[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

Max eccentricity for magnetic field contracts is 0.7. On Gilly you can manage that if you get right up to the edges, the SOI boundary is around 115km, you can get past 0.7 with a 7km Pe and an Ap around 100km.

I'm having a problem using the Undersize signals dish to transmit science. My probe currently has that and an HG-5 antenna to transmit science. The HG-5 is well out of range of anything else. When I try to click science from an experiment it simply disappears The normal uploading messages don't appear and the result is never received in R&D. There also isn't anything obvious in the logs..

19 hours ago, DMagic said:

Max eccentricity for magnetic field contracts is 0.7. On Gilly you can manage that if you get right up to the edges, the SOI boundary is around 115km, you can get past 0.7 with a 7km Pe and an Ap around 100km.

It's not the eccentricity, it's trying to gather the data at Pe (below 6km).  If you leave a probe in orbit around Gilly with an altitude below 6km, the game likes to delete the craft. I think my last trial was with a 5km Pe and the probe vanished after a while of being unfocused.

Just curious as to methods folks use with the  Submersible Oceanography and Bathymetry  part...

Thoughts that came to mind were any of the various submarine mods (USI's looks pretty nice) .   Has anyone put one on the end of a KAS winch and lowered it?   I'm getting back into KSP after a long absence and just wanted to see what people have come up with.

28 minutes ago, rottielover said:

Just curious as to methods folks use with the  Submersible Oceanography and Bathymetry  part...

Thoughts that came to mind were any of the various submarine mods (USI's looks pretty nice) .   Has anyone put one on the end of a KAS winch and lowered it?   I'm getting back into KSP after a long absence and just wanted to see what people have come up with.

That's a good idea. I just crash my rovers into the sea. Only gets the upper submerged biome though. I do intend eventually to attach it to the USI sub, but haven't done it yet. My USI sub does not 'fly' very well.

I find the USI sub works pretty well... with a LOT of practice and experimentation. I generally manage to get mine to flip around a bunch, then finally settle pointing slightly downward, then I throttle up and stop touching the controls because I'll only make things worse. The good news is the big inline engine can get those subs up to a pretty decent speed, so once you're pointed in the right direction, it doesn't take too long to get deep enough for new depth biomes.

According to CKAN this mod and For Science! are incompatible. It was pretty insane, it actually broke CKAN so I had to delete all the installed mods and start from scratch, CKAN refused to install or uninstall mods and only ever told me "Error: orbital and for science are incompatible"

Weird.

How can i delete universal storage extra part? I don't need it and i'm trying to stay as low mod part list possible. Thanks.

EDIT: I tryed to delete the UniversaleStorage folder, hope i didn't broke anything! :D

Edited by Shield88

9 minutes ago, Shield88 said:

How can i delete universal storage extra part? I don't need it and i'm trying to stay as low mod part list possible. Thanks.

EDIT: I tryed to delete the UniversaleStorage folder, hope i didn't broke anything! :D

If you're looking to reduce the number of extra parts in your game, I would suggest taking a look at this fine mod by linuxgurugamer

It allows a couple of ways of hiding (or removing) unwanted parts from your game.

1 minute ago, Merkov said:

If you're looking to reduce the number of extra parts in your game, I would suggest taking a look at this fine mod by linuxgurugamer

It allows a couple of ways of hiding (or removing) unwanted parts from your game.

Good suggestion but that's not really what i want.

On 1/14/2017 at 4:37 AM, tomf said:

I'm having a problem using the Undersize signals dish to transmit science. My probe currently has that and an HG-5 antenna to transmit science. The HG-5 is well out of range of anything else. When I try to click science from an experiment it simply disappears The normal uploading messages don't appear and the result is never received in R&D. There also isn't anything obvious in the logs..

Having the same issue here. I built a satellite for my first ever trip to Duna and fit it with every sciencey bit and bob I could find. Have a max upgraded tracking center and 6 antennas just for some overkill in addition to the dish which I didn't know would transmit. Two major issues with the mod are like tomf said, the dish appears to transmit data once and then never transmits anything ever again. Every time I do an experiment and try to transmit the box disappears but no transmit dialogue or sounds pop up. The science is never transmitted and the experiment acts like it was never collected in the first place. Next is when I do transmit science it automatically deploys this massive dish which makes it impossible to keep the craft perfectly straight while under power. What if I want to collect and transmit readings on the way to Duna?

Two suggestions. Fix the dish so that it transmits data or remove its ability to transmit so that other antennas can do that. I really really really hate that it auto deploys and I have a satellite worth 200k in Duna orbit that is doing absolutely nothing. It's extremely frustrating.

*EDIT* Wanted to add that other than this issue, your mod is one I would consider a requirement to play Kerbal and really hope you are absorbed into the stock game at some point. Your mod, the surface experiments mod, and the solar experiments mod are the best science ones out there.

Edited by Mannschaft

Any idea why the "Conduct a survey... around Kerbin" isn't triggering the sub-criteria regarding the orbit? The Mun one did, but it was about two weeks ago in Real Life(tm) or three weeks Kerbin Life(tm). Additionally, the craft has a Mag Boom and RPWS as that was required to complete the "return or transmit data" portion of the contract.

It's like the whole "Enter and maintain..." section is busted.

I've included the vessels KER orbit data in the screenshot as well for orbital verification purposes.

1881d70a-e219-11e6-9c11-c5b67b88dcc5.png

Edited by doktorstick

1 hour ago, doktorstick said:

Any idea why the "Conduct a survey... around Kerbin" isn't triggering the sub-criteria regarding the orbit?

Click on [+] Note. Most probably you have missed something. It can be either, "new craft launched after accepting contract" or craft must contain some other stuff on it, like antenna, solar panels, thermometer or some other sci part that is not related to experiment etc.

If it is new craft, it is good to check those condition on launch site, if you forgot to add something on craft.

It's not that; it was a new ship built specifically for this task after the contract was accepted. FWIW, the note reads:

Vessels do not need to remain active throughout the period specified.

Additionally, the completed portion of that contract was to use the Mag Boom in low and high orbits and the RWPS in low and high orbits. I completed that, so I definitely have those two items on the craft. This second note reads:

Only vessels in orbit around the target planet are tracked.

I opened a bug against ContractConfigurator because there's an exception in the logs. No idea if this is related to that... trying to cover my bases.

From Mission Control:

75da7ad2-e229-11e6-8848-c7d847b02d10.png

Edited by doktorstick

@doktorstick Looking at the error log it seems that something is interrupting the contract update process, this would prevent any contracts after the broken one in the list from updating, which is preventing the part request parameter from the magnetic survey from being marked complete. 

The data collection parameters don't rely on the update process to be marked complete, so they would be unaffected. 

You'll need to find out what is breaking the Rendezvous contract parameter from CC and get rid of it.

I'd like to play my 2nd career game with Orbital Science (in the first game I unlocked all the nodes quickly and easily) and my concern is that new science experiments would make it even easier. Does the mod make it easier to go through tech tree or is there some balancing applied?

I'm sorry if the question was already asked but I have not found any recent info on this.

This is from the KSPedia entry:

cZYR9Ur.png

It mostly speaks for itself; the mod doesn't do anything on its own to address science balance.

There is far too much science, and too many ways to gather it in stock KSP for any kind of real balance. I don't really like simply lowering the science sliders since that just serves to make the game more tedious. My preferred option is not to care about getting all of the science, just get what you need, when you need it. That and knocking down the science multipliers for the Mun and Minmus really help to spread out the game a little.

Edited by DMagic

25 minutes ago, Raphaello said:

I'd like to play my 2nd career game with Orbital Science (in the first game I unlocked all the nodes quickly and easily) and my concern is that new science experiments would make it even easier. Does the mod make it easier to go through tech tree or is there some balancing applied?

I'm sorry if the question was already asked but I have not found any recent info on this.

KCT (Kerbal Construction Time) offers one method of having a science "sink", as you can use Science points to purchase upgrades for your VAB & SPH construction lines to build things faster.  Plus you have to wait for the science node to actually unlock instead of it happening immediately.

Then there are the various strategy mods (Strategia?) which might also provide sinks for the science points.

Or adjust the sliders to reward less funds.  Or convert the science into funds using the stock strategies in the admin building.

Or maybe try the CTT (Community Tech Tree).

If I wanted to change the extending magnetometer so that it only worked in space (remove landed, keep multiple biomes at low orbit and high orbit). What would the correct config settings be? I was playing around with the biome & situation settings, but couldn't figure it out.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Tyko said:

If I wanted to change the extending magnetometer so that it only worked in space (remove landed, keep multiple biomes at low orbit and high orbit). What would the correct config settings be? I was playing around with the biome & situation settings, but couldn't figure it out.

Thanks!

Are you using a science automation mod that you don't want triggering the experiment on the ground? I'm just curious as to what's forcing it to be used on the ground

@Tyko You'll want to change the situationMask and biomeMask values in the science defs file (GameData/DMagicOrbitalScience/Resources/ScienceDefs.cfg) for the magnetometer experiment; it will be the first in the list.

To just remove the surface results you can change the situationMask to 48 (32 + 16 for low and high orbit) and the biomeMask to 0. If you want biome-specific data for low and/or high orbit you'll need to change the biomeMask to 16, 32, or 48 (for low orbit biomes, high orbit biomes, or both, respectively). Be aware that very few experiments give biome-specific data for high orbit, and you won't get biome specific text for either orbital situation, just the same text for each data set.

Also, there is nothing preventing you from extending the magnetometer, regardless of the science settings.