Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Like everyone else I was playing with Wing Commander, sorry about the dark shot, I was actually flying most of the time from a different airfield that was in full daylight, then I came back to mess with Wing Commander and just did not worry about the lighting.

q8JUTep.png

The AI is experiencing the flat spins, but it can recover and I never do, does that mean it's a batter pilot than me?

1 hour ago, selfish_meme said:

Like everyone else I was playing with Wing Commander, sorry about the dark shot, I was actually flying most of the time from a different airfield that was in full daylight, then I came back to mess with Wing Commander and just did not worry about the lighting.

q8JUTep.png

The AI is experiencing the flat spins, but it can recover and I never do, does that mean it's a batter pilot than me?

These formation shots always look good in the day or night, I've been trying to get my Spritz Craft with six in formation in space and it's been very challenging!

I was working on the Prinz Eugen on Friday, and I finished the back half, but now it appears its gotten corrupted, with it having "no dimensions". Older backup versions of the ship aren't appearing in the SPH selection of ships, which concerns me, even though I have them in the SPH folder. 

So I had a couple of ideas and thought about integrating them into an easy to use Duna/Laythe mission vehicle. I wanted it to be relatively low part count, easy enough for a newbie to fly and sort of cruise in style without a lot of muss and fuss. It should be able to land - at a chosen location, so a range extending winged shuttle vehicle seemed a good way to get down. The crew should be able to get back to orbit to rendevous with the mothership. They should be able to come home and land, not in a capsule but by gliding down all plush style. So this is what I came up with, an SSTO mothership with interplanetary drive in the rear cargo bay. In the middle cargo bay is a mk2 shuttle descent vehicle, which will have some small engines to extend flight and rove a bit on the surface. Inside IT's cargo bay is a mk1 ascent vehicle that either rises on VTOL jets, or maybe a landing leg tilt to takeoff angle. I almost spent more time writing this than I did building this rough prototype, what do you think?

Edit: Oh I was thinking of calling it the Matroyska!

nGym6rY.png

Edited by selfish_meme

18 hours ago, SaturnianBlue said:

I was working on the Prinz Eugen on Friday, and I finished the back half, but now it appears its gotten corrupted, with it having "no dimensions". Older backup versions of the ship aren't appearing in the SPH selection of ships, which concerns me, even though I have them in the SPH folder. 

Is KSP out of memory? Send me a couple of those files, maybe it's nothing.

34 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Is KSP out of memory? Send me a couple of those files, maybe it's nothing.

I'm pretty sure KSP isn't running out of memory, and none of the files seems to have zero KB, and after screwing around resetting the setting.cfg and taking mods in and out, it worked for an older backup of the craft... Kinda. When I edited it, it crashed again (though at 2.84 GB and not 3GB like it usually does), then that file met the same fate as the earlier one... It's at 940 parts now, that might have something to do with it. I know of similar cases on the forums, but on different OSs.

The Matroyska project is coming along well, pretty much added some struts and shifted some things around. First time turning the engines on.

It's utterly awesome and absurd at the same time, but when the rear cargo bays open and the nukes fire up it is just awesome, 89 parts so far

Edited by selfish_meme

Spider engine suspension has taken my attention for around a week. I've made two vehicles with this suspension, one being this simple car weighing in at 3.4 tons. There's only one thing to test and that's how well it absorbs impact... well lets just say in the testing, we fell 27 meters before hitting the ground at a speed of 21 meters per second, enduring over 2g's of near instantaneous deceleration.... Surprisingly, the wheels survived therefore exemplifying the rover wheel's durability drastically increased by simply attaching it to two radial spider engines. 

wnB41ew.png

4RUUS3Q.png

Prinz Eugen Heavy Cruiser work continues, with the upper bridge finished, now I'm on the highest floor for the tower, then I need to work on the rigging and attaching the secondary armament of the Prinz Eugen, and paint it up. Yes, the ship has now reached quadruple digit numbers...:confused:

1 hour ago, ghostbuzzer7 said:

Spider engine suspension has taken my attention for around a week. I've made two vehicles with this suspension, one being this simple car weighing in at 3.4 tons. There's only one thing to test and that's how well it absorbs impact... well lets just say in the testing, we fell 27 meters before hitting the ground at a speed of 21 meters per second, enduring over 2g's of near instantaneous deceleration.... Surprisingly, the wheels survived therefore exemplifying the rover wheel's durability drastically increased by simply attaching it to two radial spider engines. 

It works wonders doesn't it! I cannot wait to test the 1.1 wheels though. I wonder if we will be able to adjust them?

Work on the next truck of the Kelaz series is progressing well. It drives really good at this point at only 220ish parts. Now All I have to do is add the dump bucket on the rear. And add more braking systems to make it control easier. Its a lot larger and heavier than the original so I made sure to give it more surface area by having dualie wheel setups on each side. The wheels sported are brand new lower part versions of previous designs. The old wheels were about 17 parts each and these new ones are 13 parts each and have less rolling resistance.

It actually is faster than the smaller version. This can cruise at speeds faster than 22 M/S often faster than small regular electric powered rovers. Unfortunately no matter how durable this is treating it like the ultimate off-roader is not the smartest thing to do. Its the weight of several small rockets. Mechanical failures over rough terrain at high speeds are prevalent. But it should be fine on any terrain at speeds under 15 M/S.

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

Edited by Jon144

Gato balancing and trimming continues. I feel like a real submariner, fooling around with the exact locations of ballast in the sub.
8Z3udmZ.jpg
48zCVJQ.jpg

I hate to jinx myself, but I feel like I'm getting very close to finding the right balance to get this thing to submerge.

EDIT: Still looking for that priest...

Edited by pTrevTrevs

2 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Gato balancing and trimming continues. I feel like a real submariner, fooling around with the exact locations of ballast in the sub.
I hate to jinx myself, but I feel like I'm getting very close to finding the right balance to get this thing to submerge.

EDIT: Still looking for that priest...

I found that Shuttles and Subs are very challenging, my Scuba Do took an awful lot of tweaking. Your sub looks really nice!

The daily report on the Prinz Eugen: It's done!... Kinda... The tower is fully finished, as well as the rigging, and small calibre-AA guns have been installed, but now I need to send the 1106 part vessel for sea trials, and begin testing the 105 MM placeholder secondary guns, and I may need to move the smokestacks and subsequently several components in the back, due to a oversight. I also repainted the deck for a more "woody" feel, and I painted the upper half of the hull slightly reddish gray, and the main superstructures slightly greyer.  

Edited by SaturnianBlue

AirLift One

AirLift One will be my next release on the Spacecraft Exchange. One successful delivery of a Jeep Rover S7-JR was a very exciting accomplishment. At the moment I have been swapping engines to see which will work best for forward thrust and fuel usage. With three Pilots, two Engineers, a Cargo Operations Chief and Passengers the total personnel is near 40. The Engine Room is much like other large Dropships I've built and the action is very sluggish also. I could release this now but would not be happy with its balancing on liftoff. 

Sea trials commence, with the Prinz Eugen sailing at 16.1 M/s (~31 Kn), which is fairly close to the real thing. Still need to test the secondaries, but the ship waterline is perfect for now. While not shown, the turning seems to be ok. The Time Physics Ratio Viewer is telling me it's at 12%... At 2X warp! Guns are in working order. The steam usage is still slightly in the negative, which means that I will need a medium boiler.

Left my Prinz Eugen sailing through the night, speed is now confirmed at 16.7 M/s. I've added the KVV, and the secondary guns are in place.

Link to a secondary gun test.

SX5xL4D.png

UGcXaAK.pngSadly, most times the Prinz Eugen will just splash into the water and not move, even at full throttle before striking the water, which is something I need to fix before release.