[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

I'm having a new problem now with RF insufficient resources to ignite everytime I try to launch a Rocket using an LR87 series engine with an alternate config it fails to ignite and gives me the insufficient resources to ignite error. Any ideas? help?

Thanks

Update: I don't know if this is a bug or a design feature...I couldn't ignite an LR87 in any config but other engines seemed to work ok. I didn't try them all though. Disabling engine igniter in realsettings.cfg seems to have fixed the issue but then all EI is disabled now.

Edited by Lazy8

Hi, I would like to make the Near Future Propulsion and Construction tanks RF compatible and need some advice on how to do this properly. NFP tanks are balanced against stock, so some significant changes to volumes and dry masses are needed. I thought about using the BalloonCryo tank type for the Hydrogen tanks and the ElectricPropulsion tank type for Argon/Xenon tanks, that should at least ensure mass ratios that are in line with procedural parts. If the mass ratios are fine, getting the volume exactly right would not be absolutely crucial, so a very simple method would be attempting to balance against PP tanks of similar dimensions.

Near future construction (RF has configs for those, but they are very outdated) is problematic: It's tanks use interstellar fuel switch to change their appearance and content, and while that would be fine for tanks that do not necessarily need to be able to hold different fuels, some (eg. servicemodule, "liquid fuel") should really get a ModuleFuelTanks - which IFS does not support currently. Options I see here are: Ditching tanks that need to hold varied fuels and keep using IFS with the rest or ditching IFS and creating separate part.cfgs - giving all the customization but cluttering the part catalog. Oh, and I have no idea how to go on about doing #2.

Suggestions, feedback and ideas greatly appreciated.

B9 Aerospace had the same issue (it was Firespitter's part switcher, but same logic). In that case, the FS switcher was dropped, and the mesh switcher was left. You essentially nuke the MODULE that makes the switch available. For example: B9_Aerospace-MFT-RF.cfg. You'd at this point just need to pick a type (or if you're indecisive, you can always use typeAvailable variables to add more, link to example here), and figure out the volume.

EDIT: Meant to answer this:

Where can I make this change?

Should be in RealSettings.cfg, in the Ullage{} node. It's near the bottom of the file.

For all: Can someone describe the different solid fuels, now that we have more than just a SolidFuel resource? I want to make use of those in Stockalike's solid motors, but I wanted to make sure I was in the ballpark before randomly assigning fuels to SRMs.

Edited by Raptor831

For the ignitions and ullage to work, you need the pre-release stockalike config from the repository.

Nathan,

Would it be possible for the ignitions/ullage to be RPM integrated, like engine ignitor? Thanks for your great work!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, slight problem, my procedural parts tanks aren't costing anything.

For the ignitions and ullage to work, you need the pre-release stockalike config from the repository.

Nathan,

Would it be possible for the ignitions/ullage to be RPM integrated, like engine ignitor? Thanks for your great work!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, slight problem, my procedural parts tanks aren't costing anything.

Never mind still doesn't work

Never mind still doesn't work

I'm still working on the full switchover. Alphabetically by config file, the first half should be done, but anything in the bottom half of the files probably hasn't gotten there yet. It'll be there soon, though!

B9 Aerospace had the same issue (it was Firespitter's part switcher, but same logic). In that case, the FS switcher was dropped, and the mesh switcher was left. You essentially nuke the MODULE that makes the switch available. For example: B9_Aerospace-MFT-RF.cfg. You'd at this point just need to pick a type (or if you're indecisive, you can always use typeAvailable variables to add more, link to example here), and figure out the volume.

That is a great suggestion and working splendidly. Now the only tanks left are from NFP. I already made something some time ago that is playable, but it is kind of a sloppy job and probably not that suited for inclusion into RF at this point. Using ModuleFuelTanks should at least ensure balance with regards to dV, but there are big differences in volumes between NFP argon and xenon and RF procedural parts tanks of equal dimensions.

Is it just me or has the last update/s to real fuels broken loads of mods. Whenever I launch a new vessel the tanks include both the real fuels and regular ksp liquid fuel / oxidizer even though I have purposefully removed them. Also the dry mass of tanks seems wrong its using regular ksp mass values rather than rss/ro. This seems to affect at least FASA, the laztek SpaceX mod and a mod I'm currently working on.

Yes, I had to remove the tweakables buttons for engine config changing.

Would it be possible to reintroduce these tweakables, or at least some kind of indicator to the fuel config and engine level in the right click menu? It was a really convenient and fast way to check if your engine is configured correctly.

Would it be possible to reintroduce these tweakables, or at least some kind of indicator to the fuel config and engine level in the right click menu? It was a really convenient and fast way to check if your engine is configured correctly.

Please don't :). I love the lessened clutter in the menu. Going to the action group tab is a great alternative to quickly config and check engines and tanks. Not to mention mechjeb/KER for delta V bring off if fuels are mis configured. Looking forward to the next updated. Ullage just seen off when I can't even start an engine in atmosphere hot staging and all. It reads stable then tells me vapor in the lines as soon as I engage it. Hope this isn't as intended.

I've looked around and didn't have any luck finding one but does anyone know if the is something out there that allows the ISRU converter to work with real fuels?

I don't think there will be. RealFuels would likely necessitate real chemical reactions. With "Ore" being just as fantasy as mithral or dragon blood :rolleyes:. A RealISRU is in the works afaik though.

Alrighty then, guess I'll have to start digging some and try and find a somewhat good real world analogy and do some coding. Figured I would ask if someone had already built the wheel before doing it again. Thanks for the quick reply!

If you want realism, RealISRU as mentioned by Svm420 is your best bet. If you just want KSP's cartoony version to work with RF, you can write MM patches to do what you want.

Ok, so I created a thread for this a couple of days ago but I didn't post a link in this thread, so here it is:

This is the heat pump from prior versions of Real Fuels but updated for KSP 1.x.x

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/128502-Heat-Pumps-for-Real-Fuels-v1-0-BETA-RC1-7-12-2015

Its purpose is to prevent boiloff of cryogenic propellants and must be attached to the part it protects.

It probably still needs some balancing and the sole part in it is scaled for stock+RF. For RO it would need electrical consumption bumped up. (NASA/GRC say about 114 watts electrical per watt of heat removed).

It's configured for a flat rate and automatically drains an additional amount of heat equal to skin-internal conduction + part+part conduction. (the base rate is to provide some refrigeration capability and can help lower temps on tanks that have been heated but its primary purpose is to compensate for conducted heat)

Timewarps from 1000x use a different temperature system and will instantly increase tank internal temperature, which is a problem that has not been addressed. (it probably should be dealt with in RF but maybe I'll think of something for Heat Pump)

Hi community and NathanKell :)

First of all thanky you Nathan for your work and for this great community wich always tries to help.

I own KSP since early access, played it a lot then but appr. one year ago, I lost focus on this game. I am a youtube follower of Scott Manley so I was always up to date. His recent vid introducing CKAN (what a great relief) gave me the kick to retry KSP.

I installed RSS and RO and all the other addons mentioned in Scotts video and hopped in. Starting a new career on medium and Mün, or better now Moon or bust. :)

Soon I encountered a few problems and I would be really thankful if I could get a little help or hints.

- unthrottelable engines

how do I fine-tune my ascend or orbital maneuvers? I have the sowjet engines too but theres a little problem in career-mode. Either your engine is too weak to carry all the fuel for an orbit delta-v or it is too strong (2.3 TWR+ on first stage) and the rocket is unstable and loses control. Asparagus is not yet possible, fuel struts are a bit later in tech tree. And orbital maneuvers? Sometimes you only want to tap the throttle a bit to make fine maneuvers. RCS could be a solution but, again, the good ones come later in tech tree :)

How do you handle that? Maybe the solution is pretty simple but I am still a newb at KSP especially RSS and RO, RF.

Sorry for the long post, in other media is the custom to present a potatoe :)

Regards

Hirschi

It reads stable then tells me vapor in the lines as soon as I engage it. Hope this isn't as intended.

I'm having the same issue, engine shows very stable status but then tell "vapor in the lines" when fires. Terrible situation with limited ignitions :)

I'm having the same issue, engine shows very stable status but then tell "vapor in the lines" when fires. Terrible situation with limited ignitions :)

Well it maybe working as intended now. I was able to hot stage without in going unstable. I am not sure though as I have no knowledge on the subject.

I have a complete installation of 1.0.4 w/ RSS & RO + required, supported, and suggested mods running on Ubuntu 14.04LTS. I'm having an issue where, as my ATLAS V is going transonic, at almost exactly 346m/s, the RD-180 will shutdown saying that there is Vapor in the Feedlines. Is there any reason this would be happening while the rocket is under full thrust and steady acceleration? Is this an intended effect of Real Fules?

Cheer and thanks!