[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

posted this as a github issue, but may as well post it here. (dmagic does not seem to be too active there)

in both stock and SCANSAT, the max altitude for the magnometer for ore scanning is 60 km. this is lower than kerbins atmosphere, and as such, it cannot be feasibly used to scan ore there. is this intended?

14 minutes ago, toric5 said:

posted this as a github issue, but may as well post it here. (dmagic does not seem to be too active there)

in both stock and SCANSAT, the max altitude for the magnometer for ore scanning is 60 km. this is lower than kerbins atmosphere, and as such, it cannot be feasibly used to scan ore there. is this intended?

On ‎2015‎-‎11‎-‎23 at 10:51 AM, DMagic said:

The idea is that the magnetometer is unlocked early and is not meant to be a replacement for the narrow-band scanner, it can only be used at very low altitudes.

Basically this. Although, I don't think most people have Kerbin in mind when thinking of places from which to mine Ore...

20 minutes ago, toric5 said:

Oh! That makes sense. Yeah, unfortunately the intention is that altitude is a limitation of the magnetometer, so you'll have to use the narrow band scanner.

Incidentally, is it one of the DMagic contracts that's asking you to scan Kerbin for Ore? The reason I'm asking is because I'm pretty sure the DMagic one should wait until you have unlocked the Narrow Band scanner before appearing.

11 hours ago, Merkov said:

Oh! That makes sense. Yeah, unfortunately the intention is that altitude is a limitation of the magnetometer, so you'll have to use the narrow band scanner.

Incidentally, is it one of the DMagic contracts that's asking you to scan Kerbin for Ore? The reason I'm asking is because I'm pretty sure the DMagic one should wait until you have unlocked the Narrow Band scanner before appearing.

no, i think scansat is. accepted it thinking i could get away with the magnometer. no big deal.

On 1/14/2017 at 4:37 AM, tomf said:

I'm having a problem using the Undersize signals dish to transmit science. My probe currently has that and an HG-5 antenna to transmit science. The HG-5 is well out of range of anything else. When I try to click science from an experiment it simply disappears The normal uploading messages don't appear and the result is never received in R&D. There also isn't anything obvious in the logs..

Same Problem except i'm well inside my comsat network for even basic antenna, makes me want to disable the transmit functions of all the DMagic devices, even if they are successful now i have an unfolded antenna that is causing serious docking problems.  Don't want to use it as a transmitter.  Simple Fix?

• 2 weeks later...

So, after doing some testing in KSP 1.2.2, I'm about 90% certain that if the ModuleDataTransmitter is "DIRECT" on the base unit, changing it to "RELAY" using the upgrade system in KSP does not work properly with CommNet.  KSP will not use it as a relay to find a path back to home.

I think the better approach is going to be to remove the upgrade node from the tech tree and replace it with duplicated versions of the same parts (with a new part ID), which contain relay functionality.

14 hours ago, WuphonsReach said:

So, after doing some testing in KSP 1.2.2, I'm about 90% certain that if the ModuleDataTransmitter is "DIRECT" on the base unit, changing it to "RELAY" using the upgrade system in KSP does not work properly with CommNet.  KSP will not use it as a relay to find a path back to home.

Just came to report the same thing. Probably they work only when the ship with the relay is loaded. TweakScale had a similar problem with antenna power. The problem was that it is a non-persistent value that affects unloaded vessels. So you can write it in the flight scene, but any changes get lost on unloading and unloaded vessels will always use the value from the part prefab. This is why I removed TweakScale support from the stock relays.

Edited by pellinor

3 hours ago, pellinor said:

Just came to report the same thing. Probably they work only when the ship with the relay is loaded. TweakScale had a similar problem with antenna power. The problem was that it is a non-persistent value that affects unloaded vessels. So you can write it in the flight scene, but any changes get lost on unloading and unloaded vessels will always use the value from the part prefab. This is why I removed TweakScale support from the stock relays.

The solution I'm going to implement in StockAntennaBalance will be to remove the relay capability entirely from the original DMagic parts, then create cloned parts (with a new part ID) that are just relays.  The old upgrade to the original parts won't do anything other then make them more powerful direct-connect antennas.

Lovely... I should have known better than to waste my time with the half-assed part upgrade system they gave us.

I think I can preserve the intended functionality by making the upgrade a simple flag for the three science parts and then just use that to set the attached transmitter module to the correct state. It's not that much trouble to just run through each vessel and check for the required components upon loading, though I'm not sure if it's something CommNet will accept or if it will require some kind of forced update to its network.

5 hours ago, DMagic said:

Lovely... I should have known better than to waste my time with the half-assed part upgrade system they gave us.

I think the problem here is more the antenna system which only allows modding of those values (strength and relay-ability) only in flight but also uses them on unloaded vessels.

Hi, just to chime in : please add "system check" to impact hammer so player can test for proper orientation and if possible stackable sensor pods. With stackable pods, player can use rover to seed the pods from single mount point (for planetary science, not much use for asteroids - unless someone mods 2.5km monstrosities - which now gave me the idea about Armageddon-style missions that require first scanning the asteroid, finding a weakspot and planting bd armory nukes - never leave train of thought running without proper supervision :D )

Edited by fatcargo

13 hours ago, fatcargo said:

Hi, just to chime in : please add "system check" to impact hammer so player can test for proper orientation and if possible stackable sensor pods. With stackable pods, player can use rover to seed the pods from single mount point (for planetary science, not much use for asteroids - unless someone mods 2.5km monstrosities - which now gave me the idea about Armageddon-style missions that require first scanning the asteroid, finding a weakspot and planting bd armory nukes - never leave train of thought running without proper supervision :D )

You forgot the step of finding a "maneuver node" where the delta V from the blast would send each resulting half around opposite sides of Kerbin.

4 hours ago, fwdixon said:

Dmagic,

The [x] Science Mod detects the presence of the Stock Experiments you include for Universal Storage, but is unable to execute them. Thoughts?

The [x] Science has problem with most if not all Orbital Science experiments. I think, it's because you need to deploy them or there is some other animation (like laser beam).

I too have seen the same problem, and i've posted this issue at the [x] science thread. When used with action groups, all Universal Storage science parts do execute properly. Author of [x] science admits there is more work to be done on his addon.

Now when i think of it some more, there is no "failure log" where player can review all science experiments that didn't deploy due to some condition not being met, an alternative to speed-reading failure messages spam on screen.

Orbital Science provides tools for other mods to interact with. If there is a problem with those tools then someone will have to tell me about it, otherwise the issue is on the other end.

21 minutes ago, DMagic said:

Orbital Science provides tools for other mods to interact with. If there is a problem with those tools then someone will have to tell me about it, otherwise the issue is on the other end.

I seem to recall that Science Alert often needed to be tweaked to work with DMOS, not the other way around, so I'm guessing that the DMOS tools probably work fine, but [x] science isn't using them properly. (NOTE: this guess is purely based on gut feeling, not any actual knowledge.)

Is there any rough documentation on the tools that other mods can use to interact with DMOS? I'm brand new to code and really most computer things in general, but I'd like to tinker with this and see a small change on [x] Science's side is all that's needed. I know that a lot of people like both DMOS and [x] science.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...