[Showcase] Engine Clustering!

If you're like me and you're completely and utterly dissatisfied with the stock engines (Or the mod ones), or perhaps want something to fit a specific need, engine clustering is the way to go. Additionally, if you know the math, you can very easily engineer them as you like. In any case, engine clustering is simply the best way to take on the job. So let's see yours! Stock or otherwise is absolutely fine.

I'll start:

hHLkOa5.png?1

Presenting the Asimov 1B. 970 kilo-newtons of thrust, specific impulse of 443 seconds, weighing in at approximately 8.5 tons, and, according to my chicken-scratch mathematics, capable of turning an orange tank into an SSTO.

4w6AKHI.jpg?2

I apologize in advance. I can't read my handwriting either.

The specific impulse of a cluster can't be higher than the highest ISP of the constituent engines, so unless you have some LV-Ns hidden in there the ISP of that cluster can't be more than 390 (the ISP of the Poodle and Aerospike).

Edited by MockKnizzle

Clusters look a lot better but I'm not sure if they're always more efficient. I had 9 LVT-30s, which KER said had less Delta V (forgot about the ISP though) than a mainsail. I'm still looking into it.

BTW, lajoswinkler, you don't need parts clipping to make clusters. The ones I have been working on don't use the part clipping option so users can feel cheat-free. :) (not to offend any "clippers" out there)

guess I don't understand the bias some have against clipping. You don't need the cheat console to do it and it provides you with more options in more steamlined packages.

That "bias" is the fear that such engine will explode randomly in time. Yes, that happens and it wrecks missions.

They look wedged inside one of another to me... Isn't that the state of being clipped?

Clipping from the default editor settings is "technically" not clipping. There is a option in the debug menu for allow parts clipping, that is what I mean by clipped. You could still "clip" without the option, but it's a lot more limited and you shouldn't feel guilty about it, well, it's allowed by default. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.