InfiniteDice -=Skillful=- Combat Damage & Weapons Mod

InfiniteDice

i think its the latest version and i put IDSkillfulR1 in GameData.

When unpacking it's likely you doubled the directory... so check under IDSkillfulR1, there should be Parts, Effects etc.

GameData ---> IDSkillfulR1 ---> Plugins

NOT:

GameData ---> IDSkillfulR1 ---> IDSkillfulR1 ---> Plugins

Beyond that, I'm unsure what could be the issue.

I'm having a problem were I keep getting direct hits on a target but it goes right through. Also I fired guided missiles at it which dissapeared when they got with in a few meters. Any ideas on what's going on?

Did you put an IFF tag on the ship, i had the exact same problem, the IFF tag is what enables part damage... And make sure its an enemy IFF tag, like if you have one that is red make the other one blue, or dont put one on your craft at all..hope it helped :D

The next update will have enhanced heat damage.

In progress: I'm also working on a heat seeking warhead. I'll also be moving the sea-mines from R4 over to Skillful, this will introduce timed bombs as one is contact, the other is a limpet mine with a timed fuse. With this comes the possibility that things like satchel charges could be dropped by EVA kerbal commandos. Lastly will be artillery/flak which will fire an 88mm projectile.

After these R1 is done, and additional items will not be seen until R2. R2 will be the futuristic weapons pack (possibly some other stuff as well).

Edited by InfiniteDice

That and do we really think kerbals are all that advanced?

There are a number of mods that are space based and would do well to have some weapons designed for space, I want to fill that void with Skillful R2.

They will be ranging from not very advanced to futuristic. They will all have limits and will keep in-line with other skillful delivery systems. One thing it will do is concentrate more on combat in space.

My goal isn't to make anything one shot kill, or so accurate that it hits every single time. If you look at star wars... supposedly advanced but man do they miss a LOT! Star trek is by far more advanced as they never really miss they always hit but many times fail to penetrate shields.

I already have code for force-fields - working but not complete. I'll be adding some futuristic space torpedoes reminiscent of photon torpedoes. And blaster type weapons that shoot bolts (like star wars turbo lasers), I'm not doing solid lasers. Being that the kerbals are not very advanced means they will be a bit wonky in looks and likely not very reliable. Don't expect canon items from popular Sci-fi.

I haven't made much for space and it's a space game afterall. I'll suggest that if anyone doesn't want to use them, don't :) But they'll be so cool.. I'm sure you'll like them.

Edited by InfiniteDice

Really impressive mod, this is a really good job for a first release. ^^

Just a thought, but upon doing some reading, this mod seems heavily orientated around a all-but-non-existant multiplayer, though file sharing.

Try looking at this mod: http://sesau.ca/ksp/KMP.html

A collaboration could give some great results...

Should be at least half decent since it took me more than 3 months of spare time. Haha... :)

This mod doesn't in any way support multiplayer. What I've striven for is a decent single player experience whereby you take turns between factions. It could easily be used pseudo pbem... trading a file back and forth if people were so determined.

I don't think I'd have time to support anything other than an official multiplayer. Not that I dislike KMP in any way I think it's great. I just can't take the time to code for something that might change, I really have no choice with things that are in the base game, as it's there regardless. Then I'd get into supporting two totally different multiplayer variants. Also I haven't really made up my mind if Skillful will ever support stock multiplayer even when it comes out... as I don't know how squad will implement it, or how much of it will be open for change being Skillful bypasses many KSP mechanics.

Forcefields should be Fun. I assume they have a tolerance, like armor, and fail when you punch through?

Also, Kerbals may not be super-advanced, but they *did* manage to build ion drives. and LV-Ns. and super-reaction wheels. And stuff. :)

There are a number of mods that are space based and would do well to have some weapons designed for space, I want to fill that void with Skillful R2.

They will be ranging from not very advanced to futuristic. They will all have limits and will keep in-line with other skillful delivery systems. One thing it will do is concentrate more on combat in space.

My goal isn't to make anything one shot kill, or so accurate that it hits every single time. If you look at star wars... supposedly advanced but man do they miss a LOT! Star trek is by far more advanced as they never really miss they always hit but many times fail to penetrate shields.

I already have code for force-fields - working but not complete. I'll be adding some futuristic space torpedoes reminiscent of photon torpedoes. And blaster type weapons that shoot bolts (like star wars turbo lasers), I'm not doing solid lasers. Being that the kerbals are not very advanced means they will be a bit wonky in looks and likely not very reliable. Don't expect canon items from popular Sci-fi.

I haven't made much for space and it's a space game afterall. I'll suggest that if anyone doesn't want to use them, don't :) But they'll be so cool.. I'm sure you'll like them.

I'm sure I'll LOVE them

Should be at least half decent since it took me more than 3 months of spare time. Haha... :)

This mod doesn't in any way support multiplayer. What I've striven for is a decent single player experience whereby you take turns between factions. It could easily be used pseudo pbem... trading a file back and forth if people were so determined.

I definitely get a kick out of this mod. I, for one, would just host a shared KSP folder and take turns running the game. [RANT]I feel like people don't understand that you can follow self imposed rules or guidelines to enhance a game. It gets tiresome. Sometimes I want to point people to a required 'Imagination' download that is just an empty thread titled 'Imagine whatever you want in this space... now apply to mod in question'.[/RANT]

One thing I think you need to do is put some scenarios (or just save files if scenarios are a pain, I have no idea) up for download in the OP. I would suggest also that you offer to include other player's challenges as well. Short term I think it would be good for your mod and help people get off of the 'must have multiplayer' mentality. Distant objectives for my mod include the distribution of unique scenarios; abandoned bases, lonely spaceports, unique parts not accessible in the VAB.

Maybe some hard sci-fi weapons (recoilless kinetic, PPCs and nuclear lasers, for example) then? I'm sick of this laser-pewpew things in different "space fantasy" settings.

EDIT: Ah, yes, "force fields"... Maybe armor plating more suitable for ships?

Edited by KAPbl4

I definitely get a kick out of this mod. I, for one, would just host a shared KSP folder and take turns running the game. [RANT]I feel like people don't understand that you can follow self imposed rules or guidelines to enhance a game. It gets tiresome. Sometimes I want to point people to a required 'Imagination' download that is just an empty thread titled 'Imagine whatever you want in this space... now apply to mod in question'.[/RANT]

Yeah, but that's difficult and nobody bothers with it if there's, you know, proper game mechanics that cater for it. It's a last resort thing.

If there weren't any flight sims that covered commercial airliners people would probably play combat flight sims with the enemies disabled and pretend they were flying a 747 instead of a spitfire.

Edited by comham

Yeah, but that's difficult and nobody bothers with it if there's, you know, proper game mechanics that cater for it. It's a last resort thing.

If there weren't any flight sims that covered commercial airliners people would probably play combat flight sims with the enemies disabled and pretend they were flying a 747 instead of a spitfire.

Difficult for whom? Because 'proper game mechanics' don't just appear with a bit of wishful thinking. Additionally that is a pretty subjective way of putting things. InfiniteDice has proper game mechanics for what he originally set out to do. If someone else isn't satisfied it doesn't change his goals. God forbid a player actually contribute any effort to achieve the gameplay they want.

As for actual games.... people sell those. It's one thing to moan endlessly to developers about a game you've purchased; it's another to keep demanding major changes to a mod that's been made in someone's free time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.