InfiniteDice -=Skillful=- Combat Damage & Weapons Mod

InfiniteDice

spaceport download is updated. Please completely remove the old files then install the new stuff. A lot of small things were changed in this update.

Don't have time to go over it all i'll fill in the details later, busy day today!

As usual note any issues here. Enjoy! :)

yippee! Be there in a sec! :D :d

I can't seem to figure out how parts become damaged. I've fired at a parked stock-part jet until I emptied my clips but it doesn't appear to be taking any damage at all. Does damage only apply to certain parts?

I can't seem to figure out how parts become damaged. I've fired at a parked stock-part jet until I emptied my clips but it doesn't appear to be taking any damage at all. Does damage only apply to certain parts?

It applies to all parts. Did you add an IFF part to the vessels? :)

Thanks for the fast reply! I had placed one on my plane, but had to remove it because it would fall apart on the runway once the IFF did its initial save. Is the IFF part required for any damage at all or only to save vessel damage when a save is reloaded?

I'm also having issues with this mod killing my engines and SRBs without them even starting to overheat.

Download the new files. I've tested this a bunch of times you now have till about 50% of the heat bar to respond.

Just in case someone mentions SRB's can't be throttled back - that's why you should probably design the craft so the SRB's are spaced out enough so they don't overheat.

KSP goes from 0 damage.. to 100% destroyed. I'm intercepting the part being destroyed at about 85% of the parts max temperature. And this doesn't immediately mean that the engine is totally gone. It could turn yellow and start a fire, then still be fixed.

Thanks for the fast reply! I had placed one on my plane, but had to remove it because it would fall apart on the runway once the IFF did its initial save. Is the IFF part required for any damage at all or only to save vessel damage when a save is reloaded?

I would have it on all vessels you want to respond to damage correctly. The problem is with stock parts, I need to force them to be Skillful parts - doing so requires an IFF be present. If you edited every single stock part to have an Skillful module, then the IFF would never be needed - except for threat identification.

BTW I've never seen a vessel fall apart... you can watch all my videos - I have a bunch of them. Not one has fallen apart from placing an IFF tag on them. Let me know what other mods you have installed.

Hey ID, I downloaded the newest version just a bit ago. The update no longer allows me to attach bombs/rockets to the plane, when I select "load ordnance" nothing happens. (I had this mod working pre-update)

mods I am using: firespitter, your boat parts mod, mechjeb.

I would have it on all vessels you want to respond to damage correctly. The problem is with stock parts, I need to force them to be Skillful parts - doing so requires an IFF be present. If you edited every single stock part to have an Skillful module, then the IFF would never be needed - except for threat identification.

BTW I've never seen a vessel fall apart... you can watch all my videos - I have a bunch of them. Not one has fallen apart from placing an IFF tag on them. Let me know what other mods you have installed.

I'm currently only using the Firespitter parts pack besides yours. My recreation of the ShinMaywa US-2 using a combination of stock and Firespitter parts tends to load incorrectly, resulting in the wings and propellers falling off the fuselage.

Hey ID, I downloaded the newest version just a bit ago. The update no longer allows me to attach bombs/rockets to the plane, when I select "load ordnance" nothing happens. (I had this mod working pre-update)

mods I am using: firespitter, your boat parts mod, mechjeb.

Crafts should be loaded. REMOVE all skillful guns/hardpoints... then re-add them and they should work. It's possible out of date persistent data is in the craft file you saved with the old version.

Skillful parts use a lot of persistent data. Using anything from a previous version is a surefire way to get loads of problems. Essentially this means you should load up any old craft files, remove ALL skillful parts and then add new copies of those parts back where they used to be, then save. That should put all new instances of the parts on your vessel.

Edited by InfiniteDice

InfiniteDice, I found a bug you might want to fix. In IDskillfulIFF.cs

if (FlightGlobals.fetch.vesselTargetMode == VesselTargetModes.None)

{

foreach (Part p in Vessel.Parts) // Test

{

p.gameObject.physicsJoint.Destroy();

//Print("Successfully replaced node attachment " + p.name);

}

}

}

Source

Edited by Snjo

Hey i just got done playing with some air to air combat and i experienced some issues.

(air-air conditions i was facing) i was using mechjeb to hold the enemy plane at ~1000m while i came up behind it and fired away.

1. Most of my missiles just started a corkscrew pattern around the enemy plane.

2. once i switched vessels in the middle of firing my missiles and they came to the sending plane and hit it.

3. While firing my missiles my plane tends to dip due to the weight displacement and unevenness. (could you lighten the zephyer weights a little.)

These may just be my problems but its always good to let you know.

Hey i just got done playing with some air to air combat and i experienced some issues.

(air-air conditions i was facing) i was using mechjeb to hold the enemy plane at ~1000m while i came up behind it and fired away.

1. Most of my missiles just started a corkscrew pattern around the enemy plane.

2. once i switched vessels in the middle of firing my missiles and they came to the sending plane and hit it.

3. While firing my missiles my plane tends to dip due to the weight displacement and unevenness. (could you lighten the zephyer weights a little.)

These may just be my problems but its always good to let you know.

1) I suggest firing from a minimum distance of 1km. They tend to corkscrew when they don't have enough time to accelerate before they track. If you watch the air-air video I made you'll see the last missile hit there was no corkscrewing as it had a little more lead time. Try it out again and let me know how it goes. The Zephyr is easily good out to 5km, while tracking behind a moving target that range of course is reduced. I never really intended any of these to be air-air missiles.

2) Switching vessels while a rocket/missile is in flight isn't supported, they have no memory, they track whatever the active vessels target is. This may change, a new missile might have this capability.

3) I can't really do that as they are all weighted accordingly. The Zephyr is 0.085 mass, which equates to 80kg or 176lbs. I think it might actually be a little light for the damage it does. Any load reduction will cause this, but not just the load, the reduction in drag also has an effect. My advice is try to mount the rocket hardpoint as close to the center of mass as possible in the lengthwise axis. This means the center of mass for the vessel will not change as much once dropped - therefore not affect pitch change in the firing aircraft. Another tip is, try making your aircraft a bit heavier. Before fuel and before any other dispensable mass is added balance the aircraft empty. Then add dispensable mass and try to distribute evenly. Dropped mass has less effect on an aircraft if the aircraft itself has more mass to begin with.

Edited by InfiniteDice

Hey ID ive encountered a similar problem to another person a few posts ago where I am no longer able to turn any turrets. I can fire them which is nice but I cant turn them which is annoying. Now whenever I press the controls on the keypad they either move the screen up and down or put the ui away. Did I press a wrong button?:huh: Or is it a bug? I cant tell to be honest.

Hey ID ive encountered a similar problem to another person a few posts ago where I am no longer able to turn any turrets. I can fire them which is nice but I cant turn them which is annoying. Now whenever I press the controls on the keypad they either move the screen up and down or put the ui away. Did I press a wrong button?:huh: Or is it a bug? I cant tell to be honest.

You likely turned off your NumLock.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.