or another, I don't think this needs to be a conversation.

Look OP this game is very young and has a huge mountain to climb. We are in Alpha. We cannot hope to know what the ultimate final product will be. What the devs say will or will not be in game right now is not final. I cannot be. Why? Simple it may change based on how things progress as we go. Stop being alarmist.

Look OP this game is very young and has a huge mountain to climb. We are in Alpha. We cannot hope to know what the ultimate final product will be. What the devs say will or will not be in game right now is not final. I cannot be. Why? Simple it may change based on how things progress as we go. Stop being alarmist.

As much as a disagree with OP stating that it is like minecraft, there is no way they can put in all the missing features in just one "year".

There are plenty of parts even that should be in stock game, like things like for example hinges, ball bearing and so on. To make for example a proper shuttle in stock you really need those parts.

What we so far know about career mode also suggest that rovers, probes, stations and colonies will not be very useful. The last change to science even made rovers even less useful than they were before. There is just no way they can add all these features+multiplayer in just a year or so.

And no mods dosent cut it.. Take for example the ball bearing mod i use.. Afaik it has not been updated in ages and is dependent on infernal robotics since it is basically a hacked rotatron. Last patch completely broke this mod for me making the game crash after just a few launches if i have a ball bearing hooked up to any of my ships.

Mods will also nearly always be inferior compared to someone who have access to the source code and can make the needed changes in game code to make it work properly without any hacks.

Edit: I also forgot to add that it is near impossible to share modded crafts or persistance files. You cant simply share your craft with these mods since most modders wont allow that, so if you want to share some creation of yours they have to find these mods and download them all one by one manually.

Also the multiplayer part will probably be impossible to play with mods.

Edited by boxman

I'm closing this thread before it starts going in circles again. A word, though, if I may.

Whether you guys realize it or not, Squad actually takes the popular opinion of the community very seriously. In the short time I've been here, I've personally witnessed how much the community opinion has been taken into consideration on things. However, at the end of the day, it's still Squad's game to make. While community opinion is certainly in play, please respect the fact that the devs also have their own vision for the game and are hard at work making that happen, all the while trying to keep you happy in the same process - all over a long term period of time. Whether you agree with certain decisions or disagree with them, the fact that you are still here, making your voice heard means the world. It matters.