InfiniteDice -=Skillful=- Combat Damage & Weapons Mod

InfiniteDice

Difficult for whom? Because 'proper game mechanics' don't just appear with a bit of wishful thinking. Additionally that is a pretty subjective way of putting things. InfiniteDice has proper game mechanics for what he originally set out to do. If someone else isn't satisfied it doesn't change his goals. God forbid a player actually contribute any effort to achieve the gameplay they want.

As for actual games.... people sell those. It's one thing to moan endlessly to developers about a game you've purchased; it's another to keep demanding major changes to a mod that's been made in someone's free time.

Finally someone with common sense!

To be honest I think space weapons will be a great idea! The idea of having laser/pulse weapons mounted on turrets really sounds exciting. Also I do really think the kerbals should be given handheld weapons and satchel charges. It would make for great commando missions or sabotages. ALSO we need MAC guns (magnetically accelerated cannons) or magnetically accelerated MGs for space cause that would be awesome

Edited by Frostbenjamin

Space weapons would be fine, but after a while, it gets a bit too Sci - Fi and there are force fields and yamato-cannons. Remember, this has to be based on skill. Force fields need to bee like the shields in Star Trek, where they require lots of electricity to run and each one only protects the ship from a certain angle, and they can be depleted. Also, lasers are fine, but they need skill to aim, like the 30 cal right now. Space torpedoes (and air to air missiles) should have to take a while to "lock on" like in Top Gun.

ID, if you ever do add a yamato-cannon, (a Great idea ;) ) make it have to charge up a lot of energy for one shot, and be heavy.

Edited by 736

Space weapons would be fine, but after a while, it gets a bit too Sci - Fi and there are force fields and yamato-cannons. Remember, this has to be based on skill. Force fields need to bee like the shields in Star Trek, where they require lots of electricity to run and each one only protects the ship from a certain angle, and they can be depleted. Also, lasers are fine, but they need skill to aim, like the 30 cal right now. Space torpedoes (and air to air missiles) should have to take a while to "lock on" like in Top Gun.

ID, if you ever do add a yamato-cannon, (a Great idea ;) ) make it have to charge up a lot of energy for one shot, and be heavy.

Lol I could just imagine seeing these repurposed for use on the ground to wipe out tank columns

that woul be AWESOME!!!!!!!:D

Amazing work sir.

However, launching rockets with KW Rocketry engines and solid boosters is hard because the engine somehow keeps getting damaged. I make sure the thrust of the SRB's are away from the liquid fueled boosters, but they somehow keep getting damaged.

plz help D:

One more thing. Make this compatible with KMP(kerbal multiplayer) and then you got a good mod. Really good mod.

Lol I could just imagine seeing these repurposed for use on the ground to wipe out tank columns

that woul be AWESOME!!!!!!!:D

It should be using something only in space. (example: the engines for R4 boats need to be in water to operate. Also, the Interstellar mod uses a resource for plasma engines that only works in space called "QuantumVacuum")

Sorry if this has been brought up already. Not a lot of time to read the whole thread. But ID have you thought about adding territory control in the form of "map painting" via the kethane grid?

Maybe some hard sci-fi weapons (recoilless kinetic, PPCs and nuclear lasers, for example)

Wait, PPC's? Photon Pulse Cannons? They'd be a bit OP :D

ALSO we need MAC guns (magnetically accelerated cannons)

You'd really wanna a Rail based accelerator weapon in space; the ranges you could fight at would require something quite accurate, and the fixed accelerator rails of a RG give you this; the MAC (or Coilgun for a better term) has a surprising lack of control where the projectile goes (they're still quite accurate though).

One more thing. Make this compatible with KMP(kerbal multiplayer) and then you got a good mod. Really good mod.

ID said he would do this when/if a MP function is added in Vanilla KSP, and probably not before (KMP is too unstable too really)

Sorry if this has been brought up already. Not a lot of time to read the whole thread. But ID have you thought about adding territory control in the form of "map painting" via the kethane grid?

AFAIK that hasn't been said before... That's a really cool idea too, you could make rival nations marked out on the map! Conquests to take new territory! Awesome! :D

@ randomtank

OMG Photon Cannons! srry you guys who dont play starcraft but photon cannons are awesome. Too bad ID will never even consider adding spine crawler for us Zerg players :P

Edited by 736

Hey, I've been playing Skillful and loving every bit of it. I've spotted two bugs, came up with a suggestion, and coded out a submission for your consideration. Snjo said I should post them here, so....well here they are XD

First, the bugs. Transferring ammunition into a turret that isn't in transfer mode eats it. Instead of being returned to the ammo crate, it just blinks out of existence. Also, the CWIS turret "jumps" off its mounts when you try manually aiming and firing with it. I've also encountered the jumping when I set up an anti-air test using the IFF tags and a plane. The final bug is that objects attached to the top of the tank turret or the barrel of the cannon fail to move when it does. They just hover in place.

The second is a suggestion. Your Amoured Chassis part (ArmourBase1) is great on its own, but I discovered that adding a rescaled copy (I titled it ArmourBase2) by setting "RescaleFactor = 1.5" in the config creates a hull that is perfectly sized for cross-compatibility with the RBI Caterpillar tracks mod. I've already made a couple awesome tanks using it.

Screenshot%202014-04-10%2011.02.59.png

Third, the code. I noticed your Armoured Chassis lacked a supply of stack nodes and the attach node is awkwardly placed. I chalked this up to the fact it's still under development and took the liberty of making my own list of nodes, I've posted them below.

Nodes

symmetry example

tessellation example

node_attach = 0.0, -0.22, 0.25, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 2.05, -0.485, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 1.05, -0.485, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.22, -0.485, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.29, -0.68, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.35, -0.85, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.4, -0.485, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.4, -0.90, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -2.4, -0.485, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.27, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
node_stack_top01 = 0.9, -0.22, -0.485, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0
node_stack_top02 = -0.9, -0.22, -0.485, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0
stackSymmetry = 1

That's an awesome idea. It could use Kethane and the currently unimplemented part cost system.

Controlling territory gives you money, money is needed for vehicle parts and ammunition. In order for a territory to be controlled, a flag pole (or other marker) has to be inside that grid space on the kethane map. If a marker from more than one faction exists in that node, it's considered contested, income is distributed evenly among all people who control a grid node if it's contested for a total amount that's below how much somebody would get for controlling it uncontested (the economy suffers in a warzone) A node with no claims in it is considered wilderness and nobody benefits from having it.

Combine it with the extraplanetary launchpads mod to let people set up their own KSC's off-world and this would give real motivation for off-world colonizing and make for some epic long-term conflicts on servers.

I think it's safe to say this has the potential to be the mother of all real-time strategy games.

That's an awesome idea. It could use Kethane and the currently unimplemented part cost system.

Controlling territory gives you money, money is needed for vehicle parts and ammunition. In order for a territory to be controlled, a flag pole (or other marker) has to be inside that grid space on the kethane map. If a marker from more than one faction exists in that node, it's considered contested, income is distributed evenly among all people who control a grid node if it's contested for a total amount that's below how much somebody would get for controlling it uncontested (the economy suffers in a warzone) A node with no claims in it is considered wilderness and nobody benefits from having it.

Combine it with the extraplanetary launchpads mod to let people set up their own KSC's off-world and this would give real motivation for off-world colonizing and make for some epic long-term conflicts on servers.

I think it's safe to say this has the potential to be the mother of all real-time strategy games.

This sounds like a great idea! Although it would be nice if there was mp in ksp so that this could happen. And maybe u should collaborate with a snjo and ID to help them with their mods

This sounds like a great idea! Although it would be nice if there was mp in ksp so that this could happen. And maybe u should collaborate with a snjo and ID to help them with their mods

All of the following has been thought of on the spot, and due to the impulsiveness of it, may be inaccurate, implausible, or potentially insulting.

I'm no good at backend or core programming. At best I can do meshes. I'm better at texturing, config tweaking, and brainstorming.

As far as multiplayer goes, they're currently working on that, and a mod already exists for it. ID said he plans on adding multiplayer support once squad releases the official version of it. Once that happens, I can forsee it only being a short stint of time before people work on some crosspeak between the plugins. Realistically, there's a lot of code that would be needed before that vision could be realized. What I plan on doing is waiting.

0.24 is promising to be a big update with plenty of fun stuff, so we've got that to look forward to. I'm going to wait until the multiplayer update, whenever that will be. Squad has already said that they plan on adding it because of how well-received the multiplayer mod was (not to mention it elegantly solved a lot of the reasons that were why they were against multiplayer modes in the first place) so once that happens the immediate next step will be multiplayer support for the mods.

There's a mission mod that exists already which implements that money system. Kethane has the territories system hashed out and I've worked with their configs before. I've also worked with the launchpads mod (though with only marginal success) so what I'm thinking is that when that update happens and as the mods become multiplayer ready, I could work on compiling tweaks of them into a package that could make that territory capture system viable.

Obviously things like contested territories and stuff are far beyond my ability due to zone and entity detection issues, but I could get a prototype out the door and show it to ID, Snjo, and the others to see what they think. Whether they like it or not is up to them, as I'm only one step above stranger to Snjo and I've never even spoken with ID directly. My goal isn't to make something like that myself (not like I could if I wanted to), just to get the idea into the heads of the guys who really can make it happen.

All of the following has been thought of on the spot, and due to the impulsiveness of it, may be inaccurate, implausible, or potentially insulting.

I'm no good at backend or core programming. At best I can do meshes. I'm better at texturing, config tweaking, and brainstorming.

As far as multiplayer goes, they're currently working on that, and a mod already exists for it. ID said he plans on adding multiplayer support once squad releases the official version of it. Once that happens, I can forsee it only being a short stint of time before people work on some crosspeak between the plugins. Realistically, there's a lot of code that would be needed before that vision could be realized. What I plan on doing is waiting.

0.24 is promising to be a big update with plenty of fun stuff, so we've got that to look forward to. I'm going to wait until the multiplayer update, whenever that will be. Squad has already said that they plan on adding it because of how well-received the multiplayer mod was (not to mention it elegantly solved a lot of the reasons that were why they were against multiplayer modes in the first place) so once that happens the immediate next step will be multiplayer support for the mods.

There's a mission mod that exists already which implements that money system. Kethane has the territories system hashed out and I've worked with their configs before. I've also worked with the launchpads mod (though with only marginal success) so what I'm thinking is that when that update happens and as the mods become multiplayer ready, I could work on compiling tweaks of them into a package that could make that territory capture system viable.

Obviously things like contested territories and stuff are far beyond my ability due to zone and entity detection issues, but I could get a prototype out the door and show it to ID, Snjo, and the others to see what they think. Whether they like it or not is up to them, as I'm only one step above stranger to Snjo and I've never even spoken with ID directly. My goal isn't to make something like that myself (not like I could if I wanted to), just to get the idea into the heads of the guys who really can make it happen.

So glad to see others like the idea. Territory control doesn't have to be fancy but it can open up a whole new aspect of the multiplayer game. Add in KAS, Interstellar, multiple systems, plus many of the other mods people enjoy and it becomes the space sim multiplayer game I have been thinking of since first being exposed to eve. I hope to run a large server one day using a compilation of these mods. Think of the awesome cooperative science or industry to be had, or glorious interstellar warfare.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.