Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Been working on a PPTS/soyuz/singularity-mod inspired spacecraft purely for the aesthetics. I've finally been able to attach the boosters without it breaking the craft file (I had to save them as subassemblies and reload them to prevent the duplication when placing groups of clipped parts bug) and it's almost working flawlessly now! The sound of the first stage engines spooling up is also glorious :cool:

-snip-

Ah that bug has wrecked many soyuzs of mine in the past. It is my worst enemy.

I am trying new engine configurations as I think the engines are the source of the problems.

Jup, definitely the engines. If you fix it can you show me how. I have the same problem with a lot of crafts.

Gue

Fitting landing legs to my SSTO was brilliant. Super easy to land precisely now.

wpwFipk.png

JnR2yJh.png

Lower wheels, retract the bottom landing leg...and it flips over onto the wheels:

npFDUdN.png

Refuelling with Kethane now. The solar panels fully power the miner and converter even if not fully exposed. Should I have to land on the dark side, I also have a Kethane electricity generator on board.

Great deltaV thanks to plasma thrusters. TWR above 1 on Kerbin's surface. Very stable to fly in atmosphere, but maybe a tiny bit too responsive.

Edited by John Crichton

That problem sounds weird. My old Soyuz would always want to start rolling on liftoff, but not to the point of pitching over. Could it be a symmetry error?

Upon further study, my SLS isn't tall enough.

Edited by GusTurbo

Hmmm....I don't like it.

zsUta8P.png

Not to mention it's flimsy as hell.

I jabbed a Javelin in the side with one of those pointy sticks at 25m/s.

Damage given.

2AMBY9X.png

Damage sustained.

GyGyQbt.png

EDIT:The javelin is the small one.

Edited by Spartwo

Here's a better look for my SLS:

fl61bUm.png

Strangely, it wants to start pitching over ever so slightly to the east. I need to fix that.

[edit]

I really don't know if it is fixable. It seems to be related to the clipped parts. Crap.

Edited by GusTurbo

Here's a better look for my SLS:

http://i.imgur.com/fl61bUm.png

Strangely, it wants to start pitching over ever so slightly to the east. I need to fix that.

[edit]

I really don't know if it is fixable. It seems to be related to the clipped parts. Crap.

That's looking really, really nice! :)

Although it is still a bit short, even after making it taller. Try adding more structural fuselages under those tanks at the top. I've tried making the SLS about 30 times and all have failed from bad design, usually from exploding clipped parts. I've tried numerous setups on the fuel tanks and engines. Best of luck to your's!

@Redrobin you think it's big enough?:confused:

Alright, Astroliner Mega Comet worked fine... now it's time to get more serious.

Astroliner VI - Venera:

A small space freighter! right now consists of less than 500 parts...

Can put 36 tons on LKO and return. Intended to put smaller cargo on other planets.

ezvr83f.png

uzmbRfp.png

Of course since it's a WIP... it has some bugs.

For instance, its butt is too heavy when empty so THIS happens:

ETxhJgH.png

But I landed anyway...

auBAHJ3.png

It also has an excellent braking system that work even when flying, and even in space!!! :confused:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Can also put 9 tons on Duna, run out of fuel and crash on it. If I was only a half-idiot I'd realize sooner that I've put less than a jumbo tank of fuel capacity on it :(

Edited by Overfloater

KissSh0t I'm so glad you like it!

Update!!!

Venera now has the fuel capacity of a 1.125 orange tank, and only 8 jets. Still capable of putting 36 tons into orbit.

So far, has proven itself useless - last stop was achieving Duna orbit after unloading. Landed quite easily though(!).

jbUJiJ7.png

EzNtZn2.png

KD3Ak0b.png

So... it needs some minor redesigning but I'm very reluctant about changing its look!