What Planet Is the most awe-inspiring to you?

GamerMitch

What Planet Is the most awe-inspiring to you?  

1. 1. What Planet Is the most awe-inspiring to you?

Duna, because that was the destination for my first interplanetary landing and return. I almost ran out of fuel. I'm not even sure if the return procedures used were the right way to do it. I came back to Kerbin at reaaaally high speeds. Everyone survived to tell the story to the future kerbonauts. :)

Kerbin makes me the happiest because you know it's easy to return from orbit (if you're in a capsule with parachutes, that is)

Jool. Jool system is where i gathered most of my career science. Where i always wanted to fly when i was a little kerbal kid back in 0.17. Where i lost most kerbals. Where i first encountered space kraken. Where i first mined kethane (from an airship anchored at 20 m above terrain).

Jool is not a planet for me, it's a a gods' manison.

Jool, of course. So many different places to explore. It was my first interplanetary (probe) mission back in 0.19, I visited all the moons with tiny drop ships. Now I'm replaying that mission in 0.23 as a manned mission, this time I'm doing it to rack up the science points.

Capt.Sierra,Tell me please!

Short version: I've sent over a dozen missions to that damn system across 4 versions and never once have I succeeded in doing anything.

Long version:

First mission was probably overkill. I wanted to kethane map the entire system. This mission dates to .20.2. I had 4 satellites in 2 tandem craft launched for Jool. The first one I separated because the tandem drive ran out of fuel. The first one crashed into Jool because it ran out of fuel (and these were ION probes) changing inclination (I had come in retrograde). The other remained stuck in the retrograde orbit dancing between Bop and Pol, often getting encounters, too tantalizingly short to capture with so little thrust. While working to save those two, the other pair entered and due to my frequent timewarping and inattentiveness (this was without kerbal alarm clock), I accidentally slingshotted the other tandem out of the system onto an orbit which bounced them between Duna and Dres. I was unable to line anything up without adding about a decade to my game clock, so I abandoned that mission and terminated.

Later I tried to get kethane probes in with a large manned carrier type ship. That mission ran out of fuel while trying to capture into lathe. Lathe spit it back out and Tylo caught it, bringing it in on a collision course. I killed Bob, Bill, and Jeb in that ship. That's 5 failed ships sent.

Multiple more probe missions and even an audacious mission to send two seaplanes to Lathe all failed in some way, eaten by the jolly green giant and her massively shifting SoI of moons. I killed the heroic three at least once more and have also lost the better part of a kethane base sent as a two ship mission by Tylo's oversized SoI throwing monkeywrenches in things.

Duna, because it's the only planet other than kerbin where more kerbals of mine have died. And my first interplanetary ship landed with a little less than one unit of fuel. I'm not sure why, but I didn't trust the parachutes I'd brought along to do anything at all. :)

Duna, because it's the only planet other than kerbin where more kerbals of mine have died. And my first interplanetary ship landed with a little less than one unit of fuel. I'm not sure why, but I didn't trust the parachutes I'd brought along to do anything at all. :)

Duna takes a lot of chutes, and even still, I suggest a slightly powered descent at the very end or bring landertrons. Drogue chutes are your friend.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.