Space Shuttles: Do you Build/Use Them?

Jodo42

I tried a few times to build a STS-style shuttle, but i could never manage to get my center of thrust in line with the center of mass. Instead i have built a small Hermes-style shuttle with a rocket underneath:

mDRCis0.jpg?1

This is my version that can carry a small payload on top of it (without payload it's a lot more stable though). It doesn't have a real purpose (and it's not that pretty either), but i wanted to have atleast some kind of a shuttle in my fleet :)

That's extremely impressive Giggle! It's too bad cargo bays are rather difficult to replicate in stock KSP. Hopefully something we won't have to worry about too much longer...

ᶜᵃʳáµÂáµ’ ᵇᵃʸˢ ᶠᵒʳ ⋅²â´ ᵖᶫᵉᵃˢᵉ﹗

I'd love to see the launcher for it. Or can it get up on its own?

I suppose I should add my own shuttle to this thread. Been working on it for a few days, and I can just barely get it into a 100km orbit. Landing, is, uh... we haven't managed a safe landing yet. Also, there's no cargo capacity. But it's still a prototype!

http://i.imgur.com/OKnMClA.png

http://i.imgur.com/3xXUaAA.png

The thread is in my signature, but here's what it looks like during launch.

iUJEjMh.png

No engines on the ET.

YQ1Ud0kh.jpg

Edited by Giggleplex777

When I decided to make a shuttle, I felt an important aspect was all the engines (except the SRBs) needed to be reusable.

GUvCkBz.png

I've used it to set up satellites around Kerbin, Mun and Minmus, and to set things on escape trajectories.

Using B9 and the space shuttle engines pack I've designed some shuttles in the iconic NASA style. I recounted the development in this report

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66965-Developing-a-shuttle-program-Pic-Heavy

I know it's not efficient, though I am getting a fair amount of use out of them. The cargo version has been launching ion probes

JR9dUTF.jpg

and the crew transfer version (which can reach a slightly higher orbit) has been getting a lot of use ferrying station crews and bringing back the crew of my grand tour ship

orixo9Q.jpg

To be honest when I play KSP, efficiency isn't nearly so important as style, and you have to admit that shuttles are a stylish way to travel.

This is a mod that came out last week, and which a lot of people had been waiting for for many months: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/68429-Kerbin-Shuttle-Orbiter-System. It is totally awesome. Firstly because it looks awesome, secondly because it fits six Kerbals which you can move around, thirdly because it has a nice working cargo bay with which to deploy satelites or bring resources to your station. Lastly it uses RPM, or Raster Prop Monitor for the displays inside the cockpit. These display all sorts of information and allow you to fly the vessel from IVA which adds a whole new dimension to KSP.

For the purposes of this thread, any vehicle that can fly or glide in an atmosphere, and is assisted to orbit with rockets, is a shuttle.

Yes I do build and use spaceplanes. Although in practice I'm only using one as a crew-shuttle at the moment I am on-and-off working towards one that can act as a medium tanker. They're either a pain to fly if you want to get to space or great fun to fly if flight-sims are your thing. It's nice to know you can build them but for most people it probably isn't worth it. The best roleplay reason for using them is just the reusability but, to be frank, a jet-assisted rocket that parachutes back is just as reusable, almost as efficient (wings aren't much use) and much, much easier.

Not really. I use fully disposable rockets, but my upper stages are reusable. To the point where my space tugs will run as long as they have fuel.

My crew deployment and return vehicles are 100% reusable. They'll go up on a rocket, land on chutes, and can just be hauled in, refueled, and sent up again.

Generally, all of my stuff is either a reusable vehicle, or is left in space to be reused up there.

I've always built a smaller shuttle variant. There is an engine on the bottom of the ET but still has the shuttle concept.

On the launchpad

screenshot19.png

Docked to the "ISS"

screenshot30.png

Re-entry pictures are always beautiful!

screenshot42.png

Edited by bigdad84

What advantage does such a design offer over other options that don't involve dragging giant wings up into an environment without an atmosphere where they're really just a larger target for stuff to hit?

1. It doesn't bring along useless jet engines. (SSTOs do)

2. It actually can carry an appreciable amount of kerbals/cargo. (SSTOs can't)

3. It isn't 90% dead weight once in orbit. (SSTO's are)

4. Debris isn't really a problem.

5. You shouldn't put anything near docking ports dedicated to space craft anyways.

I am currently building a Dyna-Soar replica; it can be launched from a rocket or from an airplane. I am using mods such as Stock Expansion and NovaPunch for both cosmetic AND technical purposes - for example there is no fuel tank on the space glider, but there is RCS fuel. This is why I stuck a couple of MPR-5R's onto the sides so that in case of being stuck in orbit a landing can always be arranged instead of a rescue mission being required.

I don't know that I will continue to build shuttles, but I personally just wanted to see if I could. They are definitely a lot more fun since landing them isn't as simple as dropping out of orbit and deploying a chute. I'm a flight simulator junkie so flying the craft from start to finish is the reason why I like them. Anyways, here is my MkX Reusable Orbiter. I made a challenge if anyone is interested in landing this design.

Tmkx_1.jpg

Tmkx_5.jpg

Tmkx_3.jpg

Tmkx_6.jpg

AmpsterMan i think i m gonna start a company at start focus on shuttle and others things ,

i wanted to put a section like some help to fix your craft and explain the modification that you made.

I'm not sure to create a comany or find one but if the idea like you let me know

xzxvrx don't send me yours, it will melt my computer and it's far beyond my ksp skills ;)

Edited by Cakeofruit

1. It doesn't bring along useless jet engines. (SSTOs do)

2. It actually can carry an appreciable amount of kerbals/cargo. (SSTOs can't)

3. It isn't 90% dead weight once in orbit. (SSTO's are)

4. Debris isn't really a problem.

5. You shouldn't put anything near docking ports dedicated to space craft anyways.

You do know there are options that don't involve single stage to orbit concepts, right?

There aren't many mission profiles where a space plane or shuttle works better than a standard cargo/crew pod stuck on top of a rocket. They might not look flashy, but they sure get the job done.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.